How do you organize your messages?

Last response: in Video Games
June 9, 2005 6:47:07 AM

Hi... I've started a new game, and despite Italy's total silence, I
still have a LOT of communication that is hard to sort.

Especially with GMail, and the fact that all the mail comes from the
server, it is quite hard to keep everything sorted out. In gmail which
colapses the quoted text it is hard to keep bearings.

I've centralized it by copying all the info into a 'draft' message, but
now it's all just in one long string of messages.

How do you guys organize your messages? Answer especially so if you use
1) Gmail, and 2) not on the same machine everytime (that's why my draft
is good because it's on the net).

I am quite afraid that I accidentally miss a comment.

-Calvyn

More about : organize messages

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 9:43:14 AM

Yes, I dunno if this is gmail specific, but it seems that my subjects
are kept to my original subject for the 'conversation'.

So what about sending messages to several people? (me being R)

Press from R to GA

Because obviously MY press is just as important to check up on as his.

Messages received by several people should also get some kind of mark.
June 9, 2005 12:10:05 PM

"Calvyn" <rlaurie@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi... I've started a new game, and despite Italy's total silence, I
> still have a LOT of communication that is hard to sort.
>
> Especially with GMail, and the fact that all the mail comes from the
> server, it is quite hard to keep everything sorted out. In gmail which
> colapses the quoted text it is hard to keep bearings.
>
> I've centralized it by copying all the info into a 'draft' message, but
> now it's all just in one long string of messages.
>
> How do you guys organize your messages? Answer especially so if you use
> 1) Gmail, and 2) not on the same machine everytime (that's why my draft
> is good because it's on the net).
>
> I am quite afraid that I accidentally miss a comment.
>
> -Calvyn

I can't answer your question about gmail, since I don't use it.
However, I have found that Outlook Express is great for sorting messages.
It's possible to setup message rules that look for certain words in the
subject, and then have the program place the e-mail into a specified folder.
`````
ie: Subject: USAL:game1 - S1901M Press from R to A

And then in messages you just make a rule that looks like:

Apply this rule after the message arrives
Where the Subject line contains 'USAL' and 'Press from R'
Move it to the 'foldername' folder.
``````
So just create a seperate folder for each game and a subfolder inside for
each power, and then you can direct messages whereever you want.
June 9, 2005 12:17:16 PM

I'm not sure exactly what the difficulty is with using gmail; I would
think the 'conversation' structure would make it extraordinarily easy
to organize. (I have a gmail account, but haven't gotten into a PBEM
game since getting it.) If you need to see quoted text, you can always
expand it. The label feature should make it easy to organize--rather
than sticking everything in a game folder, you can have one label for
the game and one label for each player (for example).

But there may be some obstacle I'm missing. Can you give a little more
detail on what problems you've encountered?
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 1:05:44 PM

Steven wrote:
> I can't answer your question about gmail, since I don't use it.
> However, I have found that Outlook Express is great for sorting messages.
> It's possible to setup message rules that look for certain words in the
> subject, and then have the program place the e-mail into a specified folder.
> `````
> ie: Subject: USAL:game1 - S1901M Press from R to A
>
> And then in messages you just make a rule that looks like:
>
> Apply this rule after the message arrives
> Where the Subject line contains 'USAL' and 'Press from R'
> Move it to the 'foldername' folder.
> ``````
> So just create a seperate folder for each game and a subfolder inside for
> each power, and then you can direct messages whereever you want.

This is actually an area in which gmail is greatly superior to Outlook.
In gmail, rather than folders, you have 'labels' you can apply to
'conversations'. You can apply more than one label to any message
(whereas with folders, it either goes in one or the other). In a
Diplomacy context, you would probably want to create one label for the
game, one for each player, and one for the GM, and apply them to all
correspondence as appropriate.

