Remote Desktop Connection or VNC HELP

I have an MN-700 router. I need to either vnc or do a
remote desktop connection from work to home. I know my
cable isp blocks all common ports. I also set up port
forwarding on my router for those common ports and also
other ports. Is there any way that i can set either of
those up without using common ports. I have it working
within my network. If i put my router given ip address in
it will work. If i give the ip given by my isp it will
not. Someone please help.
13 answers Last reply
More about remote desktop connection help

    Have you tried testing it from outside your network? AFAIK the MN-700 does
    not support "loopback" - in other words, referring to your external IP from
    inside your network will not work (apparently MS is working on supporting
    this feature sometime in the future) It may be that the port forwarding
    would work fine if you are coming from the outside (a friend's house?)

    HTH

    "Jano" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have an MN-700 router. I need to either vnc or do a
    > remote desktop connection from work to home. I know my
    > cable isp blocks all common ports. I also set up port
    > forwarding on my router for those common ports and also
    > other ports. Is there any way that i can set either of
    > those up without using common ports. I have it working
    > within my network. If i put my router given ip address in
    > it will work. If i give the ip given by my isp it will
    > not. Someone please help.

    No i havent tried that...i thought that router supported
    loopback..do you think if it was working for me internally
    with the ports i specified it would work outside of my
    network??

    I believe that it likely would work. Best to try it however from work or a
    friend's house etc.

    There are rumours in this ng that MS will be releasing a firmware upgrade
    for the MN-700 (perhaps others) and some have speculated that this would
    have to coincide with the release of XP-SP2 since some other items have to
    be taken care of in the wireless product line for compatibility with SP2...
    I am just a user of MS wireless products and a lurker here so I have no
    specific knowledge of anything MS might or might not be doing.

    > No i havent tried that...i thought that router supported
    > loopback..do you think if it was working for me internally
    > with the ports i specified it would work outside of my
    > network??

    Well thanx for everything. I am going to try this when i
    get home tonite. I will let you know tomorrow.

    I have this working on my network without a problem. If
    you can't get it working, email me and we can compare
    settings.

    Keep in mind that I very rarely check this board, and I'm
    only in email once in a while, so my response may not be
    immediate.

    FWIW, I agree with Rich and Kerry.

    This is probably already working. I doubt that your ISP blocks these ports.

    I'd stick with Remote Desktop, unless you've downloaded and are using the
    encryption piece for use with some newer VNC variants--UltraVnc, for
    example.

    Good help may be found in newsgroup:
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.work_remotely

    > Well thanx for everything. I am going to try this when i
    > get home tonite. I will let you know tomorrow.

    Thank you all for your help. My remote desktop connection
    is now running great. Another question though. Do any of
    you run an ftp server? If so what program do you use. I
    was using Serv-U and i was able to log in just fine but i
    can not get it to list the directory and then it drops the
    ftp connection?

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Thank you all for your help. My remote desktop connection
    is now running great. Another question though. Do any of
    you run an ftp server? If so what program do you use. I
    was using Serv-U and i was able to log in just fine but i
    can not get it to list the directory and then it drops the
    ftp connection?

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    I would look at Filezilla - a great freeware FTP client AND server:

    http://filezilla.sourceforge.net/

    The problem you are currently experiencing is likely due to your server not
    configured to handle passive FTP - you may want to read up on that issue
    too.

    HTH

    > Thank you all for your help. My remote desktop connection
    > is now running great. Another question though. Do any of
    > you run an ftp server? If so what program do you use. I
    > was using Serv-U and i was able to log in just fine but i
    > can not get it to list the directory and then it drops the
    > ftp connection?

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    I tried that. When i was using my ip in there. It wasnt
    even connecting. I setup passive mode though but it is
    still not bringing in the directory listing. Anymore
    ideas?

  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Sounds like you need to setup passive mode.

    Forward a bunch of ports (30000-30009) to the computer running Serv-U
    Then tell Serv-U to use those ports (30000-30009) for passive mode and tell
    Serv-U to use your WAN IP as the passive mode ip.

    That should take care of that.

    Active mode issues are always due to the person connecting to the FTP.
    Without an ALG, active mode is very difficult to get working through
    firewalls and/or shared connections due to the way it expects to see
    listening ports (your firewall/router/whatever won't know to open those
    ports and direct them to the requesting computer)... hence the need for
    passive mode FTP

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    > Thank you all for your help. My remote desktop connection
    > is now running great. Another question though. Do any of
    > you run an ftp server? If so what program do you use. I
    > was using Serv-U and i was able to log in just fine but i
    > can not get it to list the directory and then it drops the
    > ftp connection?

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    There is no loopback support in the MN700 (yet)
    so if you are trying to use passive mode from within your own LAN, it won't
    work.

    --

    > I tried that. When i was using my ip in there. It wasnt
    > even connecting. I setup passive mode though but it is
    > still not bringing in the directory listing. Anymore
    > ideas?

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    No, i was trying it from another network. It still would
    not let me in.

Routers Remote Desktop Internet Service Providers Networking