Cpu is at 100% Using XP Pro

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Hello

I have a P4 runnig XP Pro, my question is, sometimes my computer seems a bit
slow. So I checked my Task bar and that showed me that my cpu usage was to
its limit (100%)

I found out by seaching some sites, the problem relates to "svchost" but
no-one had witten How to get rid of it

Can Someone Please help me solve this problem?

Malke

Jason wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a P4 runnig XP Pro, my question is, sometimes my computer seems
> a bit slow. So I checked my Task bar and that showed me that my cpu
> usage was to its limit (100%)
>
> I found out by seaching some sites, the problem relates to "svchost"
> but no-one had witten How to get rid of it
>
> Can Someone Please help me solve this problem?

Please do the normal scanning for viral and non-viral malware. See the
general instructions below. It is crucial that you do all work in Safe
Mode with updated tools.

First delete all Temporary and Temporary Internet Files. For IE's
Temporary Files, go to Control Panel>Internet Options>General tab.
You'll see where you can delete cookies and files. For Firefox, clear
its cache by going to Tools>Options>Privacy>Cache> Clear. For Windows
Temporary files, Start>Run cleanmgr [enter]. Then follow these detailed
malware removal steps, doing everything with updated tools in Safe
Mode. You can find all the links to referenced programs and sites on
my website here:

1) Scan in Safe Mode with current version (not earlier than 2004)
antivirus using updated definitions.

Before you remove malware, get LSPFix or WinSockFix for XP - see links
below.

2) Remove spyware with Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-aware. These
programs are free, so use them both since they complement each other.
There is a new version of CWShredder from Intermute. I would not
install the other Intermute programs, however. Alternately, there are
CoolWebSearch malware removal steps at SilentRunners.

Be sure to update these programs before running, and it is a good idea
to do virus/spyware scans in Safe Mode. Make sure you are able to see
all hidden files and extensions (View tab in Folder Options).

If the malware remains even after you used Ad-aware and Spybot, you can
scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See the links on my
website for a HijackThis tutorial and places where you can post your
HJT log. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get help
with it.

3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
(Run>cleanmgr).

4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

5) Run a firewall.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Instead of svchost, my CPU goes into 100% whenever the screensaver is runed (
not in test mode from the display.cpl) I checked the task manager and a
program called cidaemon.exe is occuping most of the CPU. I thought the
system idle process should occupy most of the CPU when there is a
screensaver? Is this Cidaemon program some kind of hacker or something? How
would prevent it occupy so much of my CPU?
--
I reject to reality and substitute my own.

"Jason" wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have a P4 runnig XP Pro, my question is, sometimes my computer seems a bit
> slow. So I checked my Task bar and that showed me that my cpu usage was to
> its limit (100%)
>
> I found out by seaching some sites, the problem relates to "svchost" but
> no-one had witten How to get rid of it
>
> Can Someone Please help me solve this problem?

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Drixoman wrote:

> Instead of svchost, my CPU goes into 100% whenever the screensaver is runed (
> not in test mode from the display.cpl) I checked the task manager and a
> program called cidaemon.exe is occuping most of the CPU. I thought the
> system idle process should occupy most of the CPU when there is a
> screensaver? Is this Cidaemon program some kind of hacker or something? How
> would prevent it occupy so much of my CPU?

Not hijack another thread. Post a new one of your own. That said
cidaemon is the indexing service. No need to have it running. Turn it
off in Start | Run | Services.msc | Ok. Scroll to indexing service,
double click and set it to disabled.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

Thanks for that advice Malke

For a couple of days now I've been running Task Manager (In the background)
to see what the comp is doing. Now it says that MSN Messenger is using 97%,
so I uninstalled it then re-installed it. But this problem remains

My Question is would it be possible to alter the cpu requirements to programs?

"Malke" wrote:

> [...]
> scan with HijackThis. HijackThis is an excellent tool to discover and
> disable hijackers, but it requires expert skill. See the links on my
> website for a HijackThis tutorial and places where you can post your
> HJT log. Again, this is an expert tool and novices should get help
> with it.
>
> 3) If you are running Windows ME or XP, you should disable/enable System
> Restore after the system is clean because malware will be in the
> Restore Points. With ME, you must disable System Restore completely.
> With XP, you can delete all but the most recent (presumably clean)
> System Restore point from the More Options section of Disk Cleanup
> (Run>cleanmgr).
>
> 4) Make sure you've visited Windows Update and applied all security
> patches. Do not install driver updates from Windows Update.

Malke

Jason wrote:

> Thanks for that advice Malke
>
> For a couple of days now I've been running Task Manager (In the
> background) to see what the comp is doing. Now it says that MSN
> Messenger is using 97%, so I uninstalled it then re-installed it. But
> this problem remains
>
> My Question is would it be possible to alter the cpu requirements to
> programs?

And what were the results of your scans for viruses and malware?

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Jason

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2003

The results were clear (no spyware)

I was thinking of starting at square one (Re-Install) but I can't do that
untill Nov (Too Bloody Busy)

By the way mate, what is the top firewall/virus checker to use. at the
moment Im using "System Mechanic with Panda Antivirus" because it was working
great for 3 months and now it's doing half of its job. I use to have
"Norton's", I would NEVER use it Again

"Malke" wrote:

> Jason wrote:
>
> > Thanks for that advice Malke
> >
> > For a couple of days now I've been running Task Manager (In the
> > background) to see what the comp is doing. Now it says that MSN
> > Messenger is using 97%, so I uninstalled it then re-installed it. But
> > this problem remains
> >
> > My Question is would it be possible to alter the cpu requirements to
> > programs?
> >
> And what were the results of your scans for viruses and malware?
>
> Malke
> --
> Elephant Boy Computers
> www.elephantboycomputers.com
> "Don't Panic!"
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Malke

Jason wrote:

> The results were clear (no spyware)
>
> I was thinking of starting at square one (Re-Install) but I can't do
> that untill Nov (Too Bloody Busy)
>
> By the way mate, what is the top firewall/virus checker to use. at the
> moment Im using "System Mechanic with Panda Antivirus" because it was
> working great for 3 months and now it's doing half of its job. I use
> to have "Norton's", I would NEVER use it Again

Try some clean-boot troubleshooting:

Clean Boot - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=310353
and How to Troubleshoot By Using the Msconfig Utility in Windows XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

I don't know what the top firewall/virus checker is. That's a question
that will get you lots of answers about personal preferences. Most
techs will agree on not using Norton and McAfee though (me, too). I use
F-Prot on my Windows machines with the Sygate personal firewall. There
are lots of other choices, though.

Malke