I've got some folks who have AOL and never include the original email
contents, i.e., I'll get a response that might have, "Ok on that."

With that I have to find what I think is the mail I sent.

SO,

Would someone tell me with clear instructions how to turn on "include the
original mail" in the response. Something I can pass along, In clear steps.

Thanks gang.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

Some times I think there is no clear way to tell an AOL user anything.

"Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
> I've got some folks who have AOL and never include the original email
> contents, i.e., I'll get a response that might have, "Ok on that."
>
> With that I have to find what I think is the mail I sent.
>
> SO,
>
> Would someone tell me with clear instructions how to turn on "include the
> original mail" in the response. Something I can pass along, In clear
> steps.
>
> Thanks gang.
>

> --
> Don
> Vancouver, USA

gerry

Don, maybe you could suggest on your e-mail to use AOL's reply feature when
answering.
--
Gerry

"Don Schmidt" wrote:

> I've got some folks who have AOL and never include the original email
> contents, i.e., I'll get a response that might have, "Ok on that."
>
> With that I have to find what I think is the mail I sent.
>
> SO,
>
> Would someone tell me with clear instructions how to turn on "include the
> original mail" in the response. Something I can pass along, In clear steps.
>
> Thanks gang.
>

> --
> Don
> Vancouver, USA

"Reply" is a two syllable word. Most AOL users have trouble with any word
over one syllable.

Bobby

"Gerry" <Gerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Don, maybe you could suggest on your e-mail to use AOL's reply feature
> when
> answering.
> --
> Gerry
>

> "Don Schmidt" wrote:
>
>> I've got some folks who have AOL and never include the original email
>> contents, i.e., I'll get a response that might have, "Ok on that."
>>
>> With that I have to find what I think is the mail I sent.
>>
>> SO,
>>
>> Would someone tell me with clear instructions how to turn on "include the
>> original mail" in the response. Something I can pass along, In clear
>> steps.
>>
>> Thanks gang.
>>

>> --
>> Don
>> Vancouver, USA

If AOL was the only choice I had for an e-mail client, I'd buy a typewriter
and a roll of stamps.

"Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
| I've got some folks who have AOL and never include the original email
| contents, i.e., I'll get a response that might have, "Ok on that."
|
| With that I have to find what I think is the mail I sent.
|
| SO,
|
| Would someone tell me with clear instructions how to turn on "include
the
| original mail" in the response. Something I can pass along, In clear
steps.

| Thanks gang.

Contact AOL....

AOL Tech support is going to help a non AOL user?

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"BBUNNY" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message

> "Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
> | I've got some folks who have AOL and never include the original email
> | contents, i.e., I'll get a response that might have, "Ok on that."
> |
> | With that I have to find what I think is the mail I sent.
> |
> | SO,
> |
> | Would someone tell me with clear instructions how to turn on "include
> the
> | original mail" in the response. Something I can pass along, In clear
> steps.
> |
> | Thanks gang.
>
> Contact AOL....

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
> I've got some folks who have AOL and never include the original email
> contents, i.e., I'll get a response that might have, "Ok on that."
>
> With that I have to find what I think is the mail I sent.
>
> SO,
>
> Would someone tell me with clear instructions how to turn on "include
> the original mail" in the response. Something I can pass along, In
> clear steps.

Take a look at the headers of their reply e-mail. Is the References
header included? If so, you might be able to configure your e-mail
client to thread conversations. An e-mail with just a Message-ID header
(i.e., no References header) gets put at the top of a thread and those
e-mails that have References to that message or to replies to that
message will get threaded under it. This depends on whether or not your
e-mail client has the feature to thread e-mails. Outlook Express does
but Outlook does not (i.e., Outlook doesn't add the References header).
I belong to the MVPS mailing list and users using Outlook won't get
their e-mails inserted properly into the threaded discussion because
Outlook doesn't add the References header. Viewing e-mail by threading
them can also make it difficult to find e-mails, especially sent
e-mails, because the threading will be organized by the date of the
topmost e-mail (the thread starter), so you'll need to switch from
thread to non-threaded to see your e-mails listed by when you sent them.

For OE. Open tools/options/click on the send tab and be sure that "include
message in reply" is checked.

"Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> writes:
>I've got some folks who have AOL and never include the original email
>contents, i.e., I'll get a response that might have, "Ok on that."

>With that I have to find what I think is the mail I sent.
>SO,
>Would someone tell me with clear instructions how to turn on "include the
>original mail" in the response. Something I can pass along, In clear steps.

This is one way to get your original text included in a reply.

When the AOL user is reading your email they have a set of buttons
down the right hand side, I think it is the right side on all the
recent versions of AOL software. One of those buttons is "Reply."

Before clicking on that Reply button ask them to select the contents
of your message by left_button_down,drag_across_contents,left_button_up.

