Anti-Anti-Virus Software

Me and my friend were trying to set up our laptop so that it could play
some mpeg file I made to memorialize someone. It had Windows Media
Player, so all was fine, and there were some issues regarding setting
it up to play in a digital projector. But every 20 seconds, an urgent
reminder kept appearing about how I need to update my Norton Antivirus
file. Every 20 seconds! Because of that, there was a chance that would
appear every 20 seconds during the presentation, so me and my friend
uninstalled the Norton Antivirus software. After all, my friend did not
purchase this or even download it for free- it came with the Compaq.
The only way to eliminate this problem is to get rid of the software.
Mo did not care, after all, he has never had a virus in his life. The
extent of his computer issues relate to spyware, spam, pop-ups, and an
undefragmented hard drive. Who the hell has ever had a virus anyway?
Anyone?

These evil companies like Norton and McAfee are far, far worse as
infectant programs and as time-wasting pieces of memory than I can
imagine any virus to be. Shame on them! They are far worse than any
virus that the media dreams up and invents.

Don't you people understand? The whole virus phenomenon is a sham, is a
way to get you to spend money on anti-virus software, which runs every
18 seconds reminding you to download new anti-virus software because
even though you did not get a virus the last 47,820 times, you might
get one now.

-Jonathan Wolfson
41 answers Last reply
More about anti anti virus software

    "Jonathan Wolfson" <jon3825@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Me and my friend were trying to set up our laptop so that it could play
    > some mpeg file I made to memorialize someone. It had Windows Media
    > Player, so all was fine, and there were some issues regarding setting
    > it up to play in a digital projector. But every 20 seconds, an urgent
    > reminder kept appearing about how I need to update my Norton Antivirus
    > file. Every 20 seconds! Because of that, there was a chance that would
    > appear every 20 seconds during the presentation, so me and my friend
    > uninstalled the Norton Antivirus software. After all, my friend did not
    > purchase this or even download it for free- it came with the Compaq.
    > The only way to eliminate this problem is to get rid of the software.
    > Mo did not care, after all, he has never had a virus in his life. The
    > extent of his computer issues relate to spyware, spam, pop-ups, and an
    > undefragmented hard drive. Who the hell has ever had a virus anyway?
    > Anyone?
    >
    > These evil companies like Norton and McAfee are far, far worse as
    > infectant programs and as time-wasting pieces of memory than I can
    > imagine any virus to be. Shame on them! They are far worse than any
    > virus that the media dreams up and invents.
    >
    > Don't you people understand? The whole virus phenomenon is a sham, is a
    > way to get you to spend money on anti-virus software, which runs every
    > 18 seconds reminding you to download new anti-virus software because
    > even though you did not get a virus the last 47,820 times, you might
    > get one now.
    >
    > -Jonathan Wolfson

    Nice troll, should hook a few.

    Kerry

    How come that has never happened to me? I do not run AV software. Also,
    I am not a corporation. So why do AV programs get pre-installed on user
    systems? And can't computer makes make them a lot less intrusive and
    much more in the background? By default they should be way in the
    background, not in the forefront. Another thing is the loud noises the
    software makes when demanding an update. To fix this problem for my
    aunt who was complaining, I simply uninstalled her two antivirus
    programs on her new PC. She will not be infected, I bet.

    In news:1119623872.766594.324600@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
    Jonathan Wolfson <jon3825@gmail.com> typed:

    > Who the
    > hell has ever had a virus anyway? Anyone?

    Thousands and thousands of people.

    > These evil companies like Norton and McAfee are far, far worse
    > as
    > infectant programs and as time-wasting pieces of memory than I
    > can
    > imagine any virus to be. Shame on them! They are far worse than
    > any
    > virus that the media dreams up and invents.
    >
    > Don't you people understand? The whole virus phenomenon is a
    > sham, is
    > a way to get you to spend money on anti-virus software, which
    > runs
    > every 18 seconds reminding you to download new anti-virus
    > software
    > because even though you did not get a virus the last 47,820
    > times,
    > you might get one now.

    Nonsense. I've never been infected with a virus, but my antivirus
    software has stopped viruses here more than once. I personally
    know many people who have been infected.

    If you want to be foolhardy enough to run without anti-virus
    software, that's your choice. But don't advice others to follow
    your foolish ways.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    Jonathan Wolfson wrote:
    > How come that has never happened to me? I do not run AV software. Also,
    > I am not a corporation. So why do AV programs get pre-installed on user
    > systems? And can't computer makes make them a lot less intrusive and
    > much more in the background? By default they should be way in the
    > background, not in the forefront. Another thing is the loud noises the
    > software makes when demanding an update. To fix this problem for my
    > aunt who was complaining, I simply uninstalled her two antivirus
    > programs on her new PC. She will not be infected, I bet.

    Viruses are tricky...
    I suggest AVG Anti Virus - free (Home) edition.

    Scott wrote:
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 12:23:03 -0400, "kurttrail"
    > <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote:
    > >
    > >When the OP is done with the shotgun, take a turn yourself!
    >
    > Go piss up a rope you sanctimonious SOB.

    There's alot of love in these threads.

    Again, what about pc's that only one person uses? Intrusive AV software
    should be installed only on PC's that are going to be shared. Companies
    should sell personal PC's as well as public-used PC's as a distinct
    category, and only the latter should be equipped to a massive extent
    with AV software.

