creating a shortcut to windows explorer in windows xp home..

I have a computer that is running windows xp home edition. I cannot create a
shortcut to the windows explorer application on my desktop, as the windows
explorer program does not appear in the programs window. I know that if I
click on the start menu and navagate to the programs icon, a second window
wil appear showing all of the programs that are installed on my computer.
However in the programs menu, I cannot see my explorer application anywhere.

Can someone describe anoher way to create a windows explorer icon on my desk
top without being able to go to the start menu, programs and then explorer
icon, as I said before the explorer icon is missing. I also would like to
know if this other method of creating a windows explorer icon would work in
other operating systems such as windows 95, 98 and windows NT as I have a
variety of computers at work and I need to be able to create windows explorer
icons using either menthod mentioned here.

Edward Letendre.
3 answers Last reply
More about creating shortcut windows explorer windows home

    1. Right-click on your Desktop and select: NEW > SHORTCUT
    2. In the Create Shortcut window, type in: EXPLORER.EXE , and click "Next"
    3. In the next window, type in: Windows Explorer , and click "Finish"
    4. A new Windows Explorer shortcut icon will appear on your Desktop.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "Edward Letendre" wrote:

    | I have a computer that is running windows xp home edition. I cannot create a
    | shortcut to the windows explorer application on my desktop, as the windows
    | explorer program does not appear in the programs window. I know that if I
    | click on the start menu and navagate to the programs icon, a second window
    | wil appear showing all of the programs that are installed on my computer.
    | However in the programs menu, I cannot see my explorer application anywhere.
    |
    | Can someone describe anoher way to create a windows explorer icon on my desk
    | top without being able to go to the start menu, programs and then explorer
    | icon, as I said before the explorer icon is missing. I also would like to
    | know if this other method of creating a windows explorer icon would work in
    | other operating systems such as windows 95, 98 and windows NT as I have a
    | variety of computers at work and I need to be able to create windows explorer
    | icons using either menthod mentioned here.
    |
    | Edward Letendre.

    In this Mce/Xp Pro and previous OS's I have always right clicked either
    My Computer icon or Start in taskbar, which allows you selection of
    Explorer, search etc.

    "Edward Letendre" wrote:

    > I have a computer that is running windows xp home edition. I cannot create a
    > shortcut to the windows explorer application on my desktop, as the windows
    > explorer program does not appear in the programs window. I know that if I
    > click on the start menu and navagate to the programs icon, a second window
    > wil appear showing all of the programs that are installed on my computer.
    > However in the programs menu, I cannot see my explorer application anywhere.
    >
    > Can someone describe anoher way to create a windows explorer icon on my desk
    > top without being able to go to the start menu, programs and then explorer
    > icon, as I said before the explorer icon is missing. I also would like to
    > know if this other method of creating a windows explorer icon would work in
    > other operating systems such as windows 95, 98 and windows NT as I have a
    > variety of computers at work and I need to be able to create windows explorer
    > icons using either menthod mentioned here.
    >
    > Edward Letendre.

    Right click Desktop | Properties | Desktop tab |
    Customize Desktop button | General tab |
    Desktop icons | Select what you want on the Desktop:
    ? My Documents
    ? My Computer
    ? My Network Places
    ? Internet Explorer

    [[Specifies whether these Windows items will appear as icons on your
    desktop. Select the check box if you want the item to appear on your
    desktop; clear the check box if you do not want the item to appear on your
    desktop.]]

    Or...

    Start | Run | Type: desk.cpl | OK

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:2C7A8A50-94F7-4C47-8E6C-86A43853C831@microsoft.com,
    Edward Letendre <EdwardLetendre@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and
    pecked:
    > I have a computer that is running windows xp home edition. I cannot
    > create a shortcut to the windows explorer application on my desktop, as
    > the windows explorer program does not appear in the programs window. I
    > know that if I click on the start menu and navagate to the programs icon,
    > a second window wil appear showing all of the programs that are installed
    > on my computer. However in the programs menu, I cannot see my explorer
    > application anywhere.
    >
    > Can someone describe anoher way to create a windows explorer icon on my
    > desk top without being able to go to the start menu, programs and then
    > explorer icon, as I said before the explorer icon is missing. I also
    > would like to know if this other method of creating a windows explorer
    > icon would work in other operating systems such as windows 95, 98 and
    > windows NT as I have a variety of computers at work and I need to be able
    > to create windows explorer icons using either menthod mentioned here.
    >
    > Edward Letendre.

Windows Explorer Explorer Windows XP