Here's how it might work: say you're England, and you have an exchange
of messages with Germany and France together. You might apply three
labels to this exchange: game name, '[game name] Germany' (or the
player's name), and '[game name] France'. These labels are listed at
the left side of your screen. If you click on the label '[game name]
France', it brings up all of your correspondence with that player
(including your messages as well as his), including the correspondence
that went to Germany as well. Same thing if you click on '[game name]
Germany'.

In theory, you can break it down in any number of different ways (for
example, create a label for each season, so you can call up all of the
press for any given season) without ever being *committed* to a single
method of organization.

Disclaimer: I don't work for Google and do not expect to receive any
remuneration of any kind from them. I just think gmail is really cool.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 4:50:51 PM

Ok I get it...

I used one label ... Diplomacy. And well, obviously this wasn't good
enough. But I'll create different labels for the different powers.

Thanks.

I was getting somewhat frustrated, especially since a lot of my
messages are verbosed back to me, making browsing through the messages
slow and cumbersome.

-Calvyn
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 5:49:12 PM

Glad to help.

I'm actually tempted to get into a PBEM game (taking a break these
days) just to test out gmail.
June 13, 2005 5:20:01 PM

Steven wrote:
> "Calvyn" <rlaurie@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi... I've started a new game, and despite Italy's total silence, I
>>still have a LOT of communication that is hard to sort.
>>
>>Especially with GMail, and the fact that all the mail comes from the
>>server, it is quite hard to keep everything sorted out. In gmail which
>>colapses the quoted text it is hard to keep bearings.
>>
>>I've centralized it by copying all the info into a 'draft' message, but
>>now it's all just in one long string of messages.
>>
>>How do you guys organize your messages? Answer especially so if you use
>>1) Gmail, and 2) not on the same machine everytime (that's why my draft
>>is good because it's on the net).
>>
>>I am quite afraid that I accidentally miss a comment.
>>
>>-Calvyn
>>

> I can't answer your question about gmail, since I don't use it.
> However, I have found that Outlook Express is great for sorting messages.
> It's possible to setup message rules that look for certain words in the
> subject, and then have the program place the e-mail into a specified folder.
> `````
> ie: Subject: USAL:game1 - S1901M Press from R to A
>
> And then in messages you just make a rule that looks like:
>
> Apply this rule after the message arrives
> Where the Subject line contains 'USAL' and 'Press from R'
> Move it to the 'foldername' folder.
> ``````
> So just create a seperate folder for each game and a subfolder inside for
> each power, and then you can direct messages whereever you want.

And for being on different machines all the time. Find an IMAP mail
service.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 5:26:15 AM

The problem with Gmail and the labels are that hitting 'reply' is not
such a good idea, as this automatically apply the labels that are
applied to the current message, are applied to your reply as well.

Lets say you are england, and are awaiting russia's response before you
tell germany what you think of his proposal.

You receive russia's response, and hit reply, then send a post to
germany about the situation. Then the new email concerning germany has
Russia's label on it.

But I assume getting into the habit of using compose mail is better.

This is the first time I've experienced that Gmail is making things
harder than it would be in outlook or 'conventional' email systems. As
a rule I am also a great fan of Gmail (where the IMAP thing is not a
problem).

-Reenen
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 12:34:16 PM

Calvyn wrote:
> The problem with Gmail and the labels are that hitting 'reply' is not
> such a good idea, as this automatically apply the labels that are
> applied to the current message, are applied to your reply as well.
>
> Lets say you are england, and are awaiting russia's response before you
> tell germany what you think of his proposal.
>
> You receive russia's response, and hit reply, then send a post to
> germany about the situation. Then the new email concerning germany has
> Russia's label on it.

Is this a case in which Germany made a proposal to both Russia and
England, so that's the originating e-mail in the conversation? If so,
then I would think you'd want both Russia and Germany labels on the
exchange.

Or are you forwarding Russia's response to an e-mail of yours, to
Germany? In that case, I could see the Russia label being a problem.
The solution there would be to copy & paste into a brand new e-mail.

> But I assume getting into the habit of using compose mail is better.

