Loeb9 - Spanish Strategy?

Last response: in Video Games
May 14, 2005 4:28:04 PM

Hello all,

I am a fairly new player to the game of Diplomacy. I have played about
10 times total, with this being my 2nd Loeb9 game. We are playing at
work with moves submitted twice a week.

When the game pieces were dealt, I came out with Spain. France, as it
happens, is the player who took me out of the last game (when I was
Italy and he Germany) and I don't trust him at all. I think England
could possibly be trusted and Italy is a wild card.

What kind of strategy would people suggest in this situation (first
moves due in 72 hours).

Thanks,

More about : loeb9 spanish strategy

Anonymous
May 14, 2005 10:18:38 PM

> I am a fairly new player to the game of Diplomacy. I have played
> about 10 times total, with this being my 2nd Loeb9 game.

Which probably means your more experienced with the
variant than most of us are. ;-)

> When the game pieces were dealt, I came out with Spain.
> France, as it happens, is the player who took me out of
> the last game (when I was Italy and he Germany) and I don't
> trust him at all. I think England could possibly be trusted
> and Italy is a wild card.

You shouldn't base alliance decisions on what happened
last game, and you really shouldn't trust anyone, completely.
If the French player stabbed you in your last game, then it's
perfectly appropriate to not leave yourself open to a stab
from him this time, but it might be to your advantage to
work with him here. You can tell others your just setting
him up for a stab because of last game, and perhaps make
better progress than you would normally.

> What kind of strategy would people suggest in this
> situation (first moves due in 72 hours).

Talk to everyone, assuming that communication is
allowed. Suggest an attack on France to England,
Germany, and Italy, see if anyone is interested.
Suggest an attack on England to France (Por-MAO,
Bre-Eng), see if he's interested. Continue to talk
to everyone, each turn, consider what you need to
do to advance your cause this turn, next turn, next
year, and where you'd like to be several years down
the road. Try to not limit your options.

Eric.
May 15, 2005 2:45:19 AM

"alistair" <alistair.calder@gmail.com> writes:

First off, you don't want to ask these questions in this public forum,
because you need to assume that the other players in the game ALSO
are reading this and now they know who you trust and don't trust.
Plus they will read any advice we give you.

Given all that, I would suggest yo uthink about a VERY aggressive
move in some direction that will dominate any thinking they have
about you regarding seeing this note. If you try to make an alliance
or play passively, this note will dominate their thinking about you.
But actions always dominate words in this game. And who knows,
after that France might become your best friend.

Jim-Bob

>Hello all,

>I am a fairly new player to the game of Diplomacy. I have played about
>10 times total, with this being my 2nd Loeb9 game. We are playing at
>work with moves submitted twice a week.

>When the game pieces were dealt, I came out with Spain. France, as it
>happens, is the player who took me out of the last game (when I was
>Italy and he Germany) and I don't trust him at all. I think England
>could possibly be trusted and Italy is a wild card.

>What kind of strategy would people suggest in this situation (first
>moves due in 72 hours).

>Thanks,
May 15, 2005 5:14:23 AM

Jim Burgess wrote:

> First off, you don't want to ask these questions in this public forum,
> because you need to assume that the other players in the game ALSO
> are reading this and now they know who you trust and don't trust.
> Plus they will read any advice we give you.

This Groups would be an interesting forum for semi-public negotiation.
Anyone who tried that in a BOUNCED game, where anonymity is required,
should have their computer dissolve in a cloud of noxious smoke. But
where the game rules don't specifically prohibit it, it could be
interesting and useful.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 1:48:42 AM

Dvd Avins wrote:

> Jim Burgess wrote:
>>
>> First off, you don't want to ask these questions in this public forum,
>> because you need to assume that the other players in the game ALSO
>> are reading this and now they know who you trust and don't trust.
>> Plus they will read any advice we give you.
>
> This Groups would be an interesting forum for semi-public negotiation.
> Anyone who tried that in a BOUNCED game, where anonymity is required,
> should have their computer dissolve in a cloud of noxious smoke. But
> where the game rules don't specifically prohibit it, it could be
> interesting and useful.

