Sign in with
Your question

A Theory: Creating Dead Pixels on Purpose.

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 8, 2006 12:58:58 AM

Alright... so this... grand idea and scheme came to mind, and no idea if its been discussed before... it'd make an excellent article (As long as the method name includes "Beau" in it, of course :D )

Anyone know how to make Dead Pixels on purpose?

Of course, you ask... "WTF you smoking? Why would you do that?" And no, I don't mean to screw up other people's computers... I mean...

When your LCD ships with 7 or less dead pixels from Newegg, and you want to boost the dead pixel count so you can get a dead-pixel free replacement.

This is underhanded, this is quite wrong... in many cases.. However, do we deserve 1-7 dead pixels is really the question I think.

So, come on, from the geniuses at Tom's Hardware...

How do you purposely create dead pixels without destroying the whole monitor or cracking it, to the point that it can still be returned?
July 12, 2006 4:32:23 PM

in principle i agree with doing that as a dead pixel is still a dead pixel. unfortunately i don't know how to do it. i suppose if you could over volt the LCD's that might work. it might corrupt quite a few. the reason AFAIk dead pixels exist is becasue individual transistors fail. so frying the tansistors should render individual pixels useless.
July 12, 2006 8:05:36 PM

How can you overvolt it? If I every get a dead pixel on a lcd I would love to kill 7 more so i can return it.
Related resources
July 12, 2006 8:09:56 PM

i don't know that all i know is that if you can wreck the LCD or the transsitor then the pixel wouldn't work. it might not even be possible what with all the electronics in the monitors.
July 13, 2006 7:12:49 AM

Mmmmm... If only I was given free monitors to test this, I'd mess with the voltage of the monitor (and hopefully not fry myself). Since I'm not a trained monitor technician, I'd prolly have to wait 72 hours between each test for the capicitors to drain of power... assuming its the same fry-your-butt risk as it was for CRT.

Any further comments on this, someone? or someone willing to send old LCDs to test this out? :D 
July 24, 2006 8:41:45 AM

LOL, wow im back here.

i just googled this thread. i want to make a dead pixel because i have 7 of them and i need one more to return it to newegg. this is just killing the heck out of me. its very annoying because there are spreaded out. i could stand it if it was 1 or 2 in places i dont normally look at but 7 damn pixels 3 in the middle just hanging out, 2 on the top left, 1 on the bottom right, and 1 on the top right. the only corner i can look in without seeing a dead pixel is the bottom left ( thank god).

dang people, they need to check there monitors before they send them out to us. i would gladly pay 10 or 20 dollars more to see if that was done and i get a zero dead pixel monitor.

. ps that link you posted helps trying to fix stuk pixels.. i got dead pixels :( 
Anonymous
June 25, 2009 10:04:47 PM

Guys....
Whay are you crazy after dead pixels..
If you really want a replacement...
Just run a magnet over the entire LCD (left, right, center) and thats it...
You will not be able to see the scree anymore...
Backup your data before you do that...
Enjoy Replacement...
June 26, 2009 5:36:02 AM

Man, you guys are really f.u.c.k.ed up. You know that, right?
June 26, 2009 8:15:48 AM

Quote:
Guys....
Whay are you crazy after dead pixels..
If you really want a replacement...
Just run a magnet over the entire LCD (left, right, center) and thats it...
You will not be able to see the scree anymore...
Backup your data before you do that...
Enjoy Replacement...

Actually, that won't work. LCDs aren't sensitive to magnets. As for backing up the data? Screwing with your screen won't do a thing to your data - the hard drives are in the computer case, not the monitor.
August 27, 2009 4:24:25 AM

Why not try to hit the screen with a soft hard blow like your finger. Or just say there was eight and then say they must have went away, or ebay it!!!
!