THEN click on the Reply button and that selected text will be included
in their reply to you, along with "In message dated blah, bleh writes:"

Thanks folks for all the suggestions. Some informative and others
entertaining, setting a good mood to start the day.

Take care, all.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

Bruce Hagen wrote:
> If AOL was the only choice I had for an e-mail client, I'd buy a typewriter
> and a roll of stamps.

They still make stamps?

> AOL Tech support is going to help a non AOL user?
>

> --
> Don
> Vancouver, USA

AOL Tech support is going to help an AOL user ???

Maybe I should have just left it at "AOL Tech support is going to help??"

On the other hand, ever tried to get help from Ulead tech support ???
equiv of the unix /dev/null ...

"Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
> I've got some folks who have AOL and never include the original email
> contents, i.e., I'll get a response that might have, "Ok on that."
>
> With that I have to find what I think is the mail I sent.
>
> SO,
>
> Would someone tell me with clear instructions how to turn on "include the
> original mail" in the response. Something I can pass along, In clear
steps.

> Thanks gang.
>

> --
> Don
> Vancouver, USA

Perhaps you could just start responding to their emails with "3" (although,
from the Hitch Hikers Guide, perhaps "42" would be better). When
they respond asking what you are talking about, you have then opened
the door to showing them the problem ... however, we are dealing with
AOL users -- you can always hope though.

mikey

> "Reply" is a two syllable word. Most AOL users have trouble with any word
> over one syllable.
>
> Bobby

Now, that's the best response so far !!! ;-)

Lou

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:36:51 -0700, "Richard in AZ" <me@mailinator.com> wrote:

>"Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
>> I've got some folks who have AOL and never include the original email
>> contents, i.e., I'll get a response that might have, "Ok on that."
>>
>> With that I have to find what I think is the mail I sent.
>>
>> SO,
>>
>> Would someone tell me with clear instructions how to turn on "include the
>> original mail" in the response. Something I can pass along, In clear
>> steps.
>>
>> Thanks gang.

>Some times I think there is no clear way to tell an AOL user anything.

Years ago, in the deep South, there was the old reference to using a 10 foot
long piece of 2 x 4 to train a mule. Would that work for an AOL user?

You can't talk about training mules that way though. The ASPCA got involved.
:(

Ed

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 20:10:09 -0700, "Don Schmidt"
<RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote:

>Would someone tell me with clear instructions how to turn on "include the
>original mail" in the response. Something I can pass along, In clear steps.

Wouldn't help. Remember, you are talking about AOL people here.

I just heard the other day you can subscribe to making your own stamps with
pictures of the kids, or the pets, or whatever.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"Ed Nuxters" <Acurajustin1978@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Bruce Hagen wrote:
>> If AOL was the only choice I had for an e-mail client, I'd buy a
>> typewriter
>> and a roll of stamps.
>
> They still make stamps?

Yep. You can. And it would still beat out using AOL. (Even though *stamp* is
a one syllable word). <eg>

See:
http://photo.stamps.com/PhotoStamps/?source=si10636452

And:
http://photo.stamps.com/PhotoStamps/support/faq/about/
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP - (IE/OE)

>I just heard the other day you can subscribe to making your own stamps with
>pictures of the kids, or the pets, or whatever.
>

> --
> Don
> Vancouver, USA
>

> "Ed Nuxters" <Acurajustin1978@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Bruce Hagen wrote:
>>> If AOL was the only choice I had for an e-mail client, I'd buy a
>>> typewriter
>>> and a roll of stamps.
>>
>> They still make stamps?

I don't know. However if I want information about a Buick I
would contact Buick, not WindowsXP.

"Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
| AOL Tech support is going to help a non AOL user?
| Don
| Vancouver, USA
|
| "BBUNNY" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
| >
| > "Don Schmidt" <RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote in message
| > | I've got some folks who have AOL and never include the original
email
| > | contents, i.e., I'll get a response that might have, "Ok on
that."
| > |
| > | With that I have to find what I think is the mail I sent.
| > |
| > | SO,
| > |
| > | Would someone tell me with clear instructions how to turn on
"include
| > the
| > | original mail" in the response. Something I can pass along, In
clear
| > steps.
| > |

In article <11bmuci8f46ar11@corp.supernews.com>, "Don Schmidt"
<RetiredEngineer@pnb.telco> wrote:
>I've got some folks who have AOL and never include the original email
>contents, i.e., I'll get a response that might have, "Ok on that."
>
>With that I have to find what I think is the mail I sent.
>
>SO,
>
>Would someone tell me with clear instructions how to turn on "include the
>original mail" in the response. Something I can pass along, In clear steps.
>
>Thanks gang.

Have those folks make this setting in AOL 9.0:

1. Click "Mail" in the menu bar.
2. Click "Mail Settings".
3. In the line near the bottom starting with "Reply to messages
with:", click the button labeled "Original Text".
4. Click "Save".
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

Thanks Steve, this is exactly what I was looking for.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA