A few days ago I had problems getting my computer started. It would go just
beyond the Gateway Splash Screen and would stop. A clicking noise could be
heard coming from the computer near the hard drive. I called Gateway and they
had me run a test on the computer but it did not indicate a hard drive even
though they sent me a new one. I have been using the windows XP disk to get
into windows instead of the boot up files from the hard drive. Since I used
error checking and defrag I can now get into windows without using the
windows XP disk. However, it seems to be booting from the boot files from
intel, what ever that means and it is not the same way as it was before. It
takes a lot longer time to get it to boot. I am thinking that something may
have happened to my boot up files on the hard drive. If this is the case, is
there any way that I can just restore the boot files from the XP CD and try
that to see if it works? I do not have any idea why or how the boot files
could have got corrupted. Any help would be appreciated.
--
Wayne

Wayne, not to sure what procedure you followed. A clicking noise from the
hard drive is not good and could be the
notorious click of death that hard drives give off as they approach
failure. If Gateway sent you a new drive did you
use it and reinstall WinXP? Do you have a WinXP CD or do you have a
Recovery Disk?
"Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A few days ago I had problems getting my computer started. It would go just
> beyond the Gateway Splash Screen and would stop. A clicking noise could be
> heard coming from the computer near the hard drive. I called Gateway and
> they
> had me run a test on the computer but it did not indicate a hard drive
> even
> though they sent me a new one. I have been using the windows XP disk to
> get
> into windows instead of the boot up files from the hard drive. Since I
> used
> error checking and defrag I can now get into windows without using the
> windows XP disk. However, it seems to be booting from the boot files from
> intel, what ever that means and it is not the same way as it was before.
> It
> takes a lot longer time to get it to boot. I am thinking that something
> may
> have happened to my boot up files on the hard drive. If this is the case,
> is
> there any way that I can just restore the boot files from the XP CD and
> try
> that to see if it works? I do not have any idea why or how the boot files
> could have got corrupted. Any help would be appreciated.
> --
> Wayne

Wayne, since you are talking about a
Proprietary
Setup ( Gateway ) it' difficult to advise you. Does Gateway have a
forum that you can discuss this with? What you are probably seeing is a
Verbose Dos Screen that is showing you all the
drivers and devices that are loading up similar to the way Linux loads.
Intel does not have boot files. Your boot.ini is
provided by WinXP along with ntldr and ntdetect.com
"Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>A few days ago I had problems getting my computer started. It would go just
> beyond the Gateway Splash Screen and would stop. A clicking noise could be
> heard coming from the computer near the hard drive. I called Gateway and
> they
> had me run a test on the computer but it did not indicate a hard drive
> even
> though they sent me a new one. I have been using the windows XP disk to
> get
> into windows instead of the boot up files from the hard drive. Since I
> used
> error checking and defrag I can now get into windows without using the
> windows XP disk. However, it seems to be booting from the boot files from
> intel, what ever that means and it is not the same way as it was before.
> It
> takes a lot longer time to get it to boot. I am thinking that something
> may
> have happened to my boot up files on the hard drive. If this is the case,
> is
> there any way that I can just restore the boot files from the XP CD and
> try
> that to see if it works? I do not have any idea why or how the boot files
> could have got corrupted. Any help would be appreciated.
> --
> Wayne

Rich, I am sorry that I cannot explain this any better. The only thing I see
after the Gateway Splash screen are the words: Intel (R)boot agent FE v4.1.18
and some other writing that does not make a lot of sense to me. This stays on
the screen for a minute or less and then it exits the Intel boot agent and
then goes into windows. The hard drive is not making any noise at all,
completely quiet, so I think I will quit while I am still ahead. Thank you
both for your time

Oh! one more thing, I used the recovery console from the windows XP disk and
at the prompt I typed fixmbr which repairs the startup partition's master
boot code. However, it still boots into windows the same way. It is booting
into windows now from the hard drive so I am satisfied with the way it is.
Before it would only goe past the Gateway Splash screen and then start making
the rapid clicking noise. As soon as I ran the error checking , and for it to
fix all errors, this seemed to have taken care of this problem.
--
Wayne

