Sign in with
Your question

DVD player stopped playing DVD's

Last response: in Storage
April 23, 2004 11:40:45 AM

I have a Lite-On DVD player (LTD-163). A few days ago it stopped playing any DVD. It plays CD's fine. It spins for about a minute then stops. If I click on the DVD icon it says to insert DVD. I've tried unplugging the power from the unit (maybe it has some sort of memory that needs to reset) and I tried to clean it. Any ideas? The drive is a little more than a year old.

Thanks,

Chris
April 29, 2004 1:09:44 PM

there are 2 lenses in the drive, one for DVDs & another one for CDs... if after cleaning the lenses still no joy then the DVD lens may have gone...

U could try the drive in another PC (I have seen XP not recognise certain disc types being present in the drive after a while & the only solution was a reinstall of the OS)

Trust me I know what I'm doing... ooops, grab the cat...
November 9, 2004 11:21:26 PM

Hi.

I have the same problem with my Liteon LDW 851S.

It plays CD;s fine (audio + software programs) but keeps spinning for DvDs.

Do I use a cleaning cd to clean the lense or would I have to open up the drive to do that? And how do I know which one is the DVD lense?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Related resources
November 11, 2004 12:23:59 AM

You would use a cleaning cd to clean the lense. Opening the drive would void your warranty making replacement impossible if it is defective.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
December 6, 2004 11:33:43 PM

also try a FIRMWARE and Driver Update....might refresh gay xp and allow the usage to see that media.

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
80gb Maxtor
200gb WD 8mb cache..
Lian-Li PC-60
LiteOn 52X/LiteOn 811s DVD-RW
AMD XP2800+
LeadTek GF4Ti4200 128mb
Hitachi CML174
1GB Corsair XMS PC3200
!