Start Menu/All Programs is empty but shortcuts exist in al..

All Programs in my Start Menu is empty, No Programs, No Accessories.
(I am on Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2)

I have checked my Documents and Settings folders and found that all of my
shortcuts still exist there, however they do not show up in my Start Menu.

How do I correct this?
2 answers Last reply
More about start menu programs empty shortcuts exist

    Try going to Start>Run type: regedit click Ok Navigate to
    HKey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current
    Version\Explorer\Menu Order\StartMenu2 Folder Delete it.
    Restart and see if All Programs is rebuilt.
    "djh86" <djh86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > All Programs in my Start Menu is empty, No Programs, No Accessories.
    > (I am on Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2)
    >
    > I have checked my Documents and Settings folders and found that all of my
    > shortcuts still exist there, however they do not show up in my Start Menu.
    >
    > How do I correct this?

    Thanks Rich but No Luck.

    However this did get me thinking that this may be a registry problem.
    As I was looking through the registry for HKey_Local_Machine I found a
    couple duplicate folders.
    Specifically HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion
    and
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ShellExtensions.

    None of the profiles on this computer seem to be able to see the default
    shortcuts for Programs or Accessories. It makes me think that the root path
    has been set incorrectly through one of my updates. (I was also installing
    new software and the change could have occurred there also.)

    This problem started when I was updating this computer (Dell:Inspiron 600m)
    with Windows and Dell Updates. Unfortunately I cannot remember the order
    that the updates were done.

    "Rich Barry" wrote:

    > Try going to Start>Run type: regedit click Ok Navigate to
    > HKey_Current_User\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current
    > Version\Explorer\Menu Order\StartMenu2 Folder Delete it.
    > Restart and see if All Programs is rebuilt.
    > "djh86" <djh86@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > All Programs in my Start Menu is empty, No Programs, No Accessories.
    > > (I am on Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2)
    > >
    > > I have checked my Documents and Settings folders and found that all of my
    > > shortcuts still exist there, however they do not show up in my Start Menu.
    > >
    > > How do I correct this?

Windows XP Start Menu My Documents Accessories Microsoft