What is a WAN miniport?

My new notebook has USB ports but nothing else. Can someone describe a WAN
miniport to me?
Thanks
Catt
3 answers Last reply
More about what miniport

    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/network/LANWAN/CoNDIS-WAN.mspx
    --
    KD

    "Catt" wrote:

    > My new notebook has USB ports but nothing else. Can someone describe a WAN
    > miniport to me?
    > Thanks
    > Catt

    On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:36:02 -0700, "Catt"
    <Catt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >My new notebook has USB ports but nothing else. Can someone describe a WAN
    >miniport to me?
    >Thanks
    >Catt

    First of all, your notebook probably has a network jack (the
    telephone-like connector). WAN is Wide Area Network.

    Where did you see the term Miniport? It usually does not refer to
    hardware (your physical computer ports). It is a term used by device
    driver writers to designate a level or layer of device driver
    operation.

    You can see them in the Device Manager.

    Start | Run | Type: devmgmt.msc | OK |
    View | Show Hidden Devices |
    Under Network adapters:

    WAN Miniport (IP)
    WAN Miniport (L2TP)
    WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
    WAN Miniport (PPTP)

    You can also see them in System Information.

    Start | Run | Type: msinfo32 | OK |

    [+] Components
    [+] Network
    Adapter

    Name [00000002] WAN Miniport (L2TP)
    Name [00000003] WAN Miniport (PPTP)
    Name [00000004] WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
    Name [00000006] WAN Miniport (IP)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:votnb1p0nggrh5d6guplb0pipcrdq8aoop@4ax.com,
    _RR <_RR@nomail.org> hunted and pecked:
    > On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:36:02 -0700, "Catt"
    > <Catt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    >> My new notebook has USB ports but nothing else. Can someone describe a
    >> WAN miniport to me?
    >> Thanks
    >> Catt
    >
    > First of all, your notebook probably has a network jack (the
    > telephone-like connector). WAN is Wide Area Network.
    >
    > Where did you see the term Miniport? It usually does not refer to
    > hardware (your physical computer ports). It is a term used by device
    > driver writers to designate a level or layer of device driver
    > operation.

WAN Notebooks Microsoft Windows XP