SMS Diplomacy

Last response: in Video Games
March 6, 2005 8:52:59 PM

Has any one considered this? It seems to me that one of the biggest problems
with lateness in games is that people are simply too busy sometimes to keep
up with constants demands of a game. SMS diplomacy may help people who have
this difficulty.

There are a few degrees to using SMS in a game:

1. A game set up specifically on a judge with powers being aware they need a
mobile phone. Mobile numbers are swapped and all powers communicate
diplomatically via SMS. Obviously orders would still need to be input via
email, which doesn't solve the problem of lateness, but this may mean the
powers can communicate more easily.

2. Powers register for an email to sms service on the web (eg.
www.excell.to) to enable them to send and recieve email directly to and from
the judge. This could be done individually and the other players in a game
need never know a player is recieving press via SMS.

3. A judge is created (by a person more technical than me),to enable extra
commands say, PRESS TO F VIA SMS, which would route press to a mobile phone
rather than the normal email client. Obviously registration on the judge
would have to include a mobile number.

4. Build a WAP judge which accepts orders and the reading/writing of press
via WAP and the internet.

Obvious problems with using SMS in diplomacy games would be:

- keeping the service free
- keeping the game international
- overcoming the obvious technical hurdles
- integrating SMS with normal email press for those without mobile phones

I am a relative newbie, what do you more experienced Diplomacy players thing
of these ideas? Could this be the equivalent of when postal diplomacy moved
to PBEM, updated for the 21st century?

Thoughts welcome, if its a rubbish idea please tell me.

Cheers,
Chris

More about : sms diplomacy

Anonymous
March 6, 2005 9:36:40 PM

It's surely not a rubbish idea, it is only a matter of time.
Initially, you might want to do it for "local" games where the
mobile charges would be reduced, but everything expands.

Few here probably remember it, but when E-Mail games started
they were at first somewhat limited. You had to specify
domains through gateways and E-Mail through them was unreliable.
Some of the E-Mail unreliability was, you will recall, why
E-Mail games started out "no-NMR", a pattern that still persists
in most E-Mail settings. Eventually, the technology and ease of
communication across domains improved, and FINALLY they got away
from those darned gateways which were so confusing, and then the
capability of running wider games expanded and communities stopped
being so "domain" focused.

Probably the same thing will happen with SMS mobile phone dip.
It has been experimented with already, perhaps others with more
experience will chime in.

A dinosaur who has his mobile phone text messaging turned OFF,
Jim-Bob
Anonymous
March 7, 2005 12:50:40 AM

With the latest version of Palmpolitik you can
play PBEM with a Palm and a mobile phone. You
don't need a PC anymore.

Lucas

"Chris Love" <chris.lovewatts@ntlworld.com> schreef in bericht news:%rHWd.1007$Lc3.552@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net...
> Has any one considered this? It seems to me that one of the biggest problems
> with lateness in games is that people are simply too busy sometimes to keep
> up with constants demands of a game. SMS diplomacy may help people who have
> this difficulty.
>
> There are a few degrees to using SMS in a game:
>
> 1. A game set up specifically on a judge with powers being aware they need a
> mobile phone. Mobile numbers are swapped and all powers communicate
> diplomatically via SMS. Obviously orders would still need to be input via
> email, which doesn't solve the problem of lateness, but this may mean the
> powers can communicate more easily.
>
> 2. Powers register for an email to sms service on the web (eg.
> www.excell.to) to enable them to send and recieve email directly to and from
> the judge. This could be done individually and the other players in a game
> need never know a player is recieving press via SMS.
>
> 3. A judge is created (by a person more technical than me),to enable extra
> commands say, PRESS TO F VIA SMS, which would route press to a mobile phone
> rather than the normal email client. Obviously registration on the judge
> would have to include a mobile number.
>
> 4. Build a WAP judge which accepts orders and the reading/writing of press
> via WAP and the internet.
>
> Obvious problems with using SMS in diplomacy games would be:
>
> - keeping the service free
> - keeping the game international
> - overcoming the obvious technical hurdles
> - integrating SMS with normal email press for those without mobile phones
>
> I am a relative newbie, what do you more experienced Diplomacy players thing
> of these ideas? Could this be the equivalent of when postal diplomacy moved
> to PBEM, updated for the 21st century?
>
> Thoughts welcome, if its a rubbish idea please tell me.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris

April 1, 2013 11:24:23 PM

SMS service is targeted to the individuals as well as small medium businesses.
www.mnatives.com
!