How to Transfer Palm Desktop Files to a Different Computer??

August 27, 2004 3:57:37 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Hello:

I no longer have my Palm Vx, but I still use the Palm Desktop software
as my PIM. I tried exporting the Datebook, Contacts, and Memo and
importing them into my Palm Desktop on the computer at work, but it
gave me the "not a valid file/format and corrupted file" error
message. Can anyone suggest a solution for me?

Thanks so much!
Spudy
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 7:54:15 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

August 28, 2004 12:09:46 AM

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:57:37 -0700, Spudy wrote:

> I no longer have my Palm Vx, but I still use the Palm Desktop software
> as my PIM. I tried exporting the Datebook, Contacts, and Memo and
> importing them into my Palm Desktop on the computer at work, but it
> gave me the "not a valid file/format and corrupted file" error
> message. Can anyone suggest a solution for me?

There's no need to export and import. On your work computer's
Palm Desktop, create a new user unless the existing one doesn't
contain data that you need to save. Then copy the contents of your
old computer's Datebook, Contacts, Memo (and ToDo if you want it
too) folders to the new computer, replacing the files in your new
Palm user's folders. As you're no longer synching with a Palm
device, the different username (if you copied it to a different
user's folders) shouldn't matter. If this doesn't work, perhaps the
Palm Desktop software on the new computer was installed from a CD
that came with an OS 5.0 device? If so, try installing to an older
version of the desktop software, one that you know works with OS 3.x
and/or 4.x.
August 28, 2004 12:46:45 AM

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:57:37 -0700, Spudy <spudy@home.com> wrote:

>Hello:
>
>I no longer have my Palm Vx, but I still use the Palm Desktop software
>as my PIM. I tried exporting the Datebook, Contacts, and Memo and
>importing them into my Palm Desktop on the computer at work, but it
>gave me the "not a valid file/format and corrupted file" error
>message. Can anyone suggest a solution for me?

A friend corresponded with PalmOne on this exact issue. It seems to
have to do with the inability of a newer version of the Desktop to
read data files created by an older version of Palm Desktop.

The suggested fix was to change the extension of the file you exported
to ".dat" or ".bak" and try again.

Does it work? I don't know. But you could try this.

J. Z. Al-Huriyeh
Anonymous
August 30, 2004 2:26:37 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops (More info?)

Hi,

Thanks very much to everyone who replied to my query. I copied the
directory as you suggested and it worked great! :-)

Spudy

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 15:54:15 -0400, "C.Joseph Drayton"
<kalek1@mindspring.com> wrote:

!