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Wayne, since you are talking about a
> Proprietary
> Setup ( Gateway ) it' difficult to advise you. Does Gateway have a
> forum that you can discuss this with? What you are probably seeing is a
> Verbose Dos Screen that is showing you all the
> drivers and devices that are loading up similar to the way Linux loads.
> Intel does not have boot files. Your boot.ini is
> provided by WinXP along with ntldr and ntdetect.com
> "Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >A few days ago I had problems getting my computer started. It would go just
> > beyond the Gateway Splash Screen and would stop. A clicking noise could be
> > heard coming from the computer near the hard drive. I called Gateway and
> > they
> > had me run a test on the computer but it did not indicate a hard drive
> > even
> > though they sent me a new one. I have been using the windows XP disk to
> > get
> > into windows instead of the boot up files from the hard drive. Since I
> > used
> > error checking and defrag I can now get into windows without using the
> > windows XP disk. However, it seems to be booting from the boot files from
> > intel, what ever that means and it is not the same way as it was before.
> > It
> > takes a lot longer time to get it to boot. I am thinking that something
> > may
> > have happened to my boot up files on the hard drive. If this is the case,
> > is
> > there any way that I can just restore the boot files from the XP CD and
> > try
> > that to see if it works? I do not have any idea why or how the boot files
> > could have got corrupted. Any help would be appreciated.
> > --
> > Wayne

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Wayne wrote:
> Rich, I am sorry that I cannot explain this any better. The only thing I see
> after the Gateway Splash screen are the words: Intel (R)boot agent FE v4.1.18
> and some other writing that does not make a lot of sense to me. This stays on
> the screen for a minute or less and then it exits the Intel boot agent and
> then goes into windows. The hard drive is not making any noise at all,
> completely quiet, so I think I will quit while I am still ahead. Thank you
> both for your time
>
> Oh! one more thing, I used the recovery console from the windows XP disk and
> at the prompt I typed fixmbr which repairs the startup partition's master
> boot code. However, it still boots into windows the same way. It is booting
> into windows now from the hard drive so I am satisfied with the way it is.
> Before it would only goe past the Gateway Splash screen and then start making
> the rapid clicking noise. As soon as I ran the error checking , and for it to
> fix all errors, this seemed to have taken care of this problem.

Download a hard drive diagnostic utility from the drive manufacturer's
web site. This will usually create a bootable floppy disk from which
the diagnostics are run. Use that to test the drive.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-008018.htm
Check your Bios to see if Intel boot agent is listed as a boot device.
--
Ron Sommer

> [...]
>> > used
>> > error checking and defrag I can now get into windows without using the
>> > windows XP disk. However, it seems to be booting from the boot files
>> > from
>> > intel, what ever that means and it is not the same way as it was
>> > before.
>> > It
>> > takes a lot longer time to get it to boot. I am thinking that something
>> > may
>> > have happened to my boot up files on the hard drive. If this is the
>> > case,
>> > is
>> > there any way that I can just restore the boot files from the XP CD and
>> > try
>> > that to see if it works? I do not have any idea why or how the boot
>> > files
>> > could have got corrupted. Any help would be appreciated.

Does it say press F12 to boot from Network at bottom of screen.

"Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:817437C1-F4D8-4C7C-AAE3-2B65096AE7F5@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> > get
>> > into windows instead of the boot up files from the hard drive. Since I
>> > used
>> > error checking and defrag I can now get into windows without using the
>> > windows XP disk. However, it seems to be booting from the boot files from
>> > intel, what ever that means and it is not the same way as it was before.
>> > It
>> > takes a lot longer time to get it to boot. I am thinking that something
>> > may
>> > have happened to my boot up files on the hard drive. If this is the case,
>> > is
>> > there any way that I can just restore the boot files from the XP CD and
>> > try
>> > that to see if it works? I do not have any idea why or how the boot files
>> > could have got corrupted. Any help would be appreciated.

Dave, Rock and Rich, I will answer your answers all at the same time: Dave, I
checked and it does not say to press f12 to boot from network at any place on
the screen.
Ron, I checked the bios and the bootup shows it is to boot from drive D
which is a [4M-NEC DVD_RW ND-1300] CD-rom drive. I have never been in this
BIOS before and therefore no changes could have been made by error. I did not
see the Intel Boot Agent listed in the boot sequence. I left it as I found it.

Rock, I have downloaded the "Data lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows",
version 1.02 from Western Digital but I have not run it as of yet. When I was
in the BIOS I saw where the "Hard drive self diagnostics" was enable...so I
thought that was good enough...you can correct me if I am wrong about this.

Ron, after the Gateway Splash screen comes the following information which
does not make a lot of sense to me but it may to some one else: The below
information was not visible before my problem started.

Intel (R) Boot Agent Fe v4.1.10
Copyright (C) 1997-2003, Intel Corporation

Intel (R) Boot Agent PXE Base Code [BA1210BC-GW1]
Copyright 1997-2003, Intel Corporation

Client MAC ADD:00 0C F1 92 7E 04
GUI: 000CF192 7E04 2003 1104 130003000000
DHCP./ followed by a flashing cursor.

After nearly a minute this changes to; PXE MOF: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.
The computer then goes into windows normally. Like I said, the above
information does not mean very much to me as my knowledge is limited in this
area, and many other areas as well, of course. If any of you can make
anything out of this information It would be much appreicated. As you can
see, at least I can get into windows without any input. When it first
started acting up, making those fast clicking noises from the computer, I
used the MS XP disk to get into windows so I could run the tools mentioned
below. When this first started I could not get into windows unless I used the
XP Disk. After I did the error checking, with fix errors box checked, and a
defrag, I was able to get into windows with any input on my part. Hopefully
this information will mean something to one of you, or hopefully all of you.
--
Wayne

P. S. Rich, I will check and see if there is a forum on the Gateway Website.
Thanks for reminding me.

"Ron Sommer" wrote:

> http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-008018.htm
> Check your Bios to see if Intel boot agent is listed as a boot device.
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> "Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Rich, I am sorry that I cannot explain this any better. The only thing I
> > see
> > after the Gateway Splash screen are the words: Intel (R)boot agent FE
> > v4.1.18
> > and some other writing that does not make a lot of sense to me. This stays
> > on
> > the screen for a minute or less and then it exits the Intel boot agent and
> > then goes into windows. The hard drive is not making any noise at all,
> > completely quiet, so I think I will quit while I am still ahead. Thank you
> > both for your time
> >
> > Oh! one more thing, I used the recovery console from the windows XP disk
> > and
> > at the prompt I typed fixmbr which repairs the startup partition's master
> > boot code. However, it still boots into windows the same way. It is
> > booting
> > into windows now from the hard drive so I am satisfied with the way it is.
> > Before it would only goe past the Gateway Splash screen and then start
> > making
> > the rapid clicking noise. As soon as I ran the error checking , and for it
> > fix all errors, this seemed to have taken care of this problem.
> > --
> > Wayne
> >

> > "Rich Barry" wrote:
> >
> >> Wayne, since you are talking about a
> >> Proprietary
> >> Setup ( Gateway ) it' difficult to advise you. Does Gateway have a
> >> forum that you can discuss this with? What you are probably seeing
> >> is a
> >> Verbose Dos Screen that is showing you all the
> >> drivers and devices that are loading up similar to the way Linux
> >> loads.
> >> Intel does not have boot files. Your boot.ini is
> >> provided by WinXP along with ntldr and ntdetect.com
> >> "Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Wayne wrote:

<snip>

> Rock, I have downloaded the "Data lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows",
> version 1.02 from Western Digital but I have not run it as of yet. When I was
> in the BIOS I saw where the "Hard drive self diagnostics" was enable...so I
> thought that was good enough...you can correct me if I am wrong about this.

