VCR Backup

nuance

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2004
I was just curious about a device I read about in the old discontinued magazine Compute. I haven't researched the device too much, but I thought it was interesting. It was a piece of Hardware with software to backup your computer hard drive...sounds pretty standard right? The media you used for backup with the device was a VHS tape. I was just curious if anybody had any experience with the device and its reliability (or even what it was called).

-Thanks

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
Judging from the amount of static and crap I get in the signal when I record video to VHS tape, I'd imagine it can't reliably hold very much. I imagine it would have to be less than a DVD at least, because a DVD will hold more video at higher quality than a VHS will.

IMO, VHS is one of those technologies that should just quietly die so that we can pretend that it never existed, like vinyl records and audiocassette tapes. (I just pictured having a car dashboard vinyl record player, or one strapped to my shorts for jogging... LOL... "oops, the LP pulled my shorts off again... gotta jog back a block and pick 'em up.")