You should try a game with Jim-Bob sometime! :-) ;-p
May 16, 2005 2:12:13 PM

"Rod Spade" <rodspade@acm.org> wrote in message
> Dvd Avins wrote:
>
> > Jim Burgess wrote:
> >>
> >> First off, you don't want to ask these questions in this public forum,
> >> because you need to assume that the other players in the game ALSO
> >> are reading this and now they know who you trust and don't trust.
> >> Plus they will read any advice we give you.
> >
> > This Groups would be an interesting forum for semi-public negotiation.
> > Anyone who tried that in a BOUNCED game, where anonymity is required,
> > should have their computer dissolve in a cloud of noxious smoke. But
> > where the game rules don't specifically prohibit it, it could be
> > interesting and useful.
>
> You should try a game with Jim-Bob sometime! :-) ;-p

Maybe we should setup a broadcast only game that is played over the news
group (all messages posted to the news group) between 7 of the most common
posters so that us 'newbies' can watch how all of the people that commonly
give out advice play.
Anonymous
May 16, 2005 4:24:33 PM

Steven wrote:
> "Rod Spade" <rodspade@acm.org> wrote in message
>> Dvd Avins wrote:

>>> This Groups would be an interesting forum for semi-public
>>> negotiation. Anyone who tried that in a BOUNCED game, where
>>> anonymity is required, should have their computer dissolve in a
>>> cloud of noxious smoke. But where the game rules don't specifically
>>> prohibit it, it could be interesting and useful.
>>
>> You should try a game with Jim-Bob sometime! :-) ;-p

> Maybe we should setup a broadcast only game that is played over the
> news group (all messages posted to the news group) between 7 of the
> most common posters so that us 'newbies' can watch how all of the
> people that commonly give out advice play.

Does saying you shouldn't ask for advice on the
newsgroup constitute "taking it up a level" on
giving advice? If so, Jim-Bob should be one of
the seven. ;-)

Eric.
May 17, 2005 10:48:36 PM

Rod Spade <rodspade@acm.org> writes:

>Dvd Avins wrote:

>> Jim Burgess wrote:
>>>
>>> First off, you don't want to ask these questions in this public forum,
>>> because you need to assume that the other players in the game ALSO
>>> are reading this and now they know who you trust and don't trust.
>>> Plus they will read any advice we give you.
>>
>> This Groups would be an interesting forum for semi-public negotiation.
>> Anyone who tried that in a BOUNCED game, where anonymity is required,
>> should have their computer dissolve in a cloud of noxious smoke. But
>> where the game rules don't specifically prohibit it, it could be
>> interesting and useful.

>You should try a game with Jim-Bob sometime! :-) ;-p

As Rod correctly notes, I DO use this forum for public
negotiations regarding games that I am in.... with impunity.
And I'm proud of it. A good diplomat uses ALL resources
at his or her disposal to get what he or she wants.
This is just a resource in the great mega-dip game.

Jim-Bob
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 10:50:42 PM

"Eric Hunter" <hunter90@comcast.not> writes:

>Steven wrote:
>> "Rod Spade" <rodspade@acm.org> wrote in message

>>> You should try a game with Jim-Bob sometime! :-) ;-p

>> Maybe we should setup a broadcast only game that is played over the
>> news group (all messages posted to the news group) between 7 of the
>> most common posters so that us 'newbies' can watch how all of the
>> people that commonly give out advice play.

>Does saying you shouldn't ask for advice on the
>newsgroup constitute "taking it up a level" on
>giving advice? If so, Jim-Bob should be one of
>the seven. ;-)

>Eric.
>--

LOL! Probably I should. Except you can't really have a
broadcast only game where we all know who each other is.
you can't trust a diplomat, you know..... of course, I would
use private and newsgroup negotiation both in equal measure
to make my points regardless.

Jim-Bob
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 12:28:20 AM

As we both know, Jim, *everything* counts.

"Jim Burgess" <burgess@TheWorld.com> wrote in message
news:D 6dea4$fms$1@pcls4.std.com...
> Rod Spade <rodspade@acm.org> writes:
>
> >Dvd Avins wrote:

> >> This Groups would be an interesting forum for semi-public negotiation.
> >> Anyone who tried that in a BOUNCED game, where anonymity is required,
> >> should have their computer dissolve in a cloud of noxious smoke. But
> >> where the game rules don't specifically prohibit it, it could be
> >> interesting and useful.
>
> >You should try a game with Jim-Bob sometime! :-) ;-p
>
> As Rod correctly notes, I DO use this forum for public
> negotiations regarding games that I am in.... with impunity.
> And I'm proud of it. A good diplomat uses ALL resources
> at his or her disposal to get what he or she wants.
> This is just a resource in the great mega-dip game.
>
> Jim-Bob
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 5:38:16 AM

In article <3u6dnX4dIfrnNhXfRVn-vQ@rogers.com>, Steven wrote:

> Maybe we should setup a broadcast only game that is played over the news
> group (all messages posted to the news group) between 7 of the most common
> posters so that us 'newbies' can watch how all of the people that commonly
> give out advice play.