<snip>

It is not the same. The diagnostic utility does a much more thorough
test of the drive. Use it to be sure.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

It should say Press ..., adjust your monitor. What is the second, third, etc boot device.

"Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDEB3B46-31A4-4BD7-9F81-D7C4C7FB5DA9@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> > the screen for a minute or less and then it exits the Intel boot agent and
>> > then goes into windows. The hard drive is not making any noise at all,
>> > completely quiet, so I think I will quit while I am still ahead. Thank you
>> > both for your time
>> >
>> > Oh! one more thing, I used the recovery console from the windows XP disk
>> > and
>> > at the prompt I typed fixmbr which repairs the startup partition's master
>> > boot code. However, it still boots into windows the same way. It is
>> > booting
>> > into windows now from the hard drive so I am satisfied with the way it is.
>> > Before it would only goe past the Gateway Splash screen and then start
>> > making
>> > the rapid clicking noise. As soon as I ran the error checking , and for it
>> > fix all errors, this seemed to have taken care of this problem.

David, the 2nd boot drive is [1st floppy drive] which would have to be drive A.
The 3rd boot drive is [IBA FE SLOT 0140 v4110]
The 4th boot drive is [3M-WDC WD800BB-53DKA01 which is my hard drive. I am
not familiar with the 3rd one at all. David! while typing this something
light up in my brain. Look at the 3rd boot drive carefully then look at what
I wrote earlier about the information on the boot up screen after the Gateway
splash screen which is
Intel (R) Boot Agent Fe v4.1.10. It sure does look like it is booting from
the 3rd boot drive which is the Intel Boot Agent listed above. Is this
normal? If so how did it get changed as I have never been in this BIOS before
on this computer until today. When I checked it today the 1st boot device was
high lighted and I thought it was the one that it was booting from. Then
again, remember what I said when this trouble first started, I could not even
get into windows without using the MS Windows XP boot up disk. Maybe it
changed itself, is that possible? Is it supposed to boot off the hard drive
or the floppy first? I am under the impression that it is normally supposed
to boot off the hard drive. If it is supposed to boot from the hard drive and
it changed on it own to the [IBA] maybe it would not start again if I changed
it back to where it normally would be located. I will wait until I hear back
from you before I do any more. Thanks for your time and have a good evening.

--
Wayne

"David Candy" wrote:

> It should say Press ..., adjust your monitor. What is the second, third, etc boot device.

> "Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FDEB3B46-31A4-4BD7-9F81-D7C4C7FB5DA9@microsoft.com...
> > Dave, Rock and Rich, I will answer your answers all at the same time: Dave, I
> > checked and it does not say to press f12 to boot from network at any place on
> > the screen.
> > Ron, I checked the bios and the bootup shows it is to boot from drive D
> > which is a [4M-NEC DVD_RW ND-1300] CD-rom drive. I have never been in this
> > BIOS before and therefore no changes could have been made by error. I did not
> > see the Intel Boot Agent listed in the boot sequence. I left it as I found it.
> >
> > Rock, I have downloaded the "Data lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows",
> > version 1.02 from Western Digital but I have not run it as of yet. When I was
> > in the BIOS I saw where the "Hard drive self diagnostics" was enable...so I
> > thought that was good enough...you can correct me if I am wrong about this.
> >
> > Ron, after the Gateway Splash screen comes the following information which
> > does not make a lot of sense to me but it may to some one else: The below
> > information was not visible before my problem started.
> >
> > Intel (R) Boot Agent Fe v4.1.10
> > Copyright (C) 1997-2003, Intel Corporation
> >
> > Intel (R) Boot Agent PXE Base Code [BA1210BC-GW1]
> > Copyright 1997-2003, Intel Corporation
> >
> > Client MAC ADD:00 0C F1 92 7E 04
> > GUI: 000CF192 7E04 2003 1104 130003000000
> > DHCP./ followed by a flashing cursor.
> >
> > After nearly a minute this changes to; PXE MOF: Exiting Intel Boot Agent.
> > The computer then goes into windows normally. Like I said, the above
> > information does not mean very much to me as my knowledge is limited in this
> > area, and many other areas as well, of course. If any of you can make
> > anything out of this information It would be much appreicated. As you can
> > see, at least I can get into windows without any input. When it first
> > started acting up, making those fast clicking noises from the computer, I
> > used the MS XP disk to get into windows so I could run the tools mentioned
> > below. When this first started I could not get into windows unless I used the
> > XP Disk. After I did the error checking, with fix errors box checked, and a
> > defrag, I was able to get into windows with any input on my part. Hopefully
> > this information will mean something to one of you, or hopefully all of you.
> > --
> > Wayne
> >
> > P. S. Rich, I will check and see if there is a forum on the Gateway Website.
> > Thanks for reminding me.
> >

