installin Windows to large HDD's, a problem?

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
First off, background info which most of you guys know but this is the problem: There are two editions of windows XP, the ones that initially came out are on silvery disks, and Microsoft later released updated editions of XP that already had service pack 1 installed. In Windows XP, Service Pack 1 gives Windows the ability to properly recognize drives greater than 137GB without having data corruption.

Ok on to the issue. I have to install XP Pro, the first release edition without SP1 built in, and I have to do it to a 200GB hard drive without any controller but the motherboard's built-in PATA one, and it's not RAID capable. Is this going to completely mess up my install? Is it possible to create your own install disk of XP Pro that already has the SP1 files on it, and if so how do you do it?

Thanks for any input, this is a very helpful forum.

grafixmonkey

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2004
Never mind, I'm just going to play it safe and create my own SP1 install CD. I found the info on slipstreaming and it's well on its way to done.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to put my NIC drivers into the XP install so that I will have network functionality when XP sets itself up. (has the benefit of getting the updated installer from the MS website during the initial setup right?) Still searching... if anyone feels like ending my search and linking me to some info, I'd be grateful for the time saver. :smile: