is svchost.exe a virus?

Hi, in my Task Manager Prosecces, I see running 5 times this svchost.exe
file running, 2 as a Network Service, 3 as System, one of them is 8.652k big.
I experience slow shutdown, could this repeated file on my Task Manager be
the problem?, could it be a virus?.
Please I need your help.
Thanks.
--
Jfern
10 answers Last reply

    Can I deleted the ones repeated?

    --
    Jfern

    "Jack" wrote:

    > Hi, in my Task Manager Prosecces, I see running 5 times this svchost.exe
    > file running, 2 as a Network Service, 3 as System, one of them is 8.652k big.
    > I experience slow shutdown, could this repeated file on my Task Manager be
    > the problem?, could it be a virus?.
    > Please I need your help.
    > Thanks.
    > --
    > Jfern

    I forgot to tell you, I use Win XP home, cable modem,
    If not this file what could cause the slow shutdown, specialy when it is on
    Windows is shutting down. What could it be?
    --
    Jfern

    Jack wrote:
    > Can I deleted the ones repeated?

    Sure, if you want to see that good ol' NT AUTHORITY shutdown in 60
    seconds message.

    Something else is slowing down your PC. What proccess is consuming CPU time?

    Steve

    SVCHost is a container service, which loads and runs a collection
    of small services together. You can view the components that run
    from SVCHost by opening a Command Prompt Window and type
    Tasklist /SVC
    Normally, an XP install will have 4-5 instances of SVCHost running.

    Jack wrote:
    > Hi, in my Task Manager Prosecces, I see running 5 times this svchost.exe
    > file running, 2 as a Network Service, 3 as System, one of them is 8.652k big.
    > I experience slow shutdown, could this repeated file on my Task Manager be
    > the problem?, could it be a virus?.
    > Please I need your help.
    > Thanks.

    Svchost.exe is not a virus. It is the process that a number of services,
    many built in OS services, run under. If you are running XP Pro, you can
    open a command prompt window and type the following command:

    tasklist /svc

    This will output a list of all running processes and include the services
    that are running under the various svchost processes.

    That being said, there are some viruses that include an infected version of
    svchost.exe so you do want to be aware of that. Here are some articles that
    may be of interest:

    A description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056

    Virus alert about the Nachi worm
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826234
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    System Idle Proccess, is consuming 97 cpu, every thing else is cero.
    --
    Jfern

    Jack wrote:
    > Can I deleted the ones repeated?

    No, as stated different services run under different instances of
    svchost.exe, depending on the needs of the service.
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    Jack wrote:
    > I forgot to tell you, I use Win XP home, cable modem,
    > If not this file what could cause the slow shutdown, specialy when it is on
    > Windows is shutting down. What could it be?

    Do you have SP2 installed? If not, see this article for a possible cause:

    FIX: The shutdown procedure takes a long time to complete
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822738

    Whether SP2 is installed or not the following article may be of interest:

    Troubleshooting profile unload issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=837115
    --
    Tom Porterfield
    MS-MVP Windows

    Jack wrote:

    > System Idle Proccess, is consuming 97 cpu, every thing else is cero.

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=310560

    How to perform advanced clean-boot troubleshooting in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=316434

    Troubleshooting profile unload issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=837115

    To download and install UPHClean, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=1B286E6D-8912-4E18-B570-42470E2F3582

    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Virus Svchost.Exe Task Manager Windows XP