Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PMP Face-Off:Sandisk Sansa e250 vs. Samsung Z5Q

Last response: in Tom's Guide
July 20, 2006 6:45:30 PM

All in all, it was a decent article, but seriously, SQ tests shouldnt be done with stock earbuds. I'd be interested to know what the SQ is like when using a decent pair of headphones. (ie Senn px100 or above)
July 22, 2006 9:10:02 AM

According to the specs in the review, the Z5Q does not support OGG but some other websites argue it does. So what is the truth? This is an important fact for people like me who have most of their music collection in OGG format.
July 24, 2006 5:34:37 AM

I'd love to know the relevance of the form of a device that's going to be sitting in your pocket 95% of the time (unless you're one of those tools who wears it on their arm).
July 24, 2006 9:04:05 AM

I daresay it does matter - for example, if you're an active user then a heavier, larger iPod or Zen could fly out of a pocket where a lighter, smaller player will stay put, or can be carried whilst you move. For some it doesn't matter at all, for others it makes all the difference in the world.
July 24, 2006 1:24:32 PM

Slaughter said:
Quote:
Nice write up, but you are way off on the e200's sound quality. Now I know sound is subjective, but to say it is tinny and constrained was rather harsh. I owned both for a few weeks before choosing the e200. Myself and others who have tested have all agreed that the only difference in sound was on the low end and it was slight. Also, if you use SpectraLab or TrueRTA you will see the e200 and Z5 are pretty flat across the spectrum with e200 having -3dB on the low end. I just thought you were unfair in sound quality department.
July 24, 2006 7:00:12 PM

What no iPod Nano? I don't think you can just pick 2 Flash players like that without reference to the largest seller in the field. The review should have atleast a reference to the flash player review you did not just 2 months ago.
August 29, 2006 8:39:57 PM

In addition to Slaughter's quoted comments, there was a THG review on August 21 (http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/08/21/sandisk_gambles_more_flash_will_distinguish_e280) states that
Quote:
Some reviewers have said it's also easier to learn to use than the iPod; and opinions of the e200s' sound quality appear to be very positive all around.

I am looking to get something soon, and my choice seems to be between the Sansa and something from Creative - the MicroPhoto to get 8GB, or the unavailable-in-this-country Zeeon for 6GB at the same mass as the Sansa. Creative is known for top-flight sound. So, do I drop the Sansa on sound quality or not?
I know, "go and listen to them," but I'd be interested to know if you re-evaluated based on Slaughter's suggetion, or if anyone else had done the evaluation.
August 30, 2006 12:21:58 AM

Quote:

I am looking to get something soon, and my choice seems to be between the Sansa and something from Creative - the MicroPhoto to get 8GB, or the unavailable-in-this-country Zeeon for 6GB at the same mass as the Sansa. Creative is known for top-flight sound. So, do I drop the Sansa on sound quality or not?
I know, "go and listen to them," but I'd be interested to know if you re-evaluated based on Slaughter's suggetion, or if anyone else had done the evaluation.

What bitrate and codec are you looking at using?

By the way, the Creative software (MediaSource) kicks arse, especially if you have a decent soundcard, becuase you can use it to record stuff from basically any source; that's how I got the Rige Racer Type 4 soundtrack onto my ZEN :D 
August 30, 2006 1:27:49 PM

Quote:

What bitrate and codec are you looking at using?

Err, I rip to harddrive with FLAC. For a space-limited portable, I'll recode to MP3 with LAME at 128 kbps. Wazzat got to do with the sound quality qn - maybe it's irrelevant below a certain quality of compression?
September 6, 2006 12:58:47 AM

Quote:
maybe it's irrelevant below a certain quality of compression?

I'd say it's irrelevant; your purchasing decision would be better based on factors other than SQ if you're going to use MP3 128kbps.
September 19, 2010 3:30:30 PM

This topic has been closed by Reynod
!