    Treeman wrote:
    > Jonathan,
    > Depends on where you go & what you download from the internet. I just
    > worked on a laptop that had 447 instances of spyware/adware & 14
    > viruses!
    > It was used at school & all her friends had access to it.
    > I used to use Norton products, but I've switched to Nod32 on all of my
    > computers. (4) http://www.nod32.com/
    > There are plenty of free anti-virus programs out there.
    > Someone will post a list for you.
    > Best,
    > Treeman
    >

    > --
    > Treeman

    > Treeman's Profile: http://www.msusenet.com/member.php?userid=1260

    Jonathan,
    Depends on where you go & what you download from the internet. I just
    worked on a laptop that had 447 instances of spyware/adware & 14
    viruses!
    It was used at school & all her friends had access to it.
    I used to use Norton products, but I've switched to Nod32 on all of my
    computers. (4) http://www.nod32.com/
    There are plenty of free anti-virus programs out there.
    Someone will post a list for you.
    Best,
    Treeman

    --
    Treeman

    If you really feel this way, please go off line now and stay off because
    soon you will be spreading viruses all over the web and being used to spam
    us. You don't want protection? Fine, that's your right, but as I said, get
    the hell off line, NOW!

    "Jonathan Wolfson" <jon3825@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Me and my friend were trying to set up our laptop so that it could play
    > some mpeg file I made to memorialize someone. It had Windows Media
    > Player, so all was fine, and there were some issues regarding setting
    > it up to play in a digital projector. But every 20 seconds, an urgent
    > reminder kept appearing about how I need to update my Norton Antivirus
    > file. Every 20 seconds! Because of that, there was a chance that would
    > appear every 20 seconds during the presentation, so me and my friend
    > uninstalled the Norton Antivirus software. After all, my friend did not
    > purchase this or even download it for free- it came with the Compaq.
    > The only way to eliminate this problem is to get rid of the software.
    > Mo did not care, after all, he has never had a virus in his life. The
    > extent of his computer issues relate to spyware, spam, pop-ups, and an
    > undefragmented hard drive. Who the hell has ever had a virus anyway?
    > Anyone?
    >
    > These evil companies like Norton and McAfee are far, far worse as
    > infectant programs and as time-wasting pieces of memory than I can
    > imagine any virus to be. Shame on them! They are far worse than any
    > virus that the media dreams up and invents.
    >
    > Don't you people understand? The whole virus phenomenon is a sham, is a
    > way to get you to spend money on anti-virus software, which runs every
    > 18 seconds reminding you to download new anti-virus software because
    > even though you did not get a virus the last 47,820 times, you might
    > get one now.
    >
    > -Jonathan Wolfson

    As long as her computer no connection with the rest of the world she
    will be just fine.

    Jonathan Wolfson wrote:

    > How come that has never happened to me? I do not run AV software. Also,
    > I am not a corporation. So why do AV programs get pre-installed on user
    > systems? And can't computer makes make them a lot less intrusive and
    > much more in the background? By default they should be way in the
    > background, not in the forefront. Another thing is the loud noises the
    > software makes when demanding an update. To fix this problem for my
    > aunt who was complaining, I simply uninstalled her two antivirus
    > programs on her new PC. She will not be infected, I bet.

    "Jonathan Wolfson" <jon3825@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Me and my friend were trying to set up our laptop so that it could play
    > some mpeg file I made to memorialize someone. It had Windows Media
    > Player, so all was fine, and there were some issues regarding setting
    > it up to play in a digital projector. But every 20 seconds, an urgent
    > reminder kept appearing about how I need to update my Norton Antivirus
    > file. Every 20 seconds! Because of that, there was a chance that would
    > appear every 20 seconds during the presentation, so me and my friend
    > uninstalled the Norton Antivirus software. After all, my friend did not
    > purchase this or even download it for free- it came with the Compaq.
    > The only way to eliminate this problem is to get rid of the software.
    > Mo did not care, after all, he has never had a virus in his life. The
    > extent of his computer issues relate to spyware, spam, pop-ups, and an
    > undefragmented hard drive. Who the hell has ever had a virus anyway?
    > Anyone?
    >
    > These evil companies like Norton and McAfee are far, far worse as
    > infectant programs and as time-wasting pieces of memory than I can
    > imagine any virus to be. Shame on them! They are far worse than any
    > virus that the media dreams up and invents.
    >
    > Don't you people understand? The whole virus phenomenon is a sham, is a
    > way to get you to spend money on anti-virus software, which runs every
    > 18 seconds reminding you to download new anti-virus software because
    > even though you did not get a virus the last 47,820 times, you might
    > get one now.
    >
    > -Jonathan Wolfson

    I want you to find a dictionary...any one will do. Okay, now I want you to
    look up the word "Idiot". Find it? How cool...it's a picture of
    you...right there in the dictionary...under the word Idiot! But wait...it
    gets better! There are other pictures of you...under Loser, Stupid,
    Ignorant,
    Dolt...well you get the picture.

    Your are a cretin.

    You do not deserve to own a computer.

    Bobby

    You may think it's a sham now, but just wait until the system gets hit
    by a virus. It's not a matter of if, it is a matter of when. In this
    day an age an antivirus program is a must. I do agree with you that
    NAV and McAfee are junk. I would never recommend either. You will find
    my suggestions here:
    Virus and Spyware removal and prevention
    http://bertk.mvps.org/html/spyware.html

    --
    Regards,
    Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

    Jonathan Wolfson wrote:
    > Me and my friend were trying to set up our laptop so that
    > it could play some mpeg file I made to memorialize
    > someone. It had Windows Media Player, so all was fine,
    > and there were some issues regarding setting it up to
    > play in a digital projector. But every 20 seconds, an
    > urgent reminder kept appearing about how I need to update
    > my Norton Antivirus file. Every 20 seconds! Because of
    > that, there was a chance that would appear every 20
    > seconds during the presentation, so me and my friend
    > uninstalled the Norton Antivirus software. After all, my
    > friend did not purchase this or even download it for
    > free- it came with the Compaq. The only way to eliminate
    > this problem is to get rid of the software. Mo did not
    > care, after all, he has never had a virus in his life.
    > The extent of his computer issues relate to spyware,
    > spam, pop-ups, and an undefragmented hard drive. Who the
    > hell has ever had a virus anyway? Anyone?
    >
    > These evil companies like Norton and McAfee are far, far
    > worse as infectant programs and as time-wasting pieces of
    > memory than I can imagine any virus to be. Shame on them!
    > They are far worse than any virus that the media dreams
    > up and invents.
    >
    > Don't you people understand? The whole virus phenomenon
    > is a sham, is a way to get you to spend money on
    > anti-virus software, which runs every 18 seconds
    > reminding you to download new anti-virus software because
    > even though you did not get a virus the last 47,820
    > times, you might get one now.
    >
    > -Jonathan Wolfson

    You get shots when you are a child to prevent a catastrophic (pardon my
    spelling) sickness that could kill you. The chances of you getting that
    virus in this day and age may be slim, however I would rather have a few
    shots than die, I'm sure most people would agree.

    A computer virus works the same way. If you leave your computer completely
    open to attack, you are just waiting for a disaster. You don't think that a
    virus can harm your system? Maybe it's easy for you, if you don't mind
    reformating your hard drive or loosing all of your data, but consider an
    accountant of a large coorporation...a virus comes in and completely wipes
    all the financial records which could cost millions to replace. Leaving
    important systems volunerable is not a wise choice.

    Additionally, a virus could deny access to important services, remove users
    from being able to logon, run your hardware to it's maximum, (often times
    shortening the life of your system). There are too many chances that I for
    one am not willing to take.

    So antivirus software isn't pleasant...but in my opion much better than the
    alternative. Most AV programs are setup to be flexible...you can select
    options to update the virus definitions when it is convienient for you.

    Jason Ryon

    Jonathan Wolfson wrote:
    > Me and my friend were trying to set up our laptop so that it could
    > play some mpeg file I made to memorialize someone. It had Windows
    > Media Player, so all was fine, and there were some issues regarding
    > setting it up to play in a digital projector. But every 20 seconds,
    > an urgent reminder kept appearing about how I need to update my
    > Norton Antivirus file. Every 20 seconds! Because of that, there was a
    > chance that would appear every 20 seconds during the presentation, so
    > me and my friend uninstalled the Norton Antivirus software. After
    > all, my friend did not purchase this or even download it for free- it
    > came with the Compaq. The only way to eliminate this problem is to
    > get rid of the software. Mo did not care, after all, he has never had
    > a virus in his life. The extent of his computer issues relate to
    > spyware, spam, pop-ups, and an undefragmented hard drive. Who the
    > hell has ever had a virus anyway? Anyone?
    >
    > These evil companies like Norton and McAfee are far, far worse as
    > infectant programs and as time-wasting pieces of memory than I can
    > imagine any virus to be. Shame on them! They are far worse than any
    > virus that the media dreams up and invents.
    >
    > Don't you people understand? The whole virus phenomenon is a sham, is
    > a way to get you to spend money on anti-virus software, which runs
    > every 18 seconds reminding you to download new anti-virus software
    > because even though you did not get a virus the last 47,820 times,
    > you might get one now.

    Insert shotgun barrel in your mouth and pull the trigger, and your
    problems should disappear.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    Hi Jason,

    The only statement I would challenge, is "The chances of you getting
    that virus in this day and age may be slim". The chance of getting a
    virus/Trojan increases each day. The change can also depend on one's
    surfing habits. However, this will not prevent getting virus/Trojan
    via email. This is why antivirus software is a must, IMO.

    --

    Jason Ryon wrote:
    > You get shots when you are a child to prevent a catastrophic (pardon
    > my spelling) sickness that could kill you. The chances of you
    > getting that virus in this day and age may be slim, however I would
    > rather have a few shots than die, I'm sure most people would agree.
    >
    > A computer virus works the same way. If you leave your computer
    > completely open to attack, you are just waiting for a disaster. You
    > don't think that a virus can harm your system? Maybe it's easy for
    > you, if you don't mind reformating your hard drive or loosing all of
    > your data, but consider an accountant of a large coorporation...a
    > virus comes in and completely wipes all the financial records which
    > could cost millions to replace. Leaving important systems
    > volunerable is not a wise choice.
    >
    > Additionally, a virus could deny access to important services, remove
    > users from being able to logon, run your hardware to it's maximum,
    > (often times shortening the life of your system). There are too many
    > chances that I for one am not willing to take.
    >
    > So antivirus software isn't pleasant...but in my opion much better
    > than the alternative. Most AV programs are setup to be
    > flexible...you can select options to update the virus definitions
    > when it is convienient for you.

    Norton AV is not a better alternative that many viruses.

    But there are some decent AV programs out there, NAV just isn't one of
    them.