I seem to vaguely remember that the rgd charter forbids the actual playing
of games on the newsgroup. I wonder why this provision was put in, since I
certainly wouldn't mind seeing an rgd game. I suspect the people who
drafted the rgd charter back in the early '90s were worried about low
bandwidth sites getting swamped with limited interest articles. But rgd
has been pretty low traffic lately, so I wouldn't mind.

Maybe someone ought to try setting up another "ghods" or over1200 game. Or
has one been set up in the recent past and I just missed it?

-Tim Miller

--
tmiller@sdf.lonestar.org
May 18, 2005 5:38:17 AM

Tim Miller wrote:

> Maybe someone ought to try setting up another "ghods" or over1200
> game. Or has one been set up in the recent past and I just missed it?

I don't think there have been any high-level/invitation-only
games since clgfp1 and gusty2 finished up a year or so ago.
Anyone, besides me, interested in gutsy3, or over1202?

Eric.
May 18, 2005 5:38:17 AM

In article <slrnd8l73b.mr6.tmiller@otaku.freeshell.org>,
Tim Miller <tmiller@otaku.freeshell.org> wrote:

>I seem to vaguely remember that the rgd charter forbids the actual playing
>of games on the newsgroup.

Hmm, don't think so:

>Newsgroups: news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,rec.games.misc,rec.games.board,rec.games.pbm,bit.listserv.dipl-l
>From: nick@watfrost.waterloo.edu (Nick Fitzpatrick)
>Subject: CFV: rec.games.diplomacy
>Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1992 20:49:11 GMT

> CALL FOR VOTES: rec.games.diplomacy
>
>PROPOSED CHARTER:
>----------------
>The newsgroup would be for the discussion and orginization of the game
>Diplomacy. Both regular (ie face to face) and play by mail would
>be discussed.
>
>HOW TO VOTE:
>-----------

Nope.

Now if I had known ... I would have put something in about top-posting ...

Nick
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 12:12:43 PM

I vaguely remember, looking through some *very* old posts in this newsgroup,
that at one time games were played on r.g.d.

"Nicholas Fitzpatrick" <nfitz@sentex> wrote in message
> In article <slrnd8l73b.mr6.tmiller@otaku.freeshell.org>,
> Tim Miller <tmiller@otaku.freeshell.org> wrote:
> >
> >I seem to vaguely remember that the rgd charter forbids the actual
playing
> >of games on the newsgroup.
>
> Hmm, don't think so:
>
> >Newsgroups:
news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,rec.games.misc,rec.games.board,rec.games
..pbm,bit.listserv.dipl-l
> >From: nick@watfrost.waterloo.edu (Nick Fitzpatrick)
> >Subject: CFV: rec.games.diplomacy
> >Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1992 20:49:11 GMT
>
> > CALL FOR VOTES: rec.games.diplomacy
> >
> >PROPOSED CHARTER:
> >----------------
> >The newsgroup would be for the discussion and orginization of the game
> >Diplomacy. Both regular (ie face to face) and play by mail would
> >be discussed.
> >
> >HOW TO VOTE:
> >-----------
>
> Nope.
>
> Now if I had known ... I would have put something in about top-posting ...
>
> Nick
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:41:10 PM

"Eric Hunter" writes:

> Anyone, besides me, interested in gutsy3, or over1202?

Doesn't an over-1200 game require up-to-date player ratings?

Andy
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 8:14:43 PM

Tim Miller <tmiller@otaku.freeshell.org> writes:

>In article <3u6dnX4dIfrnNhXfRVn-vQ@rogers.com>, Steven wrote:
>>
>> Maybe we should setup a broadcast only game that is played over the news
>> group (all messages posted to the news group) between 7 of the most common
>> posters so that us 'newbies' can watch how all of the people that commonly
>> give out advice play.

