Somban

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Subject pretty much says it all. I have an adaptec 2100s single channel scsi raid controller and 6 identical 17Gb MAH3182MP scsi drives. I had this setup working correctly (without the raid capability) with 4 of the drives. I got a new cable and plugged it in (same setup) and everything worked great.
I went to add the other 2 drives and it didn't work. When it was searching for scsi devices it finds one hard drive at (0,0,0) in says it has 34Gb capacity and holds the adaptec error beep. It then says there is no bootable devices. I then logically removed the 2 new drives and it doesn't work (same error). I changed pin settings (ID pins only) and the order, but that doesn't seem to change anything. I can't get one drive to work (same error). I also changed the slot of my scsi controller (still no change).

Some more info on my computer that may be nessasary.
P4 2.8c
1Gb crucial
9800pro
Mobo - MSI Neo2 Fis3r

This is a headache that doesn't seem to be going away. I'm a computer science senior so you don't have to "dumb stuff down" that much. Email is somban14@bellsouth.net or just reply here.

- Seth

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Uh, ok I'll try to help, but I really don't know anything about the model numbers you're providing, so please put this in terms of SCSI standard (ie, U80, LVD, etc).

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Somban

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Its an LVD drive. You can look them up on fujitsu if you want to, but they are pretty generic 17gb scsi drives. I still can't get anything to work... frustration.

Seth

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, you didn't change the termination and your drives have different ID's, so it SHOULD work! Some controllers use ID 0, others ID 7, for the controller itself...but I expect you already know what ID's are available and which aren't.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Somban

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
Yeah, the contoller uses ID 7. There may be a problem with the actual controller because I can't enter the adaptec setup (CTRL A). Any other ideas?

Seth

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's different. It should allow you to go into adapter settup without a cable, so try disconnecting the drive cable and see if you can access SCSI BIOS (ctl-A).

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'm not sure, all my cards work...