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt
    Self-anointed Moderator
    microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:13:19 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
    <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:

    >Nice troll, should hook a few.
    >
    >Kerry

    I give it a 3.5. Far better was "noise as a snore in memory when computer is in
    idle" in mpsv recently, a 7.

    Jonathan Wolfson wrote:
    > Again, what about pc's that only one person uses? Intrusive AV
    > software should be installed only on PC's that are going to be
    > shared. Companies should sell personal PC's as well as public-used
    > PC's as a distinct category, and only the latter should be equipped
    > to a massive extent with AV software.

    LOL! Any PC that is on the net without AV is a likely shared computer,
    it is just the owner is unaware that it is being shared.

    If you want a computer built to your specs, then deal with small local
    OEMs, not multinational corporations, or build it yourself.

    From: "Jonathan Wolfson" <jon3825@gmail.com>

    | Don't you people understand? The whole virus phenomenon is a sham, is a
    | way to get you to spend money on anti-virus software, which runs every
    | 18 seconds reminding you to download new anti-virus software because
    | even though you did not get a virus the last 47,820 times, you might
    | get one now.
    |
    | -Jonathan Wolfson

    That's plain bullsh!t and FUD !!

    Did you not hear about the Mastercard, American Express, Vias and Discover card processing
    house infection ?

    A Credit Card processor for the above Credit Card organizations was infected with a virus
    and was able to steal tens of thousands of credit card accounts and compramised as many as
    40 Million total !

    You know NOTHING about computer infectors. You don't how organized crime has created
    malware to steal personal information. You don't know about zombied computers acting as
    proxy spam agents. You don't know about Internet worms causing 100's of millions of Dollars
    in damages on corporate networks.

    If you care to discuss this topic further, I suggest going to...

    alt.comp.virus

    and/or

    alt.comp.anti-virus

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Sometimes, I daydream myself. Like the time I figured out that I've never
    been in a car accident. So, why would I need a car with air bags or a seat
    belt I wondered. Then, I wokeup.

    Laptops, or PCs for that matter, if used in the old defintion of
    "standalone" (no internet or LAN access), and you don't frequent trial,
    shared, or otherwise given to you software, you may be okay without AV
    loaded. Beware anything you load on your laptop though. Common sense goes
    a long way.

    Am not an idiot though. You never mentioned any kind of external access
    from the laptop. You left that in left field for someone to guess
    (trolling?), If so, the laptop needs an AV, period.

    NAV doesn't bug the user every 20 seconds when the definitions are out of
    date. Try again. Windows Security Center (XP SP2) may depending how its
    setup, and what the user choosed to do when prompted. If this is too
    difficult to figure out for you or this Mo fella, maybe you better leave the
    AV installed in case the user fails an error in judgment when negotiating
    some decision to install or insert some media on the laptop.

    Have a nice day.

    "Lou" <none@example.org> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:13:19 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
    > <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:
    >
    >>Nice troll, should hook a few.
    >>
    >>Kerry
    >
    > I give it a 3.5. Far better was "noise as a snore in memory when computer
    > is in
    > idle" in mpsv recently, a 7.

    That one was pretty good. I'm still not sure if it was a language problem or
    a troll. This is a busier group so this one will generate more traffic :-)

    Kerry
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    kurttrail wrote:

    > You should talk sexual predator! You are worse than the trolls in this
    > thread, namely the OP and its backers. I am one that is frustrating the
    > trolls. I believe in giving trolls attention, but not necessarily the
    > kind of attention they were seeking.
    >
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator
    > microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    > http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

    Barry White. He makes the best makeout music known to man. Nothing
    today can even begin tocompare. I think there is some sort of
    intonation in his voice that drives chicks nuts.
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 10:36:01 -0500, "Jone Doe" <fake@nowhere.org> wrote:

    >If you really feel this way, please go off line now and stay off because
    >soon you will be spreading viruses all over the web and being used to spam
    >us. You don't want protection? Fine, that's your right, but as I said, get
    >the hell off line, NOW!

    AMEN.
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On 24 Jun 2005 08:28:49 -0700, in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general ,
    "Jonathan Wolfson" <jon3825@gmail.com> in
    <1119626929.748645.19160@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com> wrote:

    >How come that has never happened to me? I do not run AV software. Also,
    >I am not a corporation. So why do AV programs get pre-installed on user
    >systems? And can't computer makes make them a lot less intrusive and
    >much more in the background? By default they should be way in the
    >background, not in the forefront. Another thing is the loud noises the
    >software makes when demanding an update. To fix this problem for my
    >aunt who was complaining, I simply uninstalled her two antivirus
    >programs on her new PC. She will not be infected, I bet.