>I seem to vaguely remember that the rgd charter forbids the actual playing
>of games on the newsgroup. I wonder why this provision was put in, since I
>certainly wouldn't mind seeing an rgd game. I suspect the people who
>drafted the rgd charter back in the early '90s were worried about low
>bandwidth sites getting swamped with limited interest articles. But rgd
>has been pretty low traffic lately, so I wouldn't mind.

I can answer that Tim, as I was there when we started (only Rick
Desper among other newsgroup regulars can similarly so claim, I think).
First, you are right, r.g.d and its immediate predecessor were VERY
high bandwidth. I think there were easily 20-50 messages a day.
The idea also was tied up in how unwieldy Electronic Protocol had
become with all the games in it (Eric Klien's creation that was one of the
first major E-Mail Dip Hobby Communities). It was deemed to be
better to separate the games out. I actually didn't entirely agree
with the decision, since I come from the postal world, where public
game reporting and observing is part of the milieu. But, and we
keep discussing this, if anonymous games are a part of the playing
field, you don't want games to be TOO public. I would have liked
it better if "szines" evolved more like Postal, but they really
haven't in general. I have a forum upcoming soon where I plan
to say more about that.

>Maybe someone ought to try setting up another "ghods" or over1200 game. Or
>has one been set up in the recent past and I just missed it?

>-Tim Miller

Rick Desper and I (who were doing the "ghods" series) have just fallen
down on the job on that. We probably should do that again. We're
in golf season, so I know one person who won't be setting up over1200
games......

Jim-Bob
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 8:16:21 PM

nfitz@sentex (Nicholas Fitzpatrick) writes:

>In article <slrnd8l73b.mr6.tmiller@otaku.freeshell.org>,
>Tim Miller <tmiller@otaku.freeshell.org> wrote:
>>
>>I seem to vaguely remember that the rgd charter forbids the actual playing
>>of games on the newsgroup.

>Hmm, don't think so:

And Nick would know, glad to see Nick is still looking in too!!!
For those that don't know, Nick was the winner of that first
demo game, ghods.....

Jim-Bob

>>Newsgroups: news.announce.newgroups,news.groups,rec.games.misc,rec.games.board,rec.games.pbm,bit.listserv.dipl-l
>>From: nick@watfrost.waterloo.edu (Nick Fitzpatrick)
>>Subject: CFV: rec.games.diplomacy
>>Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1992 20:49:11 GMT

>> CALL FOR VOTES: rec.games.diplomacy
>>
>>PROPOSED CHARTER:
>>----------------
>>The newsgroup would be for the discussion and orginization of the game
>>Diplomacy. Both regular (ie face to face) and play by mail would
>>be discussed.
>>
>>HOW TO VOTE:
>>-----------

>Nope.

>Now if I had known ... I would have put something in about top-posting ...

>Nick
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 8:16:22 PM

In article <d6fpol$4nk$2@pcls4.std.com>,
Jim Burgess <burgess@TheWorld.com> wrote:

>And Nick would know, glad to see Nick is still looking in too!!!
>For those that don't know, Nick was the winner of that first
>demo game, ghods.....

Yeah, I'm always here to some extent. Though I haven't played
a game in ages. Not enough hours in the day. Though I'm sure
I'll be back in it more when I retire ... which will likely be
about 2030 or so, as long as I don't get hit by a streetcar (always
used to think I'd get hit by a bus, but now there is a streetcar on
my street instead of a bus (different street), and those things are
a little quieter! :-)

Well, I might have won ghods, but it was a setup!

Nick
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 5:44:47 AM

In article <428ad0f3$1@news.sentex.net>, Nicholas Fitzpatrick wrote:
> In article <slrnd8l73b.mr6.tmiller@otaku.freeshell.org>,
> Tim Miller <tmiller@otaku.freeshell.org> wrote:
>>
>>I seem to vaguely remember that the rgd charter forbids the actual playing
>>of games on the newsgroup.
>
> Hmm, don't think so:

Guess I'm wrong then. Certainly wouldn't be the first time that's happened
in rgd :-D. A newsgroup game would be kind of fun IMO, and I might be
convinced to play if the deadlines were right (not too short and not too
long: I seem to have trouble with both as Jim-Bob can attest) and anyone
actually wanted me. I actually did at one point have a JDPR of over 1200,
but it's slipped back considerably.