It depends. I find it very convenient to have a multiple-message
exchange with someone all in one place. On the other hand, as you
suggest, it can get messy if you're talking to multiple people in the
same conversation.
Anonymous
June 14, 2005 9:56:53 PM

Personally, I use Gmail and dont use the labels in this way at all. I
usually make a label for the game where I store stuff from the GM, but for
player messages I just leave them unlabeled and search later on if I need to
leave the note in my inbox or star it so I know I have to get back to it at
some point, otherwise, or when I respond, it gets archived.

Basically, just do whatever makes sense and works for you... gmail is very
nice for organizing, sorting, and searching for messages, but no system will
work for everyone.

-Adam

"Tehipite Tom" <TVHilton@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Calvyn wrote:
>> The problem with Gmail and the labels are that hitting 'reply' is not
>> such a good idea, as this automatically apply the labels that are
>> applied to the current message, are applied to your reply as well.
>>
>> Lets say you are england, and are awaiting russia's response before you
>> tell germany what you think of his proposal.
>>
>> You receive russia's response, and hit reply, then send a post to
>> germany about the situation. Then the new email concerning germany has
>> Russia's label on it.
>
> Is this a case in which Germany made a proposal to both Russia and
> England, so that's the originating e-mail in the conversation? If so,
> then I would think you'd want both Russia and Germany labels on the
> exchange.
>
> Or are you forwarding Russia's response to an e-mail of yours, to
> Germany? In that case, I could see the Russia label being a problem.
> The solution there would be to copy & paste into a brand new e-mail.
>

>> But I assume getting into the habit of using compose mail is better.
>
> It depends. I find it very convenient to have a multiple-message
> exchange with someone all in one place. On the other hand, as you
> suggest, it can get messy if you're talking to multiple people in the
> same conversation.

Anonymous
June 29, 2005 2:12:55 PM

Hi all,

I actually use Gmail. I define a filter to assign a label for every new
game. But the best way I found to organize the press of all my games
is Diptool (www.hagenah.de/diptool/ ): it's a great interface combining
press-map-orders at a glance. Unfortunately, you need a directory in a
single machine to store all the messages and movements and parse then
to add the information to the interface tree.

I use to star my mail in Gmail after I get it with Diptool. While the
messages are still unstarred, I know I have not imported them. And
finally, I'm doing this manually because I can't reach the Gmail POP3
or SMTP servers with the configuration properties for mail accounts of
Diptool (I still don't know why. I'd like to have some feedback on
this if someone of you have experienced this).

Anatoly
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 7:13:50 AM

I just tried diptool. It is very good! I think I may have ignored it
before due to the steep learning curve but now I see how it has
everything. (((It would be nice if I had a dedicated POP3 account or an
IMAP server with functioning filters)))

.... and now for some most undiplomatic trolling...

diptool (and a judge) is superior to:
mapper at floc.net (very good - pity about no retreat visualisation)
realpolitik (very good - pity no convoy paths (Tun-ION-WMS-Syr))
jdip (pretty good)
dpjudge (very good)
dipbounced (very good - pity you have to use notepad to write your
orders)
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 2:42:56 PM

Jono4174H wrote:

<snip>

> dipbounced (very good - pity you have to use notepad to write your
> orders)

Why do use a separate editor to write orders on dipbounced?

--
Any time you get members of a government preaching out -against
government-, it's a sure bet they're looking to replace it with whatever

On dipbounced, you cannot write your orders while looking at the map,
they are different displays.

I just checked, I guess I should have used "open in a different window"
and have two windows open. Ooops.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 7:38:27 AM

Jono4174H wrote:

> On dipbounced, you cannot write your orders while looking at the map,
> they are different displays.
>
> I just checked, I guess I should have used "open in a different window"
> and have two windows open. Ooops.

Another option is to use set the layout to "4-pane display" in Interface
Preferences. Then you have the annoyance of all the frames being not
quite large enough (at least at my laptop's resolution), but you don't
need multiple windows.

--
!