    Troll? Yep.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 14:03:16 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
    <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:

    >"Lou" <none@example.org> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:13:19 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
    >> <kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Nice troll, should hook a few.
    >>>
    >>>Kerry
    >>
    >> I give it a 3.5. Far better was "noise as a snore in memory when computer
    >> is in
    >> idle" in mpsv recently, a 7.
    >
    >That one was pretty good. I'm still not sure if it was a language problem or
    >a troll. This is a busier group so this one will generate more traffic :-)

    If Miss Tick gets involved, I'd give that a certainty. Without her, well, the
    "I don't need a firewall" / "I don't need anti-virus" etc lamers are so common,
    everything said here has been said so many times... ;-}
  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Jonathan Wolfson" <jon3825@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Me and my friend were trying to set up our laptop so that it could play
    > some mpeg file I made to memorialize someone. It had Windows Media
    > Player, so all was fine, and there were some issues regarding setting
    > it up to play in a digital projector. But every 20 seconds, an urgent
    > reminder kept appearing about how I need to update my Norton Antivirus
    > file. Every 20 seconds! Because of that, there was a chance that would
    > appear every 20 seconds during the presentation, so me and my friend
    > uninstalled the Norton Antivirus software. After all, my friend did not
    > purchase this or even download it for free- it came with the Compaq.
    > The only way to eliminate this problem is to get rid of the software.
    > Mo did not care, after all, he has never had a virus in his life. The
    > extent of his computer issues relate to spyware, spam, pop-ups, and an
    > undefragmented hard drive. Who the hell has ever had a virus anyway?
    > Anyone?
    >
    > These evil companies like Norton and McAfee are far, far worse as
    > infectant programs and as time-wasting pieces of memory than I can
    > imagine any virus to be. Shame on them! They are far worse than any
    > virus that the media dreams up and invents.
    >
    > Don't you people understand? The whole virus phenomenon is a sham, is a
    > way to get you to spend money on anti-virus software, which runs every
    > 18 seconds reminding you to download new anti-virus software because
    > even though you did not get a virus the last 47,820 times, you might
    > get one now.
    >
    > -Jonathan Wolfson

    Troll.

    Norton anti-virus may have some issues, but you would be daft to connect to
    the internet without anti-virus (and firewall).
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On 24 Jun 2005 12:56:02 -0500, Lou <none@example.org> wrote:

    >On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:13:19 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
    ><kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:
    >
    >>Nice troll, should hook a few.
    >>
    >>Kerry
    >
    >I give it a 3.5. Far better was "noise as a snore in memory when computer is in
    >idle" in mpsv recently, a 7.

    It may have been a sincere post, or maybe not. I've certainly heard
    similar sentiments before. I think there is a certain amount of
    witch-doctor in the approach of certain 'AntiSpy' software
    manufacturers. Less so among antivirus companies, but that still
    fuels conspiracy theories.

    The 'memory snore' is indeed a catchy subject line. Perhaps "Norton's
    Nodoz" would work.

    What is mpsv? I've recently found this group via google hits on some
    problems I was trying to resolve (great group here!). Are there other
    similar newsgroups?
  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "_RR" <_RR@nomail.org> wrote in message
    > On 24 Jun 2005 12:56:02 -0500, Lou <none@example.org> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:13:19 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
    >><kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Nice troll, should hook a few.
    >>>
    >>>Kerry
    >>
    >>I give it a 3.5. Far better was "noise as a snore in memory when computer
    >>is in
    >>idle" in mpsv recently, a 7.
    >
    > It may have been a sincere post, or maybe not. I've certainly heard
    > similar sentiments before. I think there is a certain amount of
    > witch-doctor in the approach of certain 'AntiSpy' software
    > manufacturers. Less so among antivirus companies, but that still
    > fuels conspiracy theories.
    >
    > The 'memory snore' is indeed a catchy subject line. Perhaps "Norton's
    > Nodoz" would work.
    >
    > What is mpsv? I've recently found this group via google hits on some
    > problems I was trying to resolve (great group here!). Are there other
    > similar newsgroups?

    Set your news server to msnews.microsoft.com There are a plethora of groups
    to choose from. It's quicker posting direct to the ms server rather your
    isp's and waiting for it to propagate.

    Kerry
  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    | Jonathan Wolfson wrote:
    | > Again, what about pc's that only one person uses? Intrusive AV
    | > software should be installed only on PC's that are going to be
    | > shared. Companies should sell personal PC's as well as public-used
    | > PC's as a distinct category, and only the latter should be equipped
    | > to a massive extent with AV software.
    | >

    | LOL! Any PC that is on the net without AV is a likely shared
    computer,
    | it is just the owner is unaware that it is being shared.

    I have a tendency towards a proper education on the use of a computer
    than AV software. I do use an online scan every once in a while. I
    have
    never had a virus or spyware. _EDUCATION_ The OP did state that
    the AV was calling home, many of them do.

    | If you want a computer built to your specs, then deal with small local
    | OEMs, not multinational corporations, or build it yourself.

    The above is a very astute statement. Spend a few more bucks and save
    tons of grief.
  29. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    And :
    - never connect to the web
    - never read any mail
    - never put in any drive any diskette / CD / suuport that you have not
    cretade yourself
    - never go WiFi

    Any of these actions can get you a virus. Viruses do not alert you before
    destroying.
    If you get one chances are you loose data - if not backup : gone it is
    forever and that can be dramatic ( professionally or emotionnally ( photos
    for example)). Or it can transmit personal data or monitor your typed keys
    and and and : no limit.

    There are many antivirus softwares : on ewill surely work well for you and
    not enough interfere with daily work. All are available as try-and-buy : so
    no reason to not try.
    Just do a backup before, so reverting will be fast and easy as well.

