Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Stereo Bluetooth Headset Face-Off: Plantronics Pulsar 590A vs. IOGear GBMHKIT

Last response: in Tom's Guide
July 12, 2006 9:37:33 PM

I have the 590a and I am very happy with all the features mentioned in this article. I have been using it for over a month or so now and it is truly worth every penny. That being said, you should spend a long considering what you plan to use the product for. I use mine primarily for talking to friends on teamspeak for hours at a time (which the headset's battery can handle, no problem). In hindsight, I probably should have gotten a single ear piece headset like the one I use for my phone. Having both ears covered makes hearing the regular computer sounds coming out of my desktop speakers harder to hear. Do yourself a favor and try a few different Bluetooth dongles (All Bluetooth 2 of course) if you hook this up to your PC. Your biggest sound quality issues will likely be caused by having a cheap dongle. This unit is great for use during light workouts (walking/biking) when connected to a walkman/MP3player and your USB capable phone at the same time. The switch over between audio and phone is really easy and sure to impress. If you have the option to get an extended warranty on this headset, I highly recommend it. If yours dies in three years you can get the newest one for free since they'll likely stop making these. :o 
July 20, 2006 2:31:54 PM

I just ordered mine for 112 after shipping on ebay :)  Am I correct in saying that, once the lithium polymer battery dies, you cannot use the headset or universal adapter anymore?
Related resources
July 24, 2006 9:04:55 AM

That's about the size of it, but you're talking a good while of usage.
September 2, 2006 2:26:39 PM

Quote:
I have the 590a and I am very happy with all the features mentioned in this article. I have been using it for over a month or so now and it is truly worth every penny. That being said, you should spend a long considering what you plan to use the product for. I use mine primarily for talking to friends on teamspeak for hours at a time (which the headset's battery can handle, no problem). In hindsight, I probably should have gotten a single ear piece headset like the one I use for my phone. Having both ears covered makes hearing the regular computer sounds coming out of my desktop speakers harder to hear. Do yourself a favor and try a few different Bluetooth dongles (All Bluetooth 2 of course) if you hook this up to your PC. Your biggest sound quality issues will likely be caused by having a cheap dongle. This unit is great for use during light workouts (walking/biking) when connected to a walkman/MP3player and your USB capable phone at the same time. The switch over between audio and phone is really easy and sure to impress. If you have the option to get an extended warranty on this headset, I highly recommend it. If yours dies in three years you can get the newest one for free since they'll likely stop making these. :o 

Finally! I have found someone who has been able to get their Plantronics 590a to work with a bluetooth adapter on a PC! I have been pulling my hair out all week trying to get it to work.

Which Bluetooth stack are you using?

I have tried both the latest Toshiba and Bluesoleil stacks, as Widcomm doesn't seem to recognize my Billionton PCMCIA Bluetooth card.

Both Toshiba and Bluesoleil are able to pair with the 590a, but the problem is I cannot switch between using the 590a as stereo headphones and using them as headset. I can pair it as one or the other, but then in order to use the other service I need to completely delete the 590a profile and reinstall it as the other service.

With Bluesoleil, it will only recognize it as a "AV service" (stereo headphones), and I can't get it to recognize it as a headset (with mic) at all!

If you have had better luck than I have (and it sounds like you have!) can you please elaborate on what bluetooth stack you are using, and exactly what you did to get it to work?

Many thanks,
Icarus
September 19, 2010 3:29:49 PM

This topic has been closed by Reynod
!