-Tim Miller

--
tmiller@sdf.lonestar.org
May 21, 2005 5:51:55 AM

In article <d6fplj$4nk$1@pcls4.std.com>, Jim Burgess wrote:

>>Maybe someone ought to try setting up another "ghods" or over1200 game. Or
>>has one been set up in the recent past and I just missed it?
>
> Rick Desper and I (who were doing the "ghods" series) have just fallen
> down on the job on that. We probably should do that again. We're
> in golf season, so I know one person who won't be setting up over1200
> games......

Part of the problem I think may be that the online hobby seems a lot more
fragmented than it was in the mid to late '90s when I first started
playing (hard to believe I was in high school when I first started posting
here and making my first forays into Judge dip). IIRC it used to be just
the judges and Cat23 (with some stuff like the Compuserve dip group on its
last legs) mostly, but now there's also the DPJudge, Bounced, etc. I'm not
sure about the postal hobby, other than what I read in TAP (new issue just
came today, BTW).

I'd be glad to help set up something, though, if there's interest and any
assistance is wanted.

-Tim Miller

--
tmiller@sdf.lonestar.org
May 21, 2005 5:51:56 AM

Tim Miller wrote:
> In article <d6fplj$4nk$1@pcls4.std.com>, Jim Burgess wrote:
>>
>>> Maybe someone ought to try setting up another "ghods" or over1200
>>> game. Or has one been set up in the recent past and I just missed
>>> it?
>>
>> Rick Desper and I (who were doing the "ghods" series) have just
>> fallen down on the job on that. We probably should do that again.
>> We're in golf season, so I know one person who won't be
>> setting up over1200 games......

As has been pointed out, the JDPR hasn't been updated
since January of 2004, so it's probably better to go with a
"ghod-like" game, right now. (The group working on the
JDPR update is close to having 2004 done, though.)

> I'd be glad to help set up something, though, if there's interest and
> any assistance is wanted.

I think it would be interesting to do this comments/pinnacle
style with the private yahoo-group of observers/commentators.
So, if you want to talk to Greg Greenman about how he set that
up, I'll start looking for a group of full-press "ghods". Jim-Bob,
are you interested in playing?

Eric.
May 21, 2005 8:47:50 PM

In article <slrnd8t4je.g87.tmiller@otaku.freeshell.org>, Tim Miller
<tmiller@otaku.freeshell.org> writes
>In article <428ad0f3$1@news.sentex.net>, Nicholas Fitzpatrick wrote:
>> In article <slrnd8l73b.mr6.tmiller@otaku.freeshell.org>,
>> Tim Miller <tmiller@otaku.freeshell.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>I seem to vaguely remember that the rgd charter forbids the actual playing
>>>of games on the newsgroup.
>>
>> Hmm, don't think so:
>
>Guess I'm wrong then. Certainly wouldn't be the first time that's happened
>in rgd :-D. A newsgroup game would be kind of fun IMO, and I might be
>convinced to play if the deadlines were right (not too short and not too
>long: I seem to have trouble with both as Jim-Bob can attest) and anyone
>actually wanted me. I actually did at one point have a JDPR of over 1200,
>but it's slipped back considerably.
>
>-Tim Miller

As an occasional poster and long time lurker, I think it'd be fun to
watch the Gods bestow their wisdom on us Niebelungen. ChienFou

--
John (MadDog) Probst| . ! -^- |AIM GLChienFou
451 Mile End Road | /|__. \:/ |BCLive ChienFou

Tim Miller <tmiller@otaku.freeshell.org> writes:

>In article <d6fplj$4nk$1@pcls4.std.com>, Jim Burgess wrote:
>>
>>>Maybe someone ought to try setting up another "ghods" or over1200 game. Or
>>>has one been set up in the recent past and I just missed it?
>>
>> Rick Desper and I (who were doing the "ghods" series) have just fallen
>> down on the job on that. We probably should do that again. We're
>> in golf season, so I know one person who won't be setting up over1200
>> games......