    Phil

    "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> a écrit dans le
    message de news: Os6rv7NeFHA.3012@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Jonathan Wolfson wrote:
    >> Again, what about pc's that only one person uses? Intrusive AV
    >> software should be installed only on PC's that are going to be
    >> shared. Companies should sell personal PC's as well as public-used
    >> PC's as a distinct category, and only the latter should be equipped
    >> to a massive extent with AV software.
    >>

    > LOL! Any PC that is on the net without AV is a likely shared computer, it
    > is just the owner is unaware that it is being shared.
    >
    > If you want a computer built to your specs, then deal with small local
    > OEMs, not multinational corporations, or build it yourself.
    >
    > --
    > Peace!
    > Kurt
    > Self-anointed Moderator
    > microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
    > http://microscum.com/mscommunity
    > "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

  30. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:22:49 -0400, _RR <_RR@nomail.org> wrote:

    >On 24 Jun 2005 12:56:02 -0500, Lou <none@example.org> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 08:13:19 -0700, "Kerry Brown"
    >><kerry@kdbNOSPAMsys-tems.c*a*m> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Nice troll, should hook a few.
    >>>
    >>>Kerry
    >>
    >>I give it a 3.5. Far better was "noise as a snore in memory when computer is in
    >>idle" in mpsv recently, a 7.
    >
    >It may have been a sincere post, or maybe not. I've certainly heard
    >similar sentiments before. I think there is a certain amount of
    >witch-doctor in the approach of certain 'AntiSpy' software
    >manufacturers. Less so among antivirus companies, but that still
    >fuels conspiracy theories.
    >
    >The 'memory snore' is indeed a catchy subject line. Perhaps "Norton's
    >Nodoz" would work.
    >
    >What is mpsv? I've recently found this group via google hits on some
    >problems I was trying to resolve (great group here!). Are there other
    >similar newsgroups?

    MPSV is Microsoft public security virus - it's available on most news servers.

    It may be a sincere post, but I doubt it. I sincerely hope nobody is as stupid
    as the OP sounds. You absolutely should NOT connect to the internet without a
    good layered security, including antivirus.

    If your computer labours to run with protection like antivirus, antispyware, and
    hardened software, your computer is either already serving software that you
    don't know about (ie infected thru lack of security), or it's so feeble that
    it's not worth using. With all of the protective software that I consider
    necessary, my computer runs maybe 5 - 10% CPU use when idle, and maybe 25 - 30%
    when in use, and half of THAT is NOT security software either - its not at all
    strained.

    Arguing that one should use a computer on the internet, without protection,
    because the load of protective software is too onerous to one's computer is just
    like someone wanting to disable the brakes on their car because the drag from
    the brakes puts a stain on the engine. And as a legal user of the highway would
    object to someone tooling down the highway with no brakes, any protected user of
    the internet should object to anybody connecting to the internet without any
    protection. What the OP does affects all of us.

    If he's serious, he's the best case in favour of licensing internet usage, that
    I have seen this year. His ISP should be contacted, and he should be
    quarantined. He's a bot member in the making, and to not object to his assinine
    attitude is irresponsible. If he's simply trolling, and some clueless and naive
    person should take him seriously, that would be equally as unacceptable.
  31. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    OK, I'll install a freeware AV that was recommended in the thread, if
    it is true that my attitude affects other people. I certainly do not
    want to harm others. My point was that I have never had a virus even
    though I never had AV software. I download lots of things from the
    internet and from LimeWire, and I simply do not open suspicious
    software or Spam. How else can I possibly get a virus? Whatever, if it
    makes you all feel happier and more secure, I will install AV software-
    I don't want people angry at me. When I was making a memorial
    presentation for a friend who passed away, it was a solemn time, and
    Norton AV update reminder kept making loud nolises and interrupting my
    effort, every twenty seconds. Can't you understand how I feel that is
    more intrusive than a virus can be?
  32. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > OK, I'll install a freeware AV that was recommended in the thread, if
    > it is true that my attitude affects other people. I certainly do not
    > want to harm others. My point was that I have never had a virus even
    > though I never had AV software. I download lots of things from the
    > internet and from LimeWire, and I simply do not open suspicious
    > software or Spam. How else can I possibly get a virus? Whatever, if it
    > makes you all feel happier and more secure, I will install AV software-
    > I don't want people angry at me. When I was making a memorial
    > presentation for a friend who passed away, it was a solemn time, and
    > Norton AV update reminder kept making loud nolises and interrupting my
    > effort, every twenty seconds. Can't you understand how I feel that is
    > more intrusive than a virus can be?

    Yes we understand that was a problem. It is not normal for NAV to do this.
    Something was setup wrong. If you don't test for the presence of something
    how do you know it doesn't exist? Downloading from limewire is a sure way to
    get a virus. Many criminals setup servers for p2p with the explicit purpose
    of taking over computers for criminal activity. I see at least two or three
    computers a month with malware contracted from p2p sharing. Most of them
    with a root kit installed.

    I still think is a troll trying to extend the thread but just in case I've
    answered.

    Kerry
  33. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I guess because I am an educated user, I need no AV protection. I guess
    I imagine the masses to be educated users as well. It is frankly
    difficult to imagine people uneducated, since proper computer usage
    seems very intuitive- simply do not open things that look unfamiliar.
    What else is there?
  34. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Maybe it was McAfee that had the twenty second update reminder, and my
    friend and I could not figure out, in the span of an hour or so, how to
    remove that message, so the only thing to do was to uninstall it.
  35. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On 25 Jun 2005 01:00:03 -0500, Lou <lour0314@gmail.com> wrote:

    >On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:22:49 -0400, _RR <_RR@nomail.org> wrote:
    >>It may have been a sincere post, or maybe not. I've certainly heard
    >>similar sentiments before. I think there is a certain amount of
    >>witch-doctor in the approach of certain 'AntiSpy' software
    >>manufacturers. Less so among antivirus companies, but that still
    >>fuels conspiracy theories.
    >>
    >>The 'memory snore' is indeed a catchy subject line. Perhaps "Norton's
    >>Nodoz" would work.
    >>
    >>What is mpsv? I've recently found this group via google hits on some
    >>problems I was trying to resolve (great group here!). Are there other
    >>similar newsgroups?

