"Kernel_Stack_Inpage_Error" Stop Error

Hi,
Well yesterday was my first experience with this rather unnerving blue
screen message and now I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help
me with.
Other than rebooting, and basically hoping for the best, this is a very
short summary of what it said: (btw, I did reboot and so far so good)

Tech. Info: ****STOP
0x00000077 (0xc0000185, 0xc0000185, 0x00000001. 0x00026000)
(I hope I didn't miss any 0 s)

What I've done so far:
First I found it in a Windows book where it says it has to do with a memory
problem.
I looked up the common causes in Windows KB which made reference to the
paging file and found the "185" reference STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR, caused by
improper termination or bad cabling on SCSI devices. (Now I'm really lost!)
Questions:
1. Would this be caused by me moving the paging file from my C:(Windows
Fat32) drive to my slave(NTFS) drive?
2. Is there a way to check "improper termination etc."?

If you need any other info. please let me know.
Thank you
(XP Home SP2, All AV up to date, All Anti-spyware up to date)

--
You are never too old to learn!
10 answers Last reply

    Wow!
    Thank you so much for the quick replies.

    Jim: This will be a new experience for me but I'm going inside the box to
    check it out. (I'll check the SCSI info. first though)

    Leif: Sorry, I forgot to mention before that I had checked in the Event
    Viewer and was very surprised not to find any mention at all of this. I
    don't remember seeing any SATA controllers but will definitely check that out
    too.

    Again, thank you both very much, I'm off to investigate (after a complete
    back-up) and will post back as soon as I have an answer.

    Regards and best wishes!

    ----

    "Chitterette" <Chitterette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Well yesterday was my first experience with this rather unnerving blue
    > screen message and now I have a couple of questions I hope someone can
    help
    > me with.
    > Other than rebooting, and basically hoping for the best, this is a very
    > short summary of what it said: (btw, I did reboot and so far so good)
    >
    > Tech. Info: ****STOP
    > 0x00000077 (0xc0000185, 0xc0000185, 0x00000001. 0x00026000)
    > (I hope I didn't miss any 0 s)
    >
    > What I've done so far:
    > First I found it in a Windows book where it says it has to do with a
    memory
    > problem.
    > I looked up the common causes in Windows KB which made reference to the
    > paging file and found the "185" reference STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR, caused
    by
    > improper termination or bad cabling on SCSI devices. (Now I'm really
    lost!)
    > Questions:
    > 1. Would this be caused by me moving the paging file from my C:(Windows
    > Fat32) drive to my slave(NTFS) drive?
    No
    > 2. Is there a way to check "improper termination etc."?
    It is significant that this problem only started in the last few days. This
    fact suggests that you have a loose cable somewhere.
    Does your computer have any SCSI devices? If so, reseat the cables. A
    loose cable cannot be properly terminated.
    Does your computer have a PCI ATA controller? These controllers represent
    themselves as SCSI devices. Reseat the controller.
    If these don't help, I can't help you.
    Jim

    Hi Chitterette,

    >Hi,
    >Well yesterday was my first experience with this rather unnerving blue
    >screen message and now I have a couple of questions I hope someone can help
    >me with.
    >
    >Tech. Info: ****STOP
    >0x00000077 (0xc0000185, 0xc0000185, 0x00000001. 0x00026000)
    >(I hope I didn't miss any 0 s)

    Like Jim said, PCI IDE controllers, but also PCI SATA controlers
    present themselfes as SCSI.

    I've hat the stop error too, and have experienced two faults:

    1: I changed the cable on the offending drive, if you go into My
    Computer--> Manage --> Event Viewer --> System. You'll most likely see
    errors (those with a red cross) on one of your disks.

    2: the disk was failing. Download from the hardware vendors site the
    diagnostic tool and check the drive. REMEMBER to backup any data on
    the drive first. If it fails this test, then have the drive replaced.

    Regards Leif.

    "Chitterette" <Chitterette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > Well yesterday was my first experience with this rather unnerving blue
    > screen message and now I have a couple of questions I hope someone can
    > help
    > me with.
    > Other than rebooting, and basically hoping for the best, this is a very
    > short summary of what it said: (btw, I did reboot and so far so good)
    >
    > Tech. Info: ****STOP
    > 0x00000077 (0xc0000185, 0xc0000185, 0x00000001. 0x00026000)
    > (I hope I didn't miss any 0 s)
    >
    > What I've done so far:
    > First I found it in a Windows book where it says it has to do with a
    > memory
    > problem.
    > I looked up the common causes in Windows KB which made reference to the
    > paging file and found the "185" reference STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR, caused
    > by
    > improper termination or bad cabling on SCSI devices. (Now I'm really
    > lost!)
    > Questions:
    > 1. Would this be caused by me moving the paging file from my C:(Windows
    > Fat32) drive to my slave(NTFS) drive?
    > 2. Is there a way to check "improper termination etc."?
    >
    > If you need any other info. please let me know.
    > Thank you
    > (XP Home SP2, All AV up to date, All Anti-spyware up to date)

    > You are never too old to learn!

