When I turn on the computer, the power light comes on green and the working
light stays orange. The computer is getting power but nothing happens.
Nothing registers on the monitor. The monitor power light stays orange too.
The POST beep doesn't happen. I hope I'm not too vague for help. Runnig XP
Pro on P41.3 Help please.

Malke

Ogrish wrote:

> When I turn on the computer, the power light comes on green and the
> working
> light stays orange. The computer is getting power but nothing
> happens. Nothing registers on the monitor. The monitor power light
> stays orange too.
> The POST beep doesn't happen. I hope I'm not too vague for help.
> Runnig XP
> Pro on P41.3 Help please.

This has nothing to do with XP. You have hardware problems. It could be
your power supply is failing or some other component such as the
motherboard or the RAM or the video card. Since your machine isn't even
getting through the POST, you should take it to a professional computer
repair shop for testing (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA). I'm
not saying this to hurt your feelings, but unless you are skilled in
hardware testing (and it doesn't sound like you are) this will be your
best course of action.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

What's the likelyhood that it's the power supply? I have some misc. parts
laying around. I have enough knowledge to do some swapping but that's about
it. Thank you for your help.

"Malke" wrote:

> Ogrish wrote:
>
> > When I turn on the computer, the power light comes on green and the
> > working
> > light stays orange. The computer is getting power but nothing
> > happens. Nothing registers on the monitor. The monitor power light
> > stays orange too.
> > The POST beep doesn't happen. I hope I'm not too vague for help.
> > Runnig XP
> > Pro on P41.3 Help please.
>
> This has nothing to do with XP. You have hardware problems. It could be
> your power supply is failing or some other component such as the
> motherboard or the RAM or the video card. Since your machine isn't even
> getting through the POST, you should take it to a professional computer
> repair shop for testing (not your local equivalent of BigStoreUSA). I'm
> not saying this to hurt your feelings, but unless you are skilled in
> hardware testing (and it doesn't sound like you are) this will be your
> best course of action.
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hi,

Tried booting from a floppy or CD yet? This would help tell you where the
problem is. If they work, then problem is likely your hard drive, and the
next step would be a drive diagnostic boot disk. If not, then you have a
different mechanical problem. If the system used to beep, and now doesn't,
you may have a failure in the motherboard, the cpu, or possibly the ram. It
could also just be the video card has failed.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Ogrish" <Ogrish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I turn on the computer, the power light comes on green and the
> working
> light stays orange. The computer is getting power but nothing happens.
> Nothing registers on the monitor. The monitor power light stays orange
> too.
> The POST beep doesn't happen. I hope I'm not too vague for help. Runnig
> XP
> Pro on P41.3 Help please.

Malke

Ogrish wrote:

> What's the likelyhood that it's the power supply? I have some misc.
> parts
> laying around. I have enough knowledge to do some swapping but that's
> about
> it. Thank you for your help.

The only way to tell is to start swapping. See Rick's post for more info
on other testing.

Malke