No boot files on Raid Drive

Hi all
Got a question conserning the boot files on my windows XP Pro , Raid setup.
There are no boot files on the C: of my raid o setup.
I just created this setup , I have 2 80 gig drives and partitioned them to
C: & D: ,
The boot files apear on my D: ,(Raid storage drive).
Is this normal ? Why does windows put the boot files on D:, does this always
happen in a raid setup?
Thanks guys.

--
Carl G

Carl G wrote:
> Hi all
> Got a question conserning the boot files on my windows XP Pro , Raid
> setup. There are no boot files on the C: of my raid o setup.
> I just created this setup , I have 2 80 gig drives and partitioned
> them to C: & D: ,
> The boot files apear on my D: ,(Raid storage drive).
> Is this normal ? Why does windows put the boot files on D:, does this
> always happen in a raid setup?
> Thanks guys.

No. You must have D: setup as the boot drive.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Hi Kurttrail
Acording to disk management my C: is the boot drive and it says D: is
healthy (system) .
I don't know why D: is listed as system,
the only thing i changed is i moved my doc folder to D:.
Would this cause it to call D: system.
Thanks

--
Carl G

Carl G wrote:
> Hi Kurttrail
> Acording to disk management my C: is the boot drive and it says D: is
> healthy (system) .
> I don't know why D: is listed as system,
> the only thing i changed is i moved my doc folder to D:.
> Would this cause it to call D: system.
> Thanks

How did you partition the the RAID?

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Hi Kurttail
I created my Raid array when booting,when the raid Bios came up.
Then i partioned the drive while loadeing windows.
I then formated the other partion from windows .(disc management)
Ya know , now that i think of it i did delete the raid partition and
recreate it for some reason,(can't remember why),
then reinsalled windows.
Thats about all i can tell you.
Can i move the boot files (4 of them isn't there) to C: and have it work ok
or is this a no no.
Or if i want it right should i wipe it all out and start over? (it would be
no problem for me to do this)
Thanks

--
Carl G

Carl G wrote:
> Hi Kurttail
> I created my Raid array when booting,when the raid Bios came up.
> Then i partioned the drive while loadeing windows.
> I then formated the other partion from windows .(disc management)
> Ya know , now that i think of it i did delete the raid partition and
> recreate it for some reason,(can't remember why),
> then reinsalled windows.
> Thats about all i can tell you.
> Can i move the boot files (4 of them isn't there) to C: and have it
> work ok or is this a no no.
> Or if i want it right should i wipe it all out and start over? (it
> would be no problem for me to do this)
> Thanks

I'd wait to see if you get anymore replies first, but yeah, a clean
install should do it.

If you reinstall, back up anything you don't want to lose, of course,
and during the install phase delete both partitions, and only create the
partition you are gonna install XP on, then create your D: partition
after the install is completed.

There probably is a way to change this without a reinstall, but you are
probably better off just doing the reinstall.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Thanks kurttrail
I guess i will do the reinstall tonight.
Got everything backed up so no problem.
Besides , i am retired and nothing much else to ocupy my time. ha ha.
thanks again.

--
Carl G
> Carl G wrote:
>> Hi Kurttail
>> I created my Raid array when booting,when the raid Bios came up.
>> Then i partioned the drive while loadeing windows.
>> I then formated the other partion from windows .(disc management)
>> Ya know , now that i think of it i did delete the raid partition and
>> recreate it for some reason,(can't remember why),
>> then reinsalled windows.
>> Thats about all i can tell you.
>> Can i move the boot files (4 of them isn't there) to C: and have it
>> work ok or is this a no no.
>> Or if i want it right should i wipe it all out and start over? (it
>> would be no problem for me to do this)
>> Thanks
>
> I'd wait to see if you get anymore replies first, but yeah, a clean
> install should do it.
>
> If you reinstall, back up anything you don't want to lose, of course, and
> during the install phase delete both partitions, and only create the
> partition you are gonna install XP on, then create your D: partition after
> the install is completed.
>
> There probably is a way to change this without a reinstall, but you are
> probably better off just doing the reinstall.
>
> --
> Peace!
> Kurt
> Self-anointed Moderator
> microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
> http://microscum.com/mscommunity
> "Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

I would rethink the idea of a partitioning scheme. If you
lose the RAID0, you will lose the whole shebang anyway.
Think about an external backup solution.

"Carl G" <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom> wrote in message
| Thanks kurttrail
| I guess i will do the reinstall tonight.
| Got everything backed up so no problem.
| Besides , i am retired and nothing much else to ocupy my time. ha ha.
| thanks again.
|
| "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
message
| > Carl G wrote:
| >> Hi Kurttail
| >> I created my Raid array when booting,when the raid Bios came up.

Hi BBunny
I have external hard drive backup.
I just couldn't see instaling windows on 160 gig drive.
I will use the storage for my video files for my dig camcorder.Still have it
all on tape in case everything goes south. Convenient to have it on pc.
Thanks for the reply.

--
Carl G
"BBUNNY" <bbunny@bqik.net> wrote in message
>I would rethink the idea of a partitioning scheme. If you
> lose the RAID0, you will lose the whole shebang anyway.
> Think about an external backup solution.
>
> "Carl G" <cgerving@ecenetDOTcom> wrote in message
> | Thanks kurttrail
> | I guess i will do the reinstall tonight.
> | Got everything backed up so no problem.
> | Besides , i am retired and nothing much else to ocupy my time. ha ha.
> | thanks again.
> |
> | "kurttrail" <dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org> wrote in
> message

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

Carl G wrote:

> Hi Kurttrail
> Acording to disk management my C: is the boot drive and it says D: is
> healthy (system) .
> I don't know why D: is listed as system,
> the only thing i changed is i moved my doc folder to D:.
> Would this cause it to call D: system.
> Thanks

C: is your boot drive and D: is system? Strange, in MS speak its saying
that D: has the boot strap files and C: has the OS? -- lol !! But
really, what does it matter? C:, D: X, Y, Z or some other ancient way of
describing a partition ... why care as long as it works!

John

Hi John
Your right john , as long as it works,it shouldn't be a problem.
But , me being the fussy type, it botherd me.
I got it all right now, i redid the whole works and did it right.
Thanks Kurttrail for all the info.
Thank ya all.

--
Carl G

Carl G wrote:
> Hi John
> Your right john , as long as it works,it shouldn't be a problem.
> But , me being the fussy type, it botherd me.
> I got it all right now, i redid the whole works and did it right.
> Thanks Kurttrail for all the info.
> Thank ya all.

You're Welcome. Glad you got it to where you wanted it.

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator