Closed

screen only shows my wallpaper

I have windows XP Home Addition. My computer starts up okay with the Dell
logo, then the windows XP logo, then the blue "welcome" logo, but then only
my wallpaper appears. I have no files showing and no task bar. I've tried
putting in game and music cd's to see if something would pop up, but I get
nothing. Any suggestions? Thanks, Brian.

--
BrianB
4 answers Last reply

    Brian, try a System Restore. On next startup tap F8 repeatedly until you
    get a Menu. If yes choose Safe Mode. If WinXP
    loads in Safe Mode go to Start>All Programs>Accessories>System
    Tools>System Restore.
    "BrianSOAD" <BrianSOAD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have windows XP Home Addition. My computer starts up okay with the Dell
    > logo, then the windows XP logo, then the blue "welcome" logo, but then
    > only
    > my wallpaper appears. I have no files showing and no task bar. I've
    > tried
    > putting in game and music cd's to see if something would pop up, but I get
    > nothing. Any suggestions? Thanks, Brian.
    >
    > --
    > BrianB

    Try to determine whether a damaged or incompatible driver is the cause
    of this behavior. To do this, start Windows XP in Safe mode, and then
    use the clean boot troubleshooting method to determine whether a
    specific driver or file is causing this issue.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316434&sd=RMVP

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    BrianSOAD wrote:

    > I have windows XP Home Addition. My computer starts up okay with the Dell
    > logo, then the windows XP logo, then the blue "welcome" logo, but then only
    > my wallpaper appears. I have no files showing and no task bar. I've tried
    > putting in game and music cd's to see if something would pop up, but I get
    > nothing. Any suggestions? Thanks, Brian.

  3. Just run explorer.exe on task manager(ctrl+alt+delete)
    Then,go to processes and terminate explorer.exe
  4. This thread is 5 years old.

Wallpaper Windows XP