>Part of the problem I think may be that the online hobby seems a lot more
>fragmented than it was in the mid to late '90s when I first started
>playing (hard to believe I was in high school when I first started posting
>here and making my first forays into Judge dip). IIRC it used to be just
>the judges and Cat23 (with some stuff like the Compuserve dip group on its
>last legs) mostly, but now there's also the DPJudge, Bounced, etc. I'm not
>sure about the postal hobby, other than what I read in TAP (new issue just
>came today, BTW).

>I'd be glad to help set up something, though, if there's interest and any
>assistance is wanted.

>-Tim Miller

>--
>tmiller@sdf.lonestar.org
>SDF Public Access UNIX System - http://sdf.lonestar.org

For those that DO like very slow games with long deadlines (i.e. 6
weeks between Fall/Spring/Fall with a three week in between adjustment
and retreat deadline, the postal world is still viable. In the last
six months there has been a resurgence of activity and new games
in the US postal hobby, just a cyclical thing, I think. But hey,
if anyone from here wants to cross over into Postal Play, check
out the Postal pages on the Pouch, or contact me, I send free
postal samples, or look at the TAP web:

http://devel.diplom.org/DipPouch/Postal/Zines/TAP/

Jim-Bob
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 9:23:53 PM

"Eric Hunter" <hunter90@comcast.not> writes:

>Tim Miller wrote:

>>> Rick Desper and I (who were doing the "ghods" series) have just
>>> fallen down on the job on that. We probably should do that again.
>>> We're in golf season, so I know one person who won't be
>>> setting up over1200 games......

>As has been pointed out, the JDPR hasn't been updated
>since January of 2004, so it's probably better to go with a
>"ghod-like" game, right now. (The group working on the
>JDPR update is close to having 2004 done, though.)

>> I'd be glad to help set up something, though, if there's interest and
>> any assistance is wanted.

>I think it would be interesting to do this comments/pinnacle
>style with the private yahoo-group of observers/commentators.
>So, if you want to talk to Greg Greenman about how he set that
>up, I'll start looking for a group of full-press "ghods". Jim-Bob,
>are you interested in playing?

>Eric.
>--

I might as well say publicly what I just sent you privately, I would
not be available for a new game until Sept., too much summer travel,
vacation home stuff (gee, I'm starting to SOUND like Doug!!!) and
of course work. Huge deadlines in the next month or so, which I why
I should get back to work, no weekend for me this weekend....

Jim-Bob
Anonymous
May 21, 2005 10:11:51 PM

In article <EN6dnUpPgvn2IBPfRVn-2w@comcast.com>, Eric Hunter wrote:

> I think it would be interesting to do this comments/pinnacle
> style with the private yahoo-group of observers/commentators.
> So, if you want to talk to Greg Greenman about how he set that
> up, I'll start looking for a group of full-press "ghods". Jim-Bob,
> are you interested in playing?

I agree that's a good idea and would be glad to help with this. In fact,
I think with the recent changes in the Judge you don't even need JK
priviliges to set that up. Just create a dummy e-mail account that
forwards all its mail to a Yahoogroups list, set it not not actually
receive any mail from Yahoogroups, and then sign it on to the game and
promote it to master (all press will, of course, be set). I can get this
done easily.

I see you've sent out a canvass e-mail already -- hopefully we'll get a
few takers here :-).

-Tim Miller

--
tmiller@sdf.lonestar.org
May 21, 2005 10:11:52 PM

Tim Miller wrote:
> In article <EN6dnUpPgvn2IBPfRVn-2w@comcast.com>, Eric Hunter wrote:
>>
>> I think it would be interesting to do this comments/pinnacle
>> style with the private yahoo-group of observers/commentators.

> I agree that's a good idea and would be glad to help with this.

Great, thanks.

> I see you've sent out a canvass e-mail already --

Yes, I emailed half a dozen of the best Judge full-press
players, whose addresses I had, along with one pbm
luminary, and two FtF "ghods". Hopefully, the call
will spread. (since it occurs to me that I don't
qualify to play in this game lol)

> hopefully we'll get a few takers here :-).

Yes! I don't know if Mr. Cohen would dirty himself
by playing on a Judge, with a bunch of draw-mongers, ;-)
but he'd be welcome. Jim-Bob, can you think of
anyone else deserving of an invite?

Eric.
May 21, 2005 10:11:53 PM

I appreciate the thought, but even if I were of a mind to overcome my
judge-aversion, I am full-up with games at the moment. Thanks, anyway.

