boot loader for dual boot

I Installed a 2nd HD and cloned my first HD to it as a backup
and would like to be able to dual boot. This is XP Pro. I would like
to know what numbers to use in multi, disk, and rdisk. It is in the
first partition so I think that would be #1
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
Professional" /fastdetect

multi(?)disk(?)rdisk(?)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
Professional backup" /fastdetect

Can someone fill in the ??? marks for me.

Thanks

Disks and partitions reside in the Binary world:

The first disk is not Disk 1 (one), it is Disk 0 (zero). A single disk,
single partition would boot from:
Partition (0) of Disk (0)

"herbiee" <herbiee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I Installed a 2nd HD and cloned my first HD to it as a backup
> and would like to be able to dual boot. This is XP Pro. I would like
> to know what numbers to use in multi, disk, and rdisk. It is in the
> first partition so I think that would be #1
> [boot loader]
> timeout=30
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional" /fastdetect
>
> multi(?)disk(?)rdisk(?)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional backup" /fastdetect
>
> Can someone fill in the ??? marks for me.
>
> Thanks

multi, disk, and rdisk would be 0 for a single disk.
Partitions start with 1.
multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)

You will need a boot manager.
The boot files are on C: which puts the cloned XP on D:.
--
Ron Sommer

"Og" <Og@msn.com> wrote in message
> Disks and partitions reside in the Binary world:
>
> The first disk is not Disk 1 (one), it is Disk 0 (zero). A single disk,
> single partition would boot from:
> Partition (0) of Disk (0)
>

> "herbiee" <herbiee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I Installed a 2nd HD and cloned my first HD to it as a backup
>> and would like to be able to dual boot. This is XP Pro. I would like
>> to know what numbers to use in multi, disk, and rdisk. It is in the
>> first partition so I think that would be #1
>> [boot loader]
>> timeout=30
>> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
>> [operating systems]
>> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
>> Professional" /fastdetect
>>
>> multi(?)disk(?)rdisk(?)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP
>> Professional backup" /fastdetect
>>
>> Can someone fill in the ??? marks for me.
>>
>> Thanks

What should the boot.ini look like on the 2nd HD