Good complement to NOD32

June 24, 2005 6:17:55 AM

Given that two virus checkers may not peacefully coexist on one
machine, it occurs to me that I could install a second virus scanner
on a networked machine and scan from there.

So...any opinions on scanners that would be a good complement to
NOD32? I've run the web-based versions of Kaspersky and Trend, and
both picked up a few things that NOD missed (I assume the converse
would be true, had I run NOD after them). Any others?

More about : good complement nod32

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 11:02:15 AM

NOD32 could be the secondary - it scans network devices.

I handle about 500 viruses a day in bounce messages from Mailservers -
I really don't think I need a secondary AV, but about once a quarter, I
run a full scan using at least TWO of the online scanners - trend and
kaspersky I've tried, also a couple of others... so far, I've yet to
find a virus/trojan that was missed by NOD32 - although I've had a few
false positives and some "questionable" threats found - like cookies
with one online scanner (can't remember which).

hth

Greg

--
http://www.nod32usa.com
Anonymous

"_RR" <_RR@nomail.org> wrote in message
> Given that two virus checkers may not peacefully coexist on one
> machine, it occurs to me that I could install a second virus scanner
> on a networked machine and scan from there.
>
> So...any opinions on scanners that would be a good complement to
> NOD32? I've run the web-based versions of Kaspersky and Trend, and
> both picked up a few things that NOD missed (I assume the converse
> would be true, had I run NOD after them). Any others?

AVG [not the free version] has the ability to scan networked PCs, I'm
sure there are others.

rgds
Li'l Roberto
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 8:21:47 PM

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 16:21:46 +0930, "Li'l Roberto"
<whoisit@nospam.invalid.net> wrote:

>"_RR" <_RR@nomail.org> wrote in message
>> Given that two virus checkers may not peacefully coexist on one
>> machine, it occurs to me that I could install a second virus scanner
>> on a networked machine and scan from there.
>>
>> So...any opinions on scanners that would be a good complement to
>> NOD32? I've run the web-based versions of Kaspersky and Trend, and
>> both picked up a few things that NOD missed (I assume the converse
>> would be true, had I run NOD after them). Any others?
>
>AVG [not the free version] has the ability to scan networked PCs, I'm
>sure there are others.

Thanks, Roberto. I've used AVG in the past, and though it's not the
favorite of some with more expertise, it has done pretty OKl for me.
It picks up some things that others miss, and vice versa. I was
looking for something that is known to catch viruses that escape
NOD32's notice. Some virus tests and bulletins carry extensive info
on what viruses are caught by what software. On cursory look, it
seemed like Kaspersky and NOD32 would be a good combo, but I haven't
combed those tests like some of the system admin people here.
June 27, 2005 3:57:06 AM

_RR wrote:

> Given that two virus checkers may not peacefully coexist on one
> machine, it occurs to me that I could install a second virus scanner
> on a networked machine and scan from there.
>
> So...any opinions on scanners that would be a good complement to
> NOD32? I've run the web-based versions of Kaspersky and Trend, and
> both picked up a few things that NOD missed (I assume the converse
> would be true, had I run NOD after them). Any others?

Two AV programs can be on the same machine. Just make sure active real
time protection is enabled for only one of them. The other can be used
for manual scans.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User