"Eric Hunter" <hunter90@comcast.not> wrote [edited]:

> Yes! I don't know if Mr. Cohen would dirty himself
> by playing on a Judge, with a bunch of draw-mongers, ;-)
> but he'd be welcome. Jim-Bob, can you think of
> anyone else deserving of an invite?
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 1:34:15 AM

"Eric Hunter" <hunter90@comcast.not> writes:

>Tim Miller wrote:
>> In article <EN6dnUpPgvn2IBPfRVn-2w@comcast.com>, Eric Hunter wrote:
>>>
>>> I think it would be interesting to do this comments/pinnacle
>>> style with the private yahoo-group of observers/commentators.

>> I agree that's a good idea and would be glad to help with this.

>Great, thanks.

>> I see you've sent out a canvass e-mail already --

>Yes, I emailed half a dozen of the best Judge full-press
>players, whose addresses I had, along with one pbm
>luminary, and two FtF "ghods". Hopefully, the call
>will spread. (since it occurs to me that I don't
>qualify to play in this game lol)

>> hopefully we'll get a few takers here :-).

>Yes! I don't know if Mr. Cohen would dirty himself
>by playing on a Judge, with a bunch of draw-mongers, ;-)
>but he'd be welcome. Jim-Bob, can you think of
>anyone else deserving of an invite?

>Eric.
>--

Always, I can, but it kind of depends who and what you're
trying to attract. Someone should tell me what kind of
luminaries you want (experience/age, setting, etc.) and
I'll pop up some names.

Jim-Bob
Anonymous
May 25, 2005 1:34:16 AM

Jim Burgess wrote:

>> Jim-Bob, can you think of anyone else deserving
>> of an invite?

> Always, I can, but it kind of depends who and what you're
> trying to attract. Someone should tell me what kind of
> luminaries you want (experience/age, setting, etc.) and
> I'll pop up some names.

Weeelllll, it was "defined" as a ghods/gutsy/over1200 type
game, which is a pretty loose definition. I invited:
Tamas Hauer, Rod Spade, Roger Yonkoski, Karlis Povisils,
Jim Burgess, David Dye, Chris Martin, Brent Warner,
Andy Bartalone, Allen Schweinsberg, Eugene Hung,
Glenn Ledder, and Chris Aanstoos. With the exception of
you and Mr. Aanstoos, they are all people who have played
in the VGFP, over1200 series, gutsy series, teachme series,
bkseat series and/or comments series of games, and
exhibited excellent skill in negotiation and piece-pushing.
Of course, Chris Martin and Andy Bartalone are also
outstanding FtF players. Chris Aanstoos has the highest
JDPR so far, and you are famous for taking it to the next
level. ;-)

So far, we have two yeses from the FtF crowd, two 'no's,
two "not until September"s, one "I shouldn't", and an "I
shouldn't, but I will if Roger and/or Karlis play", and five
"no response"s. Toby Harris seems like an obvious
person to invite, if he'll play on a Judge. Does the game
HAVE to be played on a Judge? Well, I suppose not, but
doing so makes it easy to forward all press and results
to the commentators/observers, and to add it to the
Showcase section of the Pouch, once it is done. I don't
know that age matters, but I'd like this game to serve as
something of a Master's Class in Full-Press Diplomacy,
so skill and experience in PBM/PBeM Dip is important,
and Judge experience or technical comfort in learning
a new system would be a plus.

Eric.
May 25, 2005 7:40:15 PM

"Eric Hunter" <hunter90@comcast.not> writes:

>Jim Burgess wrote:

>>> Jim-Bob, can you think of anyone else deserving
>>> of an invite?

>> Always, I can, but it kind of depends who and what you're
>> trying to attract. Someone should tell me what kind of
>> luminaries you want (experience/age, setting, etc.) and
>> I'll pop up some names.

