Are these folders safe to delete?

The following folders and files are occupying a lot of space in my
C:\Windows folder:

- $MSI31Uninstall??????$ - over 30 different folders totalling over 500MB
- Driver Cache folder (119 MB)
- ServicePackFiles Folder containing i386 subfolder (530MB)
- SoftwareDistribution folder (659 MB)
- RegisteredPackages Folder (65 MB)
- $NtServicePackUninstall$ (265 MB)
- Internet logs (73 MB)
- $hf_mig$ (93 MB)

Please, which of these folders can I safely delete

CeeCee
5 answers Last reply
More about folders safe delete

    They are mostly Hotfixes, Updates and uninstallers of these. If you delete
    them your PC may bite the dust. You can uninstall them at your own risk.
    Go here if you need to make room on your harddrive after SP2 install.
    AumHa Forums (cleanup after SP2 install)
    http://forum.aumha.org/viewtopic.php?t=7265&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight
    --
    Some days you're the windshield,
    some days you're the bug.

    "Clinton C. Muoto" <clintonmuoto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The following folders and files are occupying a lot of space in my
    > C:\Windows folder:
    >
    > - $MSI31Uninstall??????$ - over 30 different folders totalling over 500MB
    > - Driver Cache folder (119 MB)
    > - ServicePackFiles Folder containing i386 subfolder (530MB)
    > - SoftwareDistribution folder (659 MB)
    > - RegisteredPackages Folder (65 MB)
    > - $NtServicePackUninstall$ (265 MB)
    > - Internet logs (73 MB)
    > - $hf_mig$ (93 MB)
    >
    > Please, which of these folders can I safely delete
    >
    > CeeCee

    Here is some information on deleting Windows Update installation files:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm

    Your should not delete these:

    - Driver Cache folder (119 MB)
    - ServicePackFiles Folder containing i386 subfolder (530MB)

    These folders support Windows XP for such things as updates, SFC, driver
    maintenance etc.

    I am not sure about: - RegisteredPackages Folder (65 MB) or - $hf_mig$ (93
    MB). IMO leave them until you understand there purpose.

    You can delete the files in Internet logs but leave the folder. It will
    just be recreated any how.

    Don

    Thanks for the help. I have followed your suggestion and everything looks
    OK.

    "Don MI <>" <d7macm8@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Clinton C. Muoto" <clintonmuoto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> The following folders and files are occupying a lot of space in my
    >> C:\Windows folder:
    >>
    >> - $MSI31Uninstall??????$ - over 30 different folders totalling over 500MB
    >> - Driver Cache folder (119 MB)
    >> - ServicePackFiles Folder containing i386 subfolder (530MB)
    >> - SoftwareDistribution folder (659 MB)
    >> - RegisteredPackages Folder (65 MB)
    >> - $NtServicePackUninstall$ (265 MB)
    >> - Internet logs (73 MB)
    >> - $hf_mig$ (93 MB)
    >>
    >> Please, which of these folders can I safely delete
    >>
    >> CeeCee
    >>

    > Here is some information on deleting Windows Update installation files:
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm
    >
    > Your should not delete these:
    >
    > - Driver Cache folder (119 MB)
    > - ServicePackFiles Folder containing i386 subfolder (530MB)
    >
    > These folders support Windows XP for such things as updates, SFC, driver
    > maintenance etc.
    >
    > I am not sure about: - RegisteredPackages Folder (65 MB) or - $hf_mig$ (93
    > MB). IMO leave them until you understand there purpose.
    >
    > You can delete the files in Internet logs but leave the folder. It will
    > just be recreated any how.
    >
    > Don

    Clinton C. Muoto wrote:

    Answers inline

    > The following folders and files are occupying a lot of space in my
    > C:\Windows folder:
    >
    > - $MSI31Uninstall??????$ - over 30 different folders totalling over 500MB

    Yes, these are the uninstall files for the updates. If things are
    working fine they can be deleted and after that the references to them
    in add/remove programs.

    > - Driver Cache folder (119 MB)

    No, leave as is

    > - ServicePackFiles Folder containing i386 subfolder (530MB)

    Can be copied to CD if desired. But then edit the registry to point to
    the new location.

    > - SoftwareDistribution folder (659 MB)

    Yes

    > - RegisteredPackages Folder (65 MB)

    Leave them.

    > - $NtServicePackUninstall$ (265 MB)

    Yes, same as the first question.

    > - Internet logs (73 MB)

    Probably.

    > - $hf_mig$ (93 MB)

    Leave this alone. It's used for future updates.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Thanks for the help.

    Ceecee

    "Don MI <>" <d7macm8@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "Clinton C. Muoto" <clintonmuoto@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> The following folders and files are occupying a lot of space in my
    >> C:\Windows folder:
    >>
    >> - $MSI31Uninstall??????$ - over 30 different folders totalling over 500MB
    >> - Driver Cache folder (119 MB)
    >> - ServicePackFiles Folder containing i386 subfolder (530MB)
    >> - SoftwareDistribution folder (659 MB)
    >> - RegisteredPackages Folder (65 MB)
    >> - $NtServicePackUninstall$ (265 MB)
    >> - Internet logs (73 MB)
    >> - $hf_mig$ (93 MB)
    >>
    >> Please, which of these folders can I safely delete
    >>
    >> CeeCee
    >>

    > Here is some information on deleting Windows Update installation files:
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spack.htm
    >
    > Your should not delete these:
    >
    > - Driver Cache folder (119 MB)
    > - ServicePackFiles Folder containing i386 subfolder (530MB)
    >
    > These folders support Windows XP for such things as updates, SFC, driver
    > maintenance etc.
    >
    > I am not sure about: - RegisteredPackages Folder (65 MB) or - $hf_mig$ (93
    > MB). IMO leave them until you understand there purpose.
    >
    > You can delete the files in Internet logs but leave the folder. It will
    > just be recreated any how.
    >
    > Don

Microsoft Windows XP