    >MPSV is Microsoft public security virus - it's available on most news servers.

    Thanks, I'll look.

    >It may be a sincere post, but I doubt it. I sincerely hope nobody is as stupid
    >as the OP sounds. You absolutely should NOT connect to the internet without a
    >good layered security, including antivirus.
    >
    >If he's serious, he's the best case in favour of licensing internet usage, that
    >I have seen this year. His ISP should be contacted, and he should be
    >quarantined. He's a bot member in the making, and to not object to his assinine
    >attitude is irresponsible. If he's simply trolling, and some clueless and naive
    >person should take him seriously, that would be equally as unacceptable.

    So he's playing the part of John Hurt in the Alien. Hurt won't be
    poking at any more alien pods.

    Seriously, I wish the legal system would aggressively change the
    current situation. Until there are significant penalties, viruses
    will proliferate and there's no practical way to guard against every
    single one.

    AntiVirus has become an industry unto itself, like > 640K managers
    were 10 years ago. At this point, I don't see antivirus software
    alone overcoming it. It's playing constant defense.
  36. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > On 25 Jun 2005 01:00:03 -0500, Lou <lour0314@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:22:49 -0400, _RR <_RR@nomail.org> wrote:
    >>>It may have been a sincere post, or maybe not. I've certainly heard
    >>>similar sentiments before. I think there is a certain amount of
    >>>witch-doctor in the approach of certain 'AntiSpy' software
    >>>manufacturers. Less so among antivirus companies, but that still
    >>>fuels conspiracy theories.
    >>>
    >>>The 'memory snore' is indeed a catchy subject line. Perhaps "Norton's
    >>>Nodoz" would work.
    >>>
    >>>What is mpsv? I've recently found this group via google hits on some
    >>>problems I was trying to resolve (great group here!). Are there other
    >>>similar newsgroups?
    >
    >>MPSV is Microsoft public security virus - it's available on most news
    >>servers.
    >
    > Thanks, I'll look.
    >
    >>It may be a sincere post, but I doubt it. I sincerely hope nobody is as
    >>stupid
    >>as the OP sounds. You absolutely should NOT connect to the internet
    >>without a
    >>good layered security, including antivirus.
    >>
    >>If he's serious, he's the best case in favour of licensing internet usage,
    >>that
    >>I have seen this year. His ISP should be contacted, and he should be
    >>quarantined. He's a bot member in the making, and to not object to his
    >>assinine
    >>attitude is irresponsible. If he's simply trolling, and some clueless and
    >>naive
    >>person should take him seriously, that would be equally as unacceptable.
    >
    > So he's playing the part of John Hurt in the Alien. Hurt won't be
    > poking at any more alien pods.
    >
    > Seriously, I wish the legal system would aggressively change the
    > current situation. Until there are significant penalties, viruses
    > will proliferate and there's no practical way to guard against every
    > single one.
    >
    > AntiVirus has become an industry unto itself, like > 640K managers
    > were 10 years ago. At this point, I don't see antivirus software
    > alone overcoming it. It's playing constant defense.

    In one sense the OP is right. The antivirus companies can't react until they
    see a new virus. How fast they react and how the update gets to the end user
    is the key at this point. An antivirus app is one part of the defense. End
    user education is the first line.

    Kerry
  37. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 07:42:40 -0400, _RR <_RR@nomail.org> wrote:

    >On 25 Jun 2005 01:00:03 -0500, Lou <lour0314@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 24 Jun 2005 18:22:49 -0400, _RR <_RR@nomail.org> wrote:
    >>>It may have been a sincere post, or maybe not. I've certainly heard
    >>>similar sentiments before. I think there is a certain amount of
    >>>witch-doctor in the approach of certain 'AntiSpy' software
    >>>manufacturers. Less so among antivirus companies, but that still
    >>>fuels conspiracy theories.
    >>>
    >>>The 'memory snore' is indeed a catchy subject line. Perhaps "Norton's
    >>>Nodoz" would work.
    >>>
    >>>What is mpsv? I've recently found this group via google hits on some
    >>>problems I was trying to resolve (great group here!). Are there other
    >>>similar newsgroups?
    >
    >>MPSV is Microsoft public security virus - it's available on most news servers.
    >
    >Thanks, I'll look.
    >
    >>It may be a sincere post, but I doubt it. I sincerely hope nobody is as stupid
    >>as the OP sounds. You absolutely should NOT connect to the internet without a
    >>good layered security, including antivirus.
    >>
    >>If he's serious, he's the best case in favour of licensing internet usage, that
    >>I have seen this year. His ISP should be contacted, and he should be
    >>quarantined. He's a bot member in the making, and to not object to his assinine
    >>attitude is irresponsible. If he's simply trolling, and some clueless and naive
    >>person should take him seriously, that would be equally as unacceptable.
    >
    >So he's playing the part of John Hurt in the Alien. Hurt won't be
    >poking at any more alien pods.
    >
    >Seriously, I wish the legal system would aggressively change the
    >current situation. Until there are significant penalties, viruses
    >will proliferate and there's no practical way to guard against every
    >single one.
    >
    >AntiVirus has become an industry unto itself, like > 640K managers
    >were 10 years ago. At this point, I don't see antivirus software
    >alone overcoming it. It's playing constant defense.

