USB not recognizing new hardware + mouse inactive

kskerns

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Good afternoon folks!

Very recently my wireless USB mouse has stopped working on my Windows 7 (Dell Studio XPS1640) laptop.
>Unplugging and plugging it back in does not work, but restarting does, until it mysteriously conks out again
>Mouse does work on other computers in the home
>No other usb devices are recognized by the PC (leading me to think it has nothing to do with the mouse and everything to do with USB controller suddenly deciding it doesn't like hardware)
>USB slots on computer still have power, I can run my notebook cooler through the USB with no issues.

Unsure if formatting helped. Windows had a lot of clutter and some weird quirks, so I formatted this morning. No troubles with reinstall, everything should be fully updated now, thought my problems were over but the mouse just conked again.

DEVICE MANAGER
Device manager, when the problem happens, flags two areas under USB controllers:
Intel ICH9 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2934
Intel ICH9 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 293A
>Both of them give the error "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)"
>Windows thinks these drivers are up to date (date 06/21/2006)

EVENT VIEWER
Nothing jumps out at me. All the errors I see are network related.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Ken K

kskerns

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Microsoft Fix-It Readout, since this utility was the first recommended fix for the stated issue. Alas!
g6Wkp.png

kskerns

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Maybe-update:

After more time and tinkering, it seems as though moving the laptop can cause the problem, leading me to believe it's some sort of loose usb port hardware issue causing the USB controller to stop.

Would this be inconsistent with reboot-and-it-works-again behavior?
I have had the laptop open to replace the keyboard, but can anything typically be done about fussy ports?

Thanks,
KK