Catt

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2005

My new notebook has USB ports but nothing else. Can someone describe a WAN
miniport to me?
Thanks
Catt

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 17:36:02 -0700, "Catt"
<Catt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My new notebook has USB ports but nothing else. Can someone describe a WAN
>miniport to me?
>Thanks
>Catt

First of all, your notebook probably has a network jack (the
telephone-like connector). WAN is Wide Area Network.

Where did you see the term Miniport? It usually does not refer to
hardware (your physical computer ports). It is a term used by device
driver writers to designate a level or layer of device driver
operation.

You can see them in the Device Manager.

Start | Run | Type: devmgmt.msc | OK |
View | Show Hidden Devices |
Under Network adapters:

WAN Miniport (IP)
WAN Miniport (L2TP)
WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
WAN Miniport (PPTP)

You can also see them in System Information.

Start | Run | Type: msinfo32 | OK |

[+] Components
[+] Network
Adapter