Recently I bought a computer which had a version of windows nt on it. I was
doing a course where we used windows xp so I tried to upgrade to this using a
cd rom. It seemed to accept the xp version but when I restarted the computer
I got a blue screen at window start up which read: 0x0000008E (0x0000005,
0x804F2906, 0xF422D778, 0x00000000). I can start xp in safe mode and all of
my files and applications are intact except the ability to use the printer.
The message indicated that maybe there was inadequate disk space. Does
anyone have an idea of what I should do to make it work out of safe mode?
--
Rubyrach:)

a) How big is the hard drive?

b) Did you disconnect the printer before upgrading to XP? If not,
uninstall and reinstall it:
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Rubyrach1" <Rubyrach1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Recently I bought a computer which had a version of windows nt on it. I
> was
> doing a course where we used windows xp so I tried to upgrade to this
> using a
> cd rom. It seemed to accept the xp version but when I restarted the
> computer
> I got a blue screen at window start up which read: 0x0000008E (0x0000005,
> 0x804F2906, 0xF422D778, 0x00000000). I can start xp in safe mode and all
> of
> my files and applications are intact except the ability to use the
> printer.
> The message indicated that maybe there was inadequate disk space. Does
> anyone have an idea of what I should do to make it work out of safe mode?
> --
> Rubyrach:)

"STOP 0x0000008e" error message during Windows XP setup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q315335

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Rubyrach1 wrote:

> Recently I bought a computer which had a version of windows nt on it. I was
> doing a course where we used windows xp so I tried to upgrade to this using a
> cd rom. It seemed to accept the xp version but when I restarted the computer
> I got a blue screen at window start up which read: 0x0000008E (0x0000005,
> 0x804F2906, 0xF422D778, 0x00000000). I can start xp in safe mode and all of
> my files and applications are intact except the ability to use the printer.
> The message indicated that maybe there was inadequate disk space. Does
> anyone have an idea of what I should do to make it work out of safe mode?

The computer was second hand and has an Intel Pent III processor with 996mHz,
256 MB Ram. The printer was plugged in when I performed the upgrade but as I
can only start in safe mode it is not letting me reinstall it from the cd. My
main concern though is not being able to start windows normally. I have
fiddled around with it and managed to sucessfully create a second partition
which runs xp. But if I try to start from the old nt partition, I still get
the same blue screen. Any more thoughts?
--
Rubyrach:)