Diplomatic poetry

I'm very impressed with the sonnet included in the current Diplomatic Pouch
e-zine article (http://www.diplom.org/Zine/S2005M/Vonpowell/EOG.html) on the
Monte Carlo 1900 demo game. I hope I'm at liberty to reproduce it here
without offending either author or editors:

The View from St. Petersburg
by Charles Roburn

The Kaiser, Archduke, Sultan, King:
These four are my good neighbors dear,
Encircling Russia in a ring
That fills my heart with dread and fear.

Monsieur and Pontiff, I will bet,
Are safe. They can't invade me.yet.
And since we have no common borders
I need not fear their armies' orders.

But from the rest I must find friends,
For if I don't, they'll overwhelm
My poor defenseless Russian realm,
And then my dream of empire ends.

I must make choices. Which are wiser?
The Sultan, Archduke, King, or Kaiser?

A while back I came across some song lyrics broadcast by Mary Kuhner in one
of her games. But I'd be intrigued to find out how much original poetry has
been produced by Dippers (and whether much of it matches Mr Roburn's effort
for quality), and where I might find it.

Thanks for any pointers,
Andy

I have done some. both as in-game press, and as part of an EOG.

I have also quoted poets.

"Andy Tomlinson" <andy.tomlinson@removethis.zg.htnet.hr> wrote in message
> I'm very impressed with the sonnet included in the current Diplomatic
Pouch
> e-zine article (http://www.diplom.org/Zine/S2005M/Vonpowell/EOG.html) on
the
> Monte Carlo 1900 demo game. I hope I'm at liberty to reproduce it here
> without offending either author or editors:
>
> The View from St. Petersburg
> by Charles Roburn
>
> The Kaiser, Archduke, Sultan, King:
> These four are my good neighbors dear,
> Encircling Russia in a ring
> That fills my heart with dread and fear.
>
> Monsieur and Pontiff, I will bet,
> Are safe. They can't invade me.yet.
> And since we have no common borders
> I need not fear their armies' orders.
>
> But from the rest I must find friends,
> For if I don't, they'll overwhelm
> My poor defenseless Russian realm,
> And then my dream of empire ends.
>
> I must make choices. Which are wiser?
> The Sultan, Archduke, King, or Kaiser?
>
> A while back I came across some song lyrics broadcast by Mary Kuhner in
one
> of her games. But I'd be intrigued to find out how much original poetry
has
> been produced by Dippers (and whether much of it matches Mr Roburn's
effort
> for quality), and where I might find it.
>
> Thanks for any pointers,
> Andy

During the first Diplomacy World tournament, I wrote limericks about
each of the teams (and in all modesty, I think they were pretty good).
They were lost when the club was deleted.

"Andy Tomlinson" <andy.tomlinson@removethis.zg.htnet.hr> writes:

Andy, one comparative issue between the present day hobby and the
past hobby (talking about roughly 1965-1985) was that this earlier
hobby had much greater orientation toward "literary add-ons" and
poetry as only one type of that.

Of course, very little of this is on the Internet, if you lived
near Bowling Green University, you would find their Popular Culture
Library has some excellent archives of that period of the hobby
and you or someone would do the hobby a great service to pull some
of that out for the present day hobby to see. I have a lot of it
in my attic as well, but I guarantee you that you don't want to
try to rummage through that!

But good to promote....
Jim-Bob