    Antivirus is an industry because thuggery on the Internet is big business.
    There's money there - and the bad guys are all over it.

    The bad guys have the advantage - plenty of clueless advertising firms are
    willing to pay them to provide an advertising advantage for their products.
    <http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=528&e=3&u=/ap/20050624/ap_on_hi_te/spyware_s_advertisers>

    And the bad guys own lawyers - lots of them.
    <http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13144805>
    <http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,12962998>

    But you're right - antivirus software won't stop the problem. Neither will
    having an airbag in your car prevent you from having an accident. But an airbag
    may save your life - and antivirus software, along with other components in a
    layered defense, may keep your computer from providing yet another bot to the
    botnets of the world.
  38. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "BBUNNY" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message

    > "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in message
    > | Jonathan Wolfson wrote:
    > | > Again, what about pc's that only one person uses? Intrusive AV
    > | > software should be installed only on PC's that are going to be
    > | > shared. Companies should sell personal PC's as well as public-used
    > | > PC's as a distinct category, and only the latter should be equipped
    > | > to a massive extent with AV software.
    > | >

    > | LOL! Any PC that is on the net without AV is a likely shared
    > computer,
    > | it is just the owner is unaware that it is being shared.
    >
    > I have a tendency towards a proper education on the use of a computer
    > than AV software. I do use an online scan every once in a while. I
    > have
    > never had a virus or spyware. _EDUCATION_ The OP did state that
    > the AV was calling home, many of them do.

    The description given, "every 20 seconds", is what the MS Security Center
    may ask if it has doubts of the AVs virus definitions. NAV update itself
    defaults to 4 hours generally speaking.

    I read all the replies down to yours so far. No one seems to be aware of
    that. Or, wants to fess up as its an MS Security Center prompt, not NAV
    update prompting every 20 seconds or so.

    Lots of NAV haters and MS lovers here.

    > | If you want a computer built to your specs, then deal with small local
    > | OEMs, not multinational corporations, or build it yourself.
    >
    > The above is a very astute statement. Spend a few more bucks and save
    > tons of grief.

  39. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On 25 Jun 2005 06:39:38 -0700, "Jonathan Wolfson" <jon3825@gmail.com> wrote:

    >OK, I'll install a freeware AV that was recommended in the thread, if
    >it is true that my attitude affects other people. I certainly do not
    >want to harm others. My point was that I have never had a virus even
    >though I never had AV software. I download lots of things from the
    >internet and from LimeWire, and I simply do not open suspicious
    >software or Spam. How else can I possibly get a virus? Whatever, if it
    >makes you all feel happier and more secure, I will install AV software-
    >I don't want people angry at me. When I was making a memorial
    >presentation for a friend who passed away, it was a solemn time, and
    >Norton AV update reminder kept making loud nolises and interrupting my
    >effort, every twenty seconds. Can't you understand how I feel that is
    >more intrusive than a virus can be?

    Yes, we do understand how annoying obtrusive software reminders can be. I doubt
    anybody here hasn't experienced something that frustrated us beyond belief, and
    temporarily un installing software is a frequent diagnostic step.

    Just don't confuse temporary diagnostic procedures with permanent solutions.

    And for the record, I hate the whiny tricks that McAfee and Norton use. But you
    need to fix the problem, not just eliminate the symptoms.
  40. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Jonathan Wolfson wrote:

    > How come that has never happened to me? I do not run AV software. Also,

    If you never run antivirus software than you have NO idea if you are
    infected or not.

    > I am not a corporation. So why do AV programs get pre-installed on user
    > systems? And can't computer makes make them a lot less intrusive and

    Because they want their customers to at least use the systems for a
    month or so before they call tech support.

    > much more in the background? By default they should be way in the
    > background, not in the forefront. Another thing is the loud noises the
    > software makes when demanding an update. To fix this problem for my
    > aunt who was complaining, I simply uninstalled her two antivirus
    > programs on her new PC. She will not be infected, I bet.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
  41. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On 25 Jun 2005 07:21:45 -0700, "Jonathan Wolfson" <jon3825@gmail.com>
    wrote:

    >I guess because I am an educated user, I need no AV protection. I guess
    >I imagine the masses to be educated users as well. It is frankly
    >difficult to imagine people uneducated, since proper computer usage
    >seems very intuitive- simply do not open things that look unfamiliar.
    >What else is there?

    There was apparently a hole in IE that allowed spyware to load when
    the user simply *passed their cursor over* an area on the screen. No
    clicks required. This has been fixed long ago, but that's the type of
    thing that no one can be expected to know about or guard against.

    There will always be holes in any operating system (I don't go for
    hype about Macs or Linux...if there was money in it, their security
    holes would be well exploited).

    The fact that there are lawyers working in defense of slimeware says
    it all; there are legal loopholes that give them leverage. They
    should be closed and violators should be actively pursued. That would
    not prevent all trojan/spyware development, but it should at least
    take it to the point where it's not as leucrative.

    I saw an announcement from download.com that they will no longer post
    programs that incorporate spyware. The surprise is that this implies
    that they knowingly did this in the past. Makes you wonder...

Antivirus Software Windows XP