When I bought my last computer, on initial setup it came up with a screen
that said something like "Choose which of these options makes the screen
most legible." I tried various choices, which made only a rather subtle
difference in legibility, then chose the one I liked best. I think it had
something to do with the pixel dot size, and perhaps how adjacent pixels run
into each other.

So now I bought a new computer, and it did not come up with that kind of
screen legibility option. I chose the same fonts as I had been used to, and
the same screen resolution, etc., but the screen is not as readable as it
used to be (I am using the same monitor that I had before). My impression
is that the pixels are just a little bit thinner than before. Letters look
thinner; they look a little more like they are made up of dots (which of
course they are, but if the dots were a little fatter they would merge
better).

Both the previous computer and the new one came with XP, although the
previous one was probably pre-SR2.

Is there any way to modify the quality of character display in XP? Or would
this be a Graphics Adapter vendor-specific issue?

Thanks for any help.

Malke

Renny Bosch wrote:

> When I bought my last computer, on initial setup it came up with a
> screen that said something like "Choose which of these options makes
> the screen
> most legible." I tried various choices, which made only a rather
(snippage)

> Is there any way to modify the quality of character display in XP? Or
> would this be a Graphics Adapter vendor-specific issue?

Download the ClearType tuner Power Toy:

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Thanks Malke, that was exactly what I wanted.

Renny

> Renny Bosch wrote:
>
>> When I bought my last computer, on initial setup it came up with a
>> screen that said something like "Choose which of these options makes
>> the screen
>> most legible." I tried various choices, which made only a rather
> (snippage)
>
>> Is there any way to modify the quality of character display in XP? Or
>> would this be a Graphics Adapter vendor-specific issue?
>>

> Download the ClearType tuner Power Toy:

> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Renny Bosch wrote:

> Thanks Malke, that was exactly what I wanted.

You're very welcome. Thanks for letting me know.

Malke