software will not install

When I try to load some software that is an executable file, it will not load
saying "windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may
not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" or another says it
"cannot execute the external program". I am the only user and have admin
rights. When these programs are loaded on another system it seems as if the
files it cannot load are similar to popup files. I have uninstalled my virus
software still no luck. Any suggestions?

Check at Kelly's http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm Select
E and scroll to Executable Files.
"Rrrrobert" <Rrrrobert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I try to load some software that is an executable file, it will not
> load
> saying "windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may
> not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" or another says
> it
> "cannot execute the external program". I am the only user and have admin
> rights. When these programs are loaded on another system it seems as if
> the
> files it cannot load are similar to popup files. I have uninstalled my
> virus
> software still no luck. Any suggestions?

It didn't work. I don't have any viruses according to norton antivirus, and
the reg patch didn't help either. Any other suggestions?

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Check at Kelly's http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm Select
> E and scroll to Executable Files.
> "Rrrrobert" <Rrrrobert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When I try to load some software that is an executable file, it will not
> > load
> > saying "windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may
> > not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" or another says
> > it
> > "cannot execute the external program". I am the only user and have admin
> > rights. When these programs are loaded on another system it seems as if
> > the
> > files it cannot load are similar to popup files. I have uninstalled my
> > virus
> > software still no luck. Any suggestions?

What happens in Safe mode?
regards,
ssg MS-MVP