is svchost.exe a virus?

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Hi, in my Task Manager Prosecces, I see running 5 times this svchost.exe
file running, 2 as a Network Service, 3 as System, one of them is 8.652k big.
I experience slow shutdown, could this repeated file on my Task Manager be
the problem?, could it be a virus?.
Please I need your help.
Thanks.
--
Jfern

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

Can I deleted the ones repeated?

--
Jfern

"Jack" wrote:

> Hi, in my Task Manager Prosecces, I see running 5 times this svchost.exe
> file running, 2 as a Network Service, 3 as System, one of them is 8.652k big.
> I experience slow shutdown, could this repeated file on my Task Manager be
> the problem?, could it be a virus?.
> Please I need your help.
> Thanks.
> --
> Jfern

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

I forgot to tell you, I use Win XP home, cable modem,
If not this file what could cause the slow shutdown, specialy when it is on
Windows is shutting down. What could it be?
--
Jfern

Jack wrote:
> Can I deleted the ones repeated?

Sure, if you want to see that good ol' NT AUTHORITY shutdown in 60
seconds message.

Something else is slowing down your PC. What proccess is consuming CPU time?

Steve

SVCHost is a container service, which loads and runs a collection
of small services together. You can view the components that run
from SVCHost by opening a Command Prompt Window and type
Tasklist /SVC
Normally, an XP install will have 4-5 instances of SVCHost running.

Jack wrote:
> Hi, in my Task Manager Prosecces, I see running 5 times this svchost.exe
> file running, 2 as a Network Service, 3 as System, one of them is 8.652k big.
> I experience slow shutdown, could this repeated file on my Task Manager be
> the problem?, could it be a virus?.
> Please I need your help.
> Thanks.

Svchost.exe is not a virus. It is the process that a number of services,
many built in OS services, run under. If you are running XP Pro, you can
open a command prompt window and type the following command:

tasklist /svc

This will output a list of all running processes and include the services
that are running under the various svchost processes.

That being said, there are some viruses that include an infected version of
svchost.exe so you do want to be aware of that. Here are some articles that
may be of interest:

A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056

Virus alert about the Nachi worm
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826234
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Jack

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2003

System Idle Proccess, is consuming 97 cpu, every thing else is cero.
--
Jfern

Jack wrote:
> Can I deleted the ones repeated?

No, as stated different services run under different instances of
svchost.exe, depending on the needs of the service.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Jack wrote:
> I forgot to tell you, I use Win XP home, cable modem,
> If not this file what could cause the slow shutdown, specialy when it is on
> Windows is shutting down. What could it be?

Do you have SP2 installed? If not, see this article for a possible cause:

FIX: The shutdown procedure takes a long time to complete
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822738

Whether SP2 is installed or not the following article may be of interest:

Troubleshooting profile unload issues
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=837115
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

Jack wrote:

> System Idle Proccess, is consuming 97 cpu, every thing else is cero.

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

Troubleshooting profile unload issues
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=837115

To download and install UPHClean, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582

http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

--
Rock