Closed

Cannot delete files off desktop error message

ok, basically i downloaded the now freeware game stargunner to my documents.
It however decided to put stuff on my desktop. I tryed the game and i didnt
like it so i proceeded to delete it. Everything deleted fine except for 3
things on my desktop. "SETUP", "STARGUN", and "STARHELP". When i try to
delete, i get the message

"Cannot delete [file name]: It is being used by another person or program.
Close any programs that might be using this file and try again."

I tryed restarting in safemode and i think i did it right, I hit F8 when it
got to the screen with the word Dell on it, Then i selected safe mode from
the list and comp started. It said safe mode in some places on border and
resolution lowered. I still couldnt delete in this mode.
I also tryed using the program Wholockme, and it said the things were beig
locked by explorer.exe. Any help will be appreciated, thank you.
4 answers Last reply
More about cannot delete files desktop error message

    Did you try to uninstall the game from Control Panel>Add/Remove
    Programs? If not there go to C:\Program Files and
    delete the Game Folder. Then go to Start>Run type: regedit click Ok
    Navigate to
    HKey_Local_Machine\Software and remove the game folder Same with
    HKey_Current_User\Software

    "Manias329" <Manias329@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > ok, basically i downloaded the now freeware game stargunner to my
    > documents.
    > It however decided to put stuff on my desktop. I tryed the game and i
    > didnt
    > like it so i proceeded to delete it. Everything deleted fine except for 3
    > things on my desktop. "SETUP", "STARGUN", and "STARHELP". When i try to
    > delete, i get the message
    >
    > "Cannot delete [file name]: It is being used by another person or program.
    > Close any programs that might be using this file and try again."
    >
    > I tryed restarting in safemode and i think i did it right, I hit F8 when
    > it
    > got to the screen with the word Dell on it, Then i selected safe mode from
    > the list and comp started. It said safe mode in some places on border and
    > resolution lowered. I still couldnt delete in this mode.
    > I also tryed using the program Wholockme, and it said the things were beig
    > locked by explorer.exe. Any help will be appreciated, thank you.

    Delete A File That Is Seemingly "Undeletable"
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Manias329 wrote:
    > ok, basically i downloaded the now freeware game stargunner to my documents.
    > It however decided to put stuff on my desktop. I tryed the game and i didnt
    > like it so i proceeded to delete it. Everything deleted fine except for 3
    > things on my desktop. "SETUP", "STARGUN", and "STARHELP". When i try to
    > delete, i get the message
    >
    > "Cannot delete [file name]: It is being used by another person or program.
    > Close any programs that might be using this file and try again."
    >
    > I tryed restarting in safemode and i think i did it right, I hit F8 when it
    > got to the screen with the word Dell on it, Then i selected safe mode from
    > the list and comp started. It said safe mode in some places on border and
    > resolution lowered. I still couldnt delete in this mode.
    > I also tryed using the program Wholockme, and it said the things were beig
    > locked by explorer.exe. Any help will be appreciated, thank you.
  3. Reload the game again and then go to Start, Programs and find that game (if that is where it was installed) and click on your game to see if there is an uninstall. If not go to Add/Remove and find the game and remove it. Then restart your computer.
  4. 7 year old thread!

Desktops Error Message Windows XP