>Weeelllll, it was "defined" as a ghods/gutsy/over1200 type
>game, which is a pretty loose definition. I invited:
>Tamas Hauer, Rod Spade, Roger Yonkoski, Karlis Povisils,
>Jim Burgess, David Dye, Chris Martin, Brent Warner,
>Andy Bartalone, Allen Schweinsberg, Eugene Hung,
>Glenn Ledder, and Chris Aanstoos. With the exception of
>you and Mr. Aanstoos, they are all people who have played
>in the VGFP, over1200 series, gutsy series, teachme series,
>bkseat series and/or comments series of games, and
>exhibited excellent skill in negotiation and piece-pushing.
>Of course, Chris Martin and Andy Bartalone are also
>outstanding FtF players. Chris Aanstoos has the highest
>JDPR so far, and you are famous for taking it to the next
>level. ;-)

>So far, we have two yeses from the FtF crowd, two 'no's,
>two "not until September"s, one "I shouldn't", and an "I
>shouldn't, but I will if Roger and/or Karlis play", and five
>"no response"s. Toby Harris seems like an obvious
>person to invite, if he'll play on a Judge. Does the game
>HAVE to be played on a Judge? Well, I suppose not, but
>doing so makes it easy to forward all press and results
>to the commentators/observers, and to add it to the
>Showcase section of the Pouch, once it is done. I don't
>know that age matters, but I'd like this game to serve as
>something of a Master's Class in Full-Press Diplomacy,
>so skill and experience in PBM/PBeM Dip is important,
>and Judge experience or technical comfort in learning
>a new system would be a plus.

>Eric.
>--

Toby would be good to invite, if you actually got him,
I would agree to play (so you can invite him that way
if you want). I'm not sure if he would agree to play
on a Judge or not, but you should keep it on the Judge.

I would invite Perry Bartol and Cal White from DipBounced,
Cal is also a noted FTF and postal player and played in
one of the earlier games in my series (ghodstoo, I think).

And then I would invite Yann Clouet and Edi Birsan who
are the top two FTF players in the world right now.
Edi also played in the same Judge game that Cal did
(Again, I think it was ghodstoo) and Edi will tell
you that he didn't love it, but might be willing to
try it again. Yann might refuse to play if it is
Judge, but might not, not sure.

There's a few more ideas, come back for more privately
or publicly if you like.

Jim-Bob
Anonymous
May 26, 2005 3:42:34 AM

Jim Burgess wrote:

> Toby would be good to invite, if you actually got him,
> I would agree to play (so you can invite him that way
> if you want).

Well, I don't actually know him, and I don't have his address.
I just know OF him.

> I would invite Perry Bartol and Cal White

Please do. ;-)

> then I would invite Yann Clouet and Edi Birsan who
> are the top two FTF players in the world right now.

Feel free. ;-) With the exception of Edi, who played
to a draw with my wife, and eliminated me at Tempest IV,
(I doubt he'd remember me, though he might remember
Kai), I know none of these people, except by reputation,
and even the folks I know personally, and consider to be
my friends are saying no to me, so I'm inclined to either
pass the baton on to you, or delay the game until Sept.
when more folks seem to be available.

Eric.
May 26, 2005 5:49:35 AM

In article <d7268v$dnr$1@pcls4.std.com>, Jim Burgess wrote:

> Toby would be good to invite, if you actually got him,
> I would agree to play (so you can invite him that way
> if you want). I'm not sure if he would agree to play
> on a Judge or not, but you should keep it on the Judge.

If worse comes to worse, I could submit Judge orders for complete
judge-phobes (i.e. orders are sent to me and then I put them into the
Judge). Mail could be handled similarly, or the non-Judge users could
agree to CC a bounce address on all off Judge press, thus preventing them
from needing to sign up for the list while still getting their press
posted directly.

-Tim Miller

--
tmiller@sdf.lonestar.org
May 26, 2005 5:27:48 PM

"Eric Hunter" <hunter90@comcast.not> writes:

>Jim Burgess wrote:

>> Toby would be good to invite, if you actually got him,
>> I would agree to play (so you can invite him that way
>> if you want).

>Well, I don't actually know him, and I don't have his address.
>I just know OF him.

>> I would invite Perry Bartol and Cal White

>Please do. ;-)

>> then I would invite Yann Clouet and Edi Birsan who
>> are the top two FTF players in the world right now.

>Feel free. ;-) With the exception of Edi, who played
>to a draw with my wife, and eliminated me at Tempest IV,
>(I doubt he'd remember me, though he might remember
>Kai), I know none of these people, except by reputation,
>and even the folks I know personally, and consider to be
>my friends are saying no to me, so I'm inclined to either
>pass the baton on to you, or delay the game until Sept.
>when more folks seem to be available.

>Eric.
>--

I think that's what I would do.