> > "Ron Sommer" wrote:
> >
> >> http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-008018.htm
> >> Check your Bios to see if Intel boot agent is listed as a boot device.
> >> --
> >> Ron Sommer
> >>
> >> "Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

If you adjust your monitor to make the picture smaller you'll see that message at the bottom of the screen.

It can't find your CDRom drive to boot from, so it tries the floppy, but there's no disk in the floppy, so it skips and tries to boot from a network server (which won't work because you haven't pressed F12 AND there probably isn't a network server), but it should time out on the network server and then look for D (what happened to C ?). So make the hard drive #1.

"Wayne" <Wayne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EDD12928-D489-444F-8D71-2B5723297AC0@microsoft.com...
> [...]
>> > area, and many other areas as well, of course. If any of you can make
>> > anything out of this information It would be much appreicated. As you can
>> > see, at least I can get into windows without any input. When it first
>> > started acting up, making those fast clicking noises from the computer, I
>> > used the MS XP disk to get into windows so I could run the tools mentioned
>> > below. When this first started I could not get into windows unless I used the
>> > XP Disk. After I did the error checking, with fix errors box checked, and a
>> > defrag, I was able to get into windows with any input on my part. Hopefully
>> > this information will mean something to one of you, or hopefully all of you.
>> > --
>> > Wayne
>> >
>> > P. S. Rich, I will check and see if there is a forum on the Gateway Website.

Wayne,
Change the hard drive to the first boot device.
If you ever want to boot from the CDRom or floppy drive, you will have it
listed before the hard drive in the boot order.

The Intel Boot Agent will not attempt to boot as long as a bootable device
is listed before it in the boot order. (A bootable CD in the CDRom drive, a
bootable floppy in the floppy drive, or a bootable hard drive.)
If you looked at the Intel link in my previous post, The Intel Boot Agent
has to be uninstalled.

David,
D is the CDRom.
--
Ron Sommer

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
> [...]

>> > can
>> > see, at least I can get into windows without any input. When it first
>> > started acting up, making those fast clicking noises from the computer,
>> > used the MS XP disk to get into windows so I could run the tools
>> > mentioned
>> > below. When this first started I could not get into windows unless I
>> > used the
>> > XP Disk. After I did the error checking, with fix errors box checked,
>> > and a
>> > defrag, I was able to get into windows with any input on my part.
>> > Hopefully
>> > this information will mean something to one of you, or hopefully all of
>> > you.
>> > --
>> > Wayne
>> >
>> > P. S. Rich, I will check and see if there is a forum on the Gateway

I want to report to you all that my problem has been taken care of and the
computer is now operating as it was before the problem started. I ran the
quick test from the WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostics and it passed the test. I
went into the BIOS and placed the drives into the following order: #1-Hard
drive, #2-Floppy disk drive, #3-DVD CD-Rom. I made the IBA boot up last and I
will not disable it unless it causes me problems in the future. I certainly
do appreciate all of you that hung in there with me and giving me your
suggestions. I could not have done it without you good folks. So again, thank
you all very, very much.
--
Wayne