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315266 also states it could be a
    boot sector virus, have you eliminated this possibility ?

    rgds
    Li'l Roberto

    "Chitterette" <Chitterette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    <snip>
    >What I've done so far:
    >First I found it in a Windows book where it says it has to do with a memory
    >problem.
    >I looked up the common causes in Windows KB which made reference to the
    >paging file and found the "185" reference STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR, caused by
    >improper termination or bad cabling on SCSI devices. (Now I'm really lost!)

    It could be. The Resource Kit information says "0xC0000185, or
    STATUS_IO_DEVICE_ERROR, indicates improper termination, defective
    storage controller hardware, defective disk cabling, or two devices
    attempting to use the same system resources."

    >Questions:
    >1. Would this be caused by me moving the paging file from my C:(Windows
    >Fat32) drive to my slave(NTFS) drive?

    Possibly, but only if there is a problem of some kind with the 2nd
    (slave) hard drive.

    >2. Is there a way to check "improper termination etc."?

    Go to the hard drive manufacturer's web site (for both your hard
    drives), download their free diagnostic utility, and run these to
    check out the drives for possible hardware defects.

    One further point regarding paging files. With 2 physical hard drives
    the optimal configuration is to have a paging file configured on each
    drive. I suggest that you add a second small paging file to the boot
    drive (C:) with the size set as minimum 10 mb maximum 100 mb. It will
    probably never change from the 10 mb minimum but Windows just seems to
    be happier when there is a paging file on the boot drive.

    See the article on virtual memory in Windows XP by the late Alex
    Nichol MVP at http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm for more detailed
    information about paging files.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Hi all,
    I, very carefully, followed your suggestions Jim and Leif.
    I didn't find anything loose in there but I sure did find a lot of dust
    bunnies running around and everything was coated! I cleaned it all out with
    compressed air and put it back together. (So far, so good)
    Darn, I knew I had left important stuff out of my original post.
    I apologize to Li'l Roberto and Ron for not mentioning:
    Li'l Roberto: I had done the boot virus scan but thanks for the reminder.
    and
    Ron: I had left a small paging file on C: because after reading many
    articles, including the one by the late Alex Nichol MVP, I figured it best to
    keep Windows happy at least in this area since I'm always mucking around with
    something.

    I have not yet found the hard drive diagnostic utilities but am working on
    it and enjoying the challenge. I'll report back when I find and run them.

    Thank you all for your quick and informative responses.

    --
    You are never too old to learn!

    Hi,

    Good news (I think?)
    Both drives tested OK and I haven't had any other error messages or blue
    screens.
    I'm beginning to suspect the problem may have been caused by the dust/dirt.

    Thank you all for the advice and suggestions.

    Betty

    --

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > >2. Is there a way to check "improper termination etc."?
    >
    > Go to the hard drive manufacturer's web site (for both your hard
    > drives), download their free diagnostic utility, and run these to
    > check out the drives for possible hardware defects.

    > See the article on virtual memory in Windows XP by the late Alex
    > Nichol MVP at http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpvm.htm for more detailed
    > information about paging files.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    > --
    > Microsoft MVP
    > On-Line Help Computer Service
    > http://onlinehelp.bc.ca

    > http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Hi Betty,

    >Good news (I think?)
    >Both drives tested OK and I haven't had any other error messages or blue
    >screens.
    >I'm beginning to suspect the problem may have been caused by the dust/dirt.

    Could be.

    Could also have been the cables ... you have been mocking around with
    them, and maybe one has been fixed anyway.

    Regards Leif.

    Hi Leif,
    I agree, I would guess that all those connections in there are very
    sensitive and by checking everything I may have actually fixed a connection
    without knowing it.
    I had always been afraid to go inside the case but now if I need to do it I
    will be much more comfortable thanks to all the help/suggestions from you and
    the others.

    Best wishes,
    Betty
    --

    "Leif Nordmand Andersen" wrote:

    > Hi Betty,
    >
    > Could be.
    >
    > Could also have been the cables ... you have been mocking around with
    > them, and maybe one has been fixed anyway.
    >
    > Regards Leif.

    "Chitterette" <Chitterette@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Good news (I think?)
    >Both drives tested OK and I haven't had any other error messages or blue
    >screens.
    >I'm beginning to suspect the problem may have been caused by the dust/dirt.
    >
    >Thank you all for the advice and suggestions.
    >
    >Betty

    Glad to hear that you have resolved the problem.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP