Quetion about multiple hard drives and windows

Arcum

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
Ok here it goes:
I had a 20GB Maxtor hard drive as my master (windows XP would run off of that), and an 80GB Maxtor drive as a storage drive.
I bought a new Western Digital 120GB drive and replaced the 80GB with it. I installed windows XP on this drive and I can boot into windows with it when it is paired with the 20.
However, when I remove the 20 and set the 120 as master, the system wont boot...it goes to a screen where it says PRESS A KEY TO REBOOT.
Can anyone help me?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You had the 20 as master and the 120 as slave when you installed XP to the 120, correct? And now the 120 is master and it won't boot? The reason is, the boot file is missing from the 120, it was located on the 20. Your best solution is to do a "repair install" of XP, which really won't change anything except that windows will look for it's files on the C: drive instead of the D: drive now, and your boot files will be on the 120.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>