Help on 32bit and 64bit windows 7

Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
hi i recently installed windows 7 32 bit from my current vista 32 bit i have recently upgraded my ram to 4gb and now have more than enough memory to run windows 7 64 bit how do i go about this? will i lose all my games files etc. thanks

Solution
You will have to do a clean install. You cannot do an in-place upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.

You'll need to backup your user profiles using Easy Windows Transfer to a separate drive (or DVD or some other backup medium), format the drive, install 64-bit Windows 7, restore the user profiles using Easy Windows Transfer, and then reinstall all your programs/games. There is no way do to an in-place upgrade.

Also, you better first check and make sure all the hardware you currently have has 64-bit drivers. If they don't have 64-bit Windows 7 drivers, check to see if they have 64-bit Vista drivers. If so, then you're good to go, otherwise, your hardware may not work under 64-bit Windows.

isamuelson

Distinguished
You will have to do a clean install. You cannot do an in-place upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit.

You'll need to backup your user profiles using Easy Windows Transfer to a separate drive (or DVD or some other backup medium), format the drive, install 64-bit Windows 7, restore the user profiles using Easy Windows Transfer, and then reinstall all your programs/games. There is no way do to an in-place upgrade.

Also, you better first check and make sure all the hardware you currently have has 64-bit drivers. If they don't have 64-bit Windows 7 drivers, check to see if they have 64-bit Vista drivers. If so, then you're good to go, otherwise, your hardware may not work under 64-bit Windows.

Solution

Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

sorry to sound like a noob but how will i check my drivers?? if they are 32 bit is there anyway of overcoming this problem thanks again

isamuelson

Distinguished

Go to the hardware manufacturer's website and see if they have 64-bit Vista or Windows 7 drivers.

Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

yeah mate just found it i have a 32 bit operating system, what so i can buy the drivers? or will i have to but a new machine? thanks

isamuelson

Distinguished

Drivers are free. Just jot down all the hardware you have hooked up to your machine (video card, printer, card readers, motherboard, game controllers, etc) and go to the website for each piece of hardware and go to their support/download section. See if they have 64-bit drivers to download. If all they have are 32-bit drivers, then that hardware will more than likely NOT work with 64-bit.

You shouldn't have to "buy" new drivers for existing hardware. Those are free (I have yet to see a hardware manufacturer charge you for new drivers for hardware).

Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

sorry to be a pest mate so do u know when i go on my control panel and vie devices will i need to upgrade every single thing on that list prossesors?? or just everything listed in the system device type??

isamuelson

Distinguished
Most of the stuff on your motherboard should be covered by going to your motherboard manufacturer's website. As long as they have drivers, you should be good to go. The other hardware I'm talking about is external to the motherboard (PCIe video cards, sound cards, printers, game pads, etc).

Just post your system specs so we know what your system has. That will help us serve you better.

Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

no probs mate

Processor: intel core 2 quad CPU Q6600 @2.40MHz

Installed Memory: 4.00 GB (3.25 usable) This is why i wanna upgrade to 64 bit

Graphics: 1 GB radeon HD 4670 Managed to get settings for that

isamuelson

Distinguished

What about the motherboard manufacturer? That will determine if there are any drivers for it. Is this a home-built system or is it like a Dell or HP machine?

Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

its an advent mate where will i find out what mother board it has? once again apreciate u helping me

Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

yeah ok mate i have downloaded that and got the full profil summary of my system what is it iam looking for? is it main circut Board?

Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

iam struggling mate any chance of u helping mate thanx

isamuelson

Distinguished

I can't help you there short of coming over and opening it up.

On the out side, does it say anything (Dell, HP, etc)? If not (did someone build this for you, did you buy it from a computer store, etc)?

Without the information on who manufactured the PC, there's not much else I can do.

Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

Advent Quad core
the full spec is
Adavent core 2 quad CPU Q6600 @ 240GHz is that any help mate?

Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
thanks mate, just one last thing am not quite sure exactly what drives and other programs/on i need to convert to 64 bit any chance of a list of the main things that i need to get 64 bit versions of thanks again

Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

thanks mate so do i install windows 64 then update my drives or vice verser, i have just tried to install my64bit version of my graphics card that i down loaded of the ati web site and it says the program did not install correctly please install the windows thats compatable with this program thanks

Collier2010

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010

hi mate thanks again for all the help you gave me i have managed to install a version of a windows 7 64bit iot still i saying my memory (RAM) is 4.00 (3.25) usable but now my memory rating (windows 7 index) has went dowen from 7.1 to 5.9 do u know why this is thanks