Missing Files...Are they needed?

Last night I ran Norton's Win Doctor and found that there were two files
missing that could possibly compromise the integrity of one of my programs
but I don't know which.
The error message reads as follows:
C\Windows|$NtUninstallKB898458$\ORUN32.EXE cannot access a necessary
file..learn32.dll and C\Windows|$NtUninstallKB898458$\ORUN32.EXE cannot
access a necessary file..pctree32.dll
Can someone tell me what these files are, where they're supposed to be
and what program are they associated with? Are they necessary or can I live
without them? If I need them is there somewhere I could download them? I
strongly suspect they were deleted by my AdAware or Spyware Doctor programs
as being something associated with spyware.
4 answers Last reply
More about missing files needed

    They are in the "uninstall" directory for XP updates.
    You most likely have a bunch of these listed under C:\Windows and they all
    relate to updates.They are created in case you have problems with an update
    and need to uninstall it.If you have no problems with an update then you can
    delete that uninstall folder.
    have you had problems with an XP update from the update site??If not delete
    those folders
    peterk

    the problem
    "S.Wooley" <smwooley@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
    > Last night I ran Norton's Win Doctor and found that there were two
    > files missing that could possibly compromise the integrity of one of my
    > programs but I don't know which.
    > The error message reads as follows:
    > C\Windows|$NtUninstallKB898458$\ORUN32.EXE cannot access a necessary
    > file..learn32.dll and C\Windows|$NtUninstallKB898458$\ORUN32.EXE cannot
    > access a necessary file..pctree32.dll
    > Can someone tell me what these files are, where they're supposed to be
    > and what program are they associated with? Are they necessary or can I
    > live without them? If I need them is there somewhere I could download
    > them? I strongly suspect they were deleted by my AdAware or Spyware Doctor
    > programs as being something associated with spyware.

    No...I have had no problems with updates. I've just completed a reinstall of
    the system and thought maybe something had went wrong. Everything seems to
    be running better than ever. Thanks for the advice, you've taken a load of
    worry off my mind.
    Mark
    "peterk" <peterk@nomalarky.net> wrote in message
    > They are in the "uninstall" directory for XP updates.
    > You most likely have a bunch of these listed under C:\Windows and they all
    > relate to updates.They are created in case you have problems with an
    > update and need to uninstall it.If you have no problems with an update
    > then you can delete that uninstall folder.
    > have you had problems with an XP update from the update site??If not
    > delete those folders
    > peterk
    >
    > --
    > It's so much easier to suggest solutions when you don't know too much
    > about the problem
    > "S.Wooley" <smwooley@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
    >> Last night I ran Norton's Win Doctor and found that there were two
    >> files missing that could possibly compromise the integrity of one of my
    >> programs but I don't know which.
    >> The error message reads as follows:
    >> C\Windows|$NtUninstallKB898458$\ORUN32.EXE cannot access a necessary
    >> file..learn32.dll and C\Windows|$NtUninstallKB898458$\ORUN32.EXE cannot
    >> access a necessary file..pctree32.dll
    >> Can someone tell me what these files are, where they're supposed to be
    >> and what program are they associated with? Are they necessary or can I
    >> live without them? If I need them is there somewhere I could download
    >> them? I strongly suspect they were deleted by my AdAware or Spyware
    >> Doctor programs as being something associated with spyware.

    Your welcome

    S.Wooley wrote:

    > Last night I ran Norton's Win Doctor and found that there were two files
    > missing that could possibly compromise the integrity of one of my programs
    > but I don't know which.
    > The error message reads as follows:
    > C\Windows|$NtUninstallKB898458$\ORUN32.EXE cannot access a necessary
    > file..learn32.dll and C\Windows|$NtUninstallKB898458$\ORUN32.EXE cannot
    > access a necessary file..pctree32.dll
    > Can someone tell me what these files are, where they're supposed to be
    > and what program are they associated with? Are they necessary or can I live
    > without them? If I need them is there somewhere I could download them? I
    > strongly suspect they were deleted by my AdAware or Spyware Doctor programs
    > as being something associated with spyware.

    You'd be better off without Norton Win Doctor as well.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Windows XP