  • CD-Rom
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
June 23, 2005 11:06:03 PM

When I copy my MS Word files to CD-RW I cannot edit them on my computer or
any other computer.I have tried the file sharing options,but to no avail.Is
it something simple I'm not doing?Please help!!
--
Rob L

More about : edit files

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 1:11:33 AM

Rob L wrote:
> When I copy my MS Word files to CD-RW I cannot edit them on my
> computer or any other computer.I have tried the file sharing
> options,but to no avail.Is it something simple I'm not doing?Please
> help!!

Copy them back off...
Edit them..
Save them back to CD-RW.

I'm not even sure with "Packet Writing" software for your CD if you could
edit a file using Microsoft Office if it was on a CD-RW- as it creates a
temporary work file in the same directory with the document you are working
on - and then deletes it. Not sure how well a packet writing software (not
native in Windows XP) would handle this.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Rob L wrote:
> When I copy my MS Word files to CD-RW I cannot edit them on my
> computer or any other computer.I have tried the file sharing
> options,but to no avail.Is it something simple I'm not doing?Please
> help!!

It's not sharing.

When you copy a file to a CD, the Read-Only flag for that file is set.
When you copy that same file from the CD to your hard drive, the Read-Only
flag is STILL set.

You have to turn off the read-only flag.
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 7:20:05 PM

"Rob L" <RobL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When I copy my MS Word files to CD-RW I cannot edit them on my computer or
> any other computer.I have tried the file sharing options,but to no
> avail.Is
> it something simple I'm not doing?Please help!!
> --
> Rob L
Not entirely sure what you mean here, but files written to CD-R and
CD-RW are by design read only, as the standard specifies. Therefore it
isn't possible to alter any files once written to CD, just copy them
back to your HDD, make the modifications then write them back to the
CD-RW afterwards. [bit of a PITA if you need to do this on a regular
basis, consider using a USB pen drive]
If you are saying you are copying them back to the HDD from a CD and
then are unable to edit, they may still have the read only bit set.
In that case R/Click your file after copying back to the HDD, choose
properties and remove the read only check mark.

rgds
Lil Roberto
!