Mounting and running '.iso' file in Windows XP

June 23, 2005 10:04:03 PM

I have a useful utility in the form of an xxx.iso disc image file. It
contains an executable program file (xxx.exe) and an autorun.inf file. Is
there some way I can mount the image and run the program, either within
Windows or from the Command prompt.

Evanapp
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:10:43 PM

It's an image of a CD or DVD.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...
and see DVDBurn and CDBurn to make them into a disk.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/b/6/7b6abd84-7...
To treat an ISO file as if it's a real CD.

MS supplies software for download only in ISO these days (for your offices and windows and Visual studio) so they released a tool to make them usuable.
"Evanapp" <Evanapp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5942DC6C-6A61-4B16-9826-E5504F4F46B8@microsoft.com...
>I have a useful utility in the form of an xxx.iso disc image file. It
> contains an executable program file (xxx.exe) and an autorun.inf file. Is
> there some way I can mount the image and run the program, either within
> Windows or from the Command prompt.
>
> Evanapp
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 3:10:44 PM

David Candy wrote:
> It's an image of a CD or DVD.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...
> and see DVDBurn and CDBurn to make them into a disk.
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/b/6/7b6abd84-7...
> To treat an ISO file as if it's a real CD.
>
> MS supplies software for download only in ISO these days (for your
> offices and windows and Visual studio) so they released a tool to
> make them usuable.

I found the interface (what there is of an interface - let's call it a
method..) to not be as clean as something like Daemon Tools though..

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

An ISO is an image which can be burned directly to CD/DVD. Alternatively
you can use something like IsoBuster to extract the contents.
http://www.isobuster.com/

--

Kenny Cargill

"Evanapp" <Evanapp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a useful utility in the form of an xxx.iso disc image file. It
> contains an executable program file (xxx.exe) and an autorun.inf file. Is
> there some way I can mount the image and run the program, either within
> Windows or from the Command prompt.
>
> Evanapp
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 6:11:03 PM

"David Candy" wrote:

> It's an image of a CD or DVD.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyi...
> and see DVDBurn and CDBurn to make them into a disk.
>
> http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/b/6/7b6abd84-7...
> To treat an ISO file as if it's a real CD.
>
> MS supplies software for download only in ISO these days (for your offices and windows and Visual studio) so they released a tool to make them usuable.

Thanks. I'll give the virtual pc control panel a try. I'd rather not bother
burning a cd.

Evanapp
!