Its not sasser worm but still computer restarts

June 24, 2005 10:31:05 AM

I am using windows XP with service pack 2 installed. From last 2 weeks it
restarts everyday 10-20 times. I am soooooo tired of it. This problem usually
appears when i start my computer right after welcome note when i see the
desktop, sometimes it happens after 2-3 minutes. It seems that its even a bit
slow. Sometimes when it restarts automatically and i boot again i can see the
message saying something like a problem in protocol. I am sure its not the
sasser worm. I already checked for malicious viruses from microsoft site. I
also check my computer regularly using norton anti virus which is always
enabled. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 12:06:15 PM

Manoo wrote:

> I am using windows XP with service pack 2 installed. From last 2 weeks it
> restarts everyday 10-20 times. I am soooooo tired of it. This problem usually
> appears when i start my computer right after welcome note when i see the
> desktop, sometimes it happens after 2-3 minutes. It seems that its even a bit
> slow. Sometimes when it restarts automatically and i boot again i can see the
> message saying something like a problem in protocol. I am sure its not the
> sasser worm. I already checked for malicious viruses from microsoft site. I
> also check my computer regularly using norton anti virus which is always
> enabled. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery,
uncheck Automatically Restart.

Next time the system crashes you should get a blus screen with error
message. Write it down and post that in it's entirety.

Steve
Anonymous
June 24, 2005 12:15:02 PM

Restarts also occur because of hardware failure or overheating. If
virusscan, spyware scans, and malware scans don't return anything, try
checking to see if your system could be overheating...usually caused by
excessive dust in the CPU heatsink, or a slugish fan.

I would recommend also starting in safe mode...(hit F8 during startup) if it
doesnt' restart here, this could mean it's a 'software' related problem.

Jason Ryon

"Steve N." wrote:

> Manoo wrote:
>
> > I am using windows XP with service pack 2 installed. From last 2 weeks it
> > restarts everyday 10-20 times. I am soooooo tired of it. This problem usually
> > appears when i start my computer right after welcome note when i see the
> > desktop, sometimes it happens after 2-3 minutes. It seems that its even a bit
> > slow. Sometimes when it restarts automatically and i boot again i can see the
> > message saying something like a problem in protocol. I am sure its not the
> > sasser worm. I already checked for malicious viruses from microsoft site. I
> > also check my computer regularly using norton anti virus which is always
> > enabled. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!
>
> Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Startup and Recovery,
> uncheck Automatically Restart.
>
> Next time the system crashes you should get a blus screen with error
> message. Write it down and post that in it's entirety.
>
> Steve

Anonymous
June 24, 2005 1:53:46 PM

"Manoo" <Manoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:D 88EBA0C-A796-4797-ABB3-DE8DA1ECB145@microsoft.com...
>I am using windows XP with service pack 2 installed. From last 2 weeks it
> restarts everyday 10-20 times. I am soooooo tired of it. This problem
> usually
> appears when i start my computer right after welcome note when i see the
> desktop, sometimes it happens after 2-3 minutes. It seems that its even a
> bit
> slow. Sometimes when it restarts automatically and i boot again i can see
> the
> message saying something like a problem in protocol. I am sure its not the
> sasser worm. I already checked for malicious viruses from microsoft site.
> also check my computer regularly using norton anti virus which is always
> enabled. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

Scan for viruses, spyware and trojans - lots of free tools available for
this online.