thow to run programs that are already installed in win 98 ..

i have installed a lot of software and games in my windows 98 comp and now i
have windows xp also in my comp along with win 98.i would like to know how
all these software like games which run now only in win 98 can be made to run
in win xp other than by reinstalling,and if reinstalling is the only option
wont this take double space as these programs are already installed in win 98.
i would be grtefu;l if anyone helps me.

You have to install again, but that can be just to create
registry entries that point to the W98 OS program files
location.

If you created a dual (or more) OS computer from scratch,
you might want to have C: as the primary boot partition with
the boot menu and the first OS, D: could be for applications
and E:-whatever, for other OSs. Only OS would be on their
partition (or drive) and all applications could be on one
drive. You might also want to have your personal data files
(My Documents) on a separate drive.

You could boot to any OS and then install an application,
always to drive D: and then all programs could run on any
OS.

some support

"nailesh" <nailesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
|i have installed a lot of software and games in my windows
98 comp and now i
| have windows xp also in my comp along with win 98.i would
like to know how
| all these software like games which run now only in win 98
can be made to run
| in win xp other than by reinstalling,and if reinstalling
is the only option
| wont this take double space as these programs are already
installed in win 98.
| i would be grtefu;l if anyone helps me.

"nailesh" <nailesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

>i have installed a lot of software and games in my windows 98 comp and now
> have windows xp also in my comp along with win 98.i would like to know how
> all these software like games which run now only in win 98 can be made to
> run
> in win xp other than by reinstalling,and if reinstalling is the only
> option
> wont this take double space as these programs are already installed in win
> 98.
> i would be grtefu;l if anyone helps me.

In general you must reinstall all your programs so that the appropriate
registry entries appear in your XP environment. However, if you designate
the same folder as the W98 install, you will not double the space required,
although you may encounter some additional space requirements. I say in
general because some programs like Norton has separate and distinct version
for W98 and XP and if you install over the W98 program, Norton will NOT run
in W98 any longer.

--
..__
(__

> You have to install again, but that can be just to create
> registry entries that point to the W98 OS program files
> location.
>
> If you created a dual (or more) OS computer from scratch,
> you might want to have C: as the primary boot partition with
> the boot menu and the first OS, D: could be for applications
> and E:-whatever, for other OSs. Only OS would be on their
> partition (or drive) and all applications could be on one
> drive. You might also want to have your personal data files
> (My Documents) on a separate drive.
>
> You could boot to any OS and then install an application,
> always to drive D: and then all programs could run on any
> OS.
If the program makes Registry entries, then it will have to be installed in
each OS.
--
Ron Sommer

Hi

You could try using the Program Compatibility Program - available via
Programs>Accessories.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"nailesh" <nailesh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have installed a lot of software and games in my windows 98 comp and now
> have windows xp also in my comp along with win 98.i would like to know how
> all these software like games which run now only in win 98 can be made to
> run
> in win xp other than by reinstalling,and if reinstalling is the only
> option
> wont this take double space as these programs are already installed in win
> 98.
> i would be grtefu;l if anyone helps me.

> You could try using the Program Compatibility Program - available via
> Programs>Accessories.

> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups

Another truly STUPID answer from an MVP who isn't. If this is the quality
of person allowed to use the designation, Microsoft should disband the
program.

That is what I said, you boot each OS and install the
program. But you install all compatible application
programs in the same partition (drive) unless that
application will run only under that OS. In that case you
could install that application into the partition with that
OS.

some support