New Release - MS Antispyware (Beta v1.0.613)

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

For anybody who is finicky, remember: THIS IS A BETA PRODUCT.
Uninstall old version before installing new.

Build version: 1.0.613
Published: 2005-23-6

"In this second beta refresh (Build 1.0.613), we've made other
enhancements
to the detection and removal capabilities, including improved Winsock
LSP
removal capabilities and support for long descriptions of categorized
software.
In addition, we have also extended the Windows AntiSpyware beta
expiration
date to December 31, 2005."

Microsoft® Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en

Shorter link:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q14552F2A
3 answers Last reply
More about release antispyware beta
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    However, you do not need to even download the new build.

    Existing users of the beta (Builds 1.0.501 and 1.0.509) will receive a software update that extends the expiration date and includes the enhancements to the detection and removal capabilities. The second beta refresh is also available for download through this site.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Jimmy" <jim123456@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eMXGCGFeFHA.3280@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > For anybody who is finicky, remember: THIS IS A BETA PRODUCT.
    > Uninstall old version before installing new.
    >
    > Build version: 1.0.613
    > Published: 2005-23-6
    >
    > "In this second beta refresh (Build 1.0.613), we've made other
    > enhancements
    > to the detection and removal capabilities, including improved Winsock
    > LSP
    > removal capabilities and support for long descriptions of categorized
    > software.
    > In addition, we have also extended the Windows AntiSpyware beta
    > expiration
    > date to December 31, 2005."
    >
    > Microsoft® Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
    > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
    >
    > Shorter link:
    > http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q14552F2A

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hello Doug, My name is Doug. I am very glad that this was the first issue to
    be brought out. It seems sometimes MS wants you to install on top of an older
    version so the download time is shorter and setting stay the same. I find it
    very un-nerving that usually the issue is avoided in the MS descriptions of
    upgraded downloads. Thank both of you guys for recognizing us street fighter
    techies (dummies) need to know this stuff.

    Now Doug K, could you please tell me the benefits of staying with the old
    version (which I have since I heard months ago in a news group from another
    street fighter techie that his updater in the first release was downloading
    the updates before the second version could;like two days earlier than the
    second version!) Other than the obvious "don't fix something unless it
    breaks" philosophy, do you have some inside knowlege that would make me feel
    good about keeping the very first issued version and not take door number
    three (the newest updated version). Some stability issues?, have you tried
    all three versions? just being conservative about unleasing large downloads
    into the registry? or is there a huge residue left behind if the first
    version (or second for that matter) if it is removed to replace it with newer
    third version? Isn't the newer one taking out any bugs that would make it's
    release a worthwhile exchange? Are there bigwigs that will edit you, or
    "influence" you not to tell us the answers to these questions or did you just
    provide us with alternative info just because the old one will still work,
    and still get the Dec. extention? Do you hate me for asking too many relevant
    questions? (I am just trying to get the info out to people too, as well as
    save my PC from a BSOD.)clrwtr001 ta liamtoh tod moc if you are dyslexic and
    want to contact me personally w/things (answers you may not want to put
    public) like how to repair the modules that are giving me inability to
    recieve Automatic Security Downloads and give me an error number when I try
    to download the "critical" (or just about any other)security downloads from
    MS Win Update even on the new v6 loader page. Thank you for considering my
    questions. You seem like "the guy" who knows stuff.
    --
    ~I don't remember signing any contracts when I was born....I am accountable
    to family and GreatSpirit&Son&what they put into my heart...all the rest is

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

    > However, you do not need to even download the new build.
    >
    > Existing users of the beta (Builds 1.0.501 and 1.0.509) will receive a software update that extends the expiration date and includes the enhancements to the detection and removal capabilities. The second beta refresh is also available for download through this site.

    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "Jimmy" <jim123456@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eMXGCGFeFHA.3280@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > > For anybody who is finicky, remember: THIS IS A BETA PRODUCT.
    > > Uninstall old version before installing new.
    > >
    > > Build version: 1.0.613
    > > Published: 2005-23-6
    > >
    > > "In this second beta refresh (Build 1.0.613), we've made other
    > > enhancements
    > > to the detection and removal capabilities, including improved Winsock
    > > LSP
    > > removal capabilities and support for long descriptions of categorized
    > > software.
    > > In addition, we have also extended the Windows AntiSpyware beta
    > > expiration
    > > date to December 31, 2005."
    > >
    > > Microsoft® Windows AntiSpyware (Beta)
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=321CD7A2-6A57-4C57-A8BD-DBF62EDA9671&displaylang=en
    > >
    > > Shorter link:
    > > http://makeashorterlink.com/?Q14552F2A

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    Hi,

    The first thing to remember is this is beta software. Here in the Boston area, some would confuse the pronunciation with better. However, any beta product will have bugs, and these may or may not affect a particular user. Use of any software is at the user's risk, and with beta software, even more so.

    As to which version to use? Personally, I just let the machines that are running it here auto update to the latest build. As with any product it will get better as development work continues. Yes, there are often regressions for some users, but if you're going to use a beta product, go with the latest builds, as that will help MS further improve the product. Submitting issues on old builds is not as useful as reporting the ones that occur with the current version.

    As a general rule, most software will continue to use the same registry keys/values, as it progresses. Additional ones may be added, and others obsoleted, but by and large, I would not expect any significant changes. As I said, I just let it autoupdate and do its thing.

    And no, unless I post something personally inflammatory or exceedingly crude, no one will edit what I post. I don't work for Microsoft, I'm just here to try to help other users to solve their problems with Windows, as are all the other MVP's and others who come here to help.

    And last, but not least, the newsgroups specific for the anti-spyware beta are the best place to post questions, and problems, as these groups will have people who know the most about the product.

    http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?ICP=spyware&sLCID=us

    "CLRWTR001" <CLRWTR001@DISCUSSIONS.MICROSOFT.COM> wrote in message news:2167F75C-B157-4A12-8380-2E6923DB8193@microsoft.com...
> [...]
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Per user Group Policy Restrictions for XP Home and XP Pro
    >> --------------------------------
    >> Please reply only to the newsgroup so all may benefit.
    >> Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >>
    >> "Jimmy" <jim123456@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eMXGCGFeFHA.3280@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >> > For anybody who is finicky, remember: THIS IS A BETA PRODUCT.
    >> > Uninstall old version before installing new.
    >> >
    >> > Build version: 1.0.613
    >> > Published: 2005-23-6
    >> >
    >> > "In this second beta refresh (Build 1.0.613), we've made other
    >> > enhancements
    >> > to the detection and removal capabilities, including improved Winsock
    >> > LSP
    >> > removal capabilities and support for long descriptions of categorized
    >> > software.
    >> > In addition, we have also extended the Windows AntiSpyware beta

Support Microsoft Build Windows XP