New Standard Diplomacy Game

Last response: in Video Games
Share
May 15, 2005 2:28:49 PM

I'm looking for players to join a diplomacy game I would like to host.
I am using jDip for a standard game with seven players. I have one
player already and so am looking for 5 more. We are not new to the
game, but at the same time I would not consider either of us veterans.
If you are interested you can e-mail me here: ericmarr@gmail.com . I
preferrably would like to do this somewhat quickly, but I am flexible
on deadlines. Perhaps Spring: Wed, Fall: Fri, Adjustments: Sun. But
like I said, I'm flexible and open to suggestions.
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 11:56:15 AM

I've NEVER played on-line, but I'd like to give it a shot.

I've played diplomacy also only a few times in my life.

So, Newbie!!! What is jDip, and what should I do if I am interested?
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:23:01 AM

rlaurie@gmail.com wrote:

> I've NEVER played on-line, but I'd like to give it a shot.
>
> I've played diplomacy also only a few times in my life.
>
> So, Newbie!!! What is jDip, and what should I do if I am interested?

This is a good place to start for more info:

http://www.diplom.org/Email/newbie.html
June 2, 2005 11:41:18 AM

jDip is great!

I, who am a newbie at the game, can play 'solitaire'... (think what are
the best strategies for each guy). And almost get the 'chesslike'
facets of the game going (and getting to understand the rules better).

But what if I want to start a game with some of my friends... (before I
enter the big evil world out there...) How can we run that with jDip?
Or do we *have* to go through an internet judge?
Anonymous
June 2, 2005 2:56:44 PM

rlaurie@gmail.com wrote:

> what if I want to start a game with some of my friends...
> How can we run that with jDip?

Local friends, or email friends? If local, just write down
your orders on a slip of paper, as you normally would for
a FtF game, and then type them all into jdip to adjudicate.
By email, you would need a friend to act as GM and all
the players would mail him their moves, and he'd enter
them into jdip.

> Or do we *have* to go through an internet judge?

No, of course not.

Eric.
June 2, 2005 9:00:12 PM

rlaurie@gmail.com writes:

> But what if I want to start a game with some of my friends... (before I
> enter the big evil world out there...)

It's not all big and evil. You can join a newbie game by using the queue
on http://diplom.org/DP-cgi/setqueue

> How can we run that with jDip? Or do we *have* to go through an
> internet judge?

To start with, you can set up a game for you and your friends on a
judge, if you want to. (Though different judges may have different
policies about game creation.)

As for jdip, it's an adjudicator as well as a mapper, so you could use
that to run a game, if you don't feel familiar enough with the rules to
adjudicate the game by hand. For more on that, see the jDip
documentation.

Adjudicating games by hand might be the best way to learn the rules,
though, so I recommend that, too. Maybe you can try to adjudicate each
move by hand first, and then see if jDip agrees with you.
Anonymous
June 3, 2005 12:25:54 AM

Rod Spade wrote:
> rlaurie@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>I've NEVER played on-line, but I'd like to give it a shot.
>>
>>I've played diplomacy also only a few times in my life.
>>
>>So, Newbie!!! What is jDip, and what should I do if I am interested?
>
> This is a good place to start for more info:
>
> http://www.diplom.org/Email/newbie.html

It would be nice if they also mentioned BOUNCED, which is at
www.dipbounced.com.

--
Any time you get members of a government preaching out -against
government-, it's a sure bet they're looking to replace it with whatever