Multi-Boot Question...

Is it possible to install a 2nd HD, install XP on that, and then have the
1st HD's boot menu offer the choice of booting its copy of XP, OR the copy
on the 2nd HD? [not a second partition on the same HD]. I imagine editing
of boot.ini by hand would be necessary.

Basically, I want a second HD for the KID'S setup, but don't want to use
the BIOS to switch between the two, just use the boot menu. Can NTLDR
handle that?
8 answers Last reply
More about multi boot question

    Can tell you what I did when the nest was still full, and worried about my
    PC stuff being contaminated or eradicated by kid's usage.

    You'll need the following:
    An add-on ide card with its own bios, no raid card, Promise.com offers.
    A removable hard drive tray.
    A hard drive.
    An empty 5.25" bay in the PC.
    PC must be able to boot from SCSI.
    Available irq 10, 11, or 15. Or, at least, the PC's ability to share this
    with the ide card if already used.

    You'll need to do the following:
    Install the card
    Install the drive into the tray.
    Install the tray's holder in the PC.
    Install the tray's holder ribbon cable to the card.
    Disable the primary controller. Disable the onboard ide master and slave
    primaries. (You don't want to see any other windows installation).
    Set the PC to boot from SCSI in the bios settings.
    Install XP, and the card's windows drivers etc.

    When done:
    Turn off the PC.
    Remove the drive, mounted in the removable tray and keys.
    Change the bios setting back to recognizing the onboard primary master and
    slave.
    Place the tray and keys in a location out of curious hands.

    If the PC bites the dust, move the card, the tray and tray holder to a new
    PC. Setup the bios the same way. Do a repair install of XP if needed. You
    may need a new key from MS if this happens. Just follow directions provided
    during the reboot after the repair install. This may happen on your current
    PC as well.

    Even though there are ways of multi-booting onboard multiple hard drives, I
    like this way for ability to physically remove the hard drive from the
    system when I'm not using it. This has multiple benefits.

    This will not work on PCs with their own exclusive installation procedures
    looking for the onboard primary, master hard drive. Typically, a retail XP
    install Cd will work. Or, the OEM type purchased with hardware. OEMs XP
    installs, like Compaq or HP, are unlikely candidates.

    > Can tell you what I did when the nest was still full, and worried about my
    > PC stuff being contaminated or eradicated by kid's usage.
    >
    > You'll need the following:
    > An add-on ide card with its own bios, no raid card, Promise.com offers.
    > A removable hard drive tray.
    > A hard drive.
    > An empty 5.25" bay in the PC.
    > PC must be able to boot from SCSI.
    > Available irq 10, 11, or 15. Or, at least, the PC's ability to share this
    > with the ide card if already used.
    >
    > You'll need to do the following:
    > Install the card
    > Install the drive into the tray.
    > Install the tray's holder in the PC.
    > Install the tray's holder ribbon cable to the card.
    > Disable the primary controller. Disable the onboard ide master and slave
    > primaries. (You don't want to see any other windows installation).
    > Set the PC to boot from SCSI in the bios settings.
    > Install XP, and the card's windows drivers etc.
    >
    > When done:
    > Turn off the PC.
    > Remove the drive, mounted in the removable tray and keys.
    > Change the bios setting back to recognizing the onboard primary master and
    > slave.
    > Place the tray and keys in a location out of curious hands.
    >
    > If the PC bites the dust, move the card, the tray and tray holder to a new
    > PC. Setup the bios the same way. Do a repair install of XP if needed.
    > You
    > may need a new key from MS if this happens. Just follow directions
    > provided
    > during the reboot after the repair install. This may happen on your
    > current
    > PC as well.
    >
    > Even though there are ways of multi-booting onboard multiple hard drives,
    > like this way for ability to physically remove the hard drive from the
    > system when I'm not using it. This has multiple benefits.
    >
    > This will not work on PCs with their own exclusive installation procedures
    > looking for the onboard primary, master hard drive. Typically, a retail
    > XP
    > install Cd will work. Or, the OEM type purchased with hardware. OEMs XP
    > installs, like Compaq or HP, are unlikely candidates.

    frodo:
    Li'l Dave's basic recommendation about installing a removable hard drive as
    your second internal HD is a good one but I fear he complicates the process
    somewhat. So here's another view...

    First of all, you will *not* need an "add-on ide card with its own bios".
    And you will *not* need a "PC (that) must be able to boot from SCSI."
    And you need *not* be concerned with IRQs.

    What you will need (as Li'l Dave points out) is an available 5 1/4" bay in
    your computer case to house the mobile rack containing the second HD. That's
    it.

    The beauty of this arrangement is now you can easily have a dedicated HD for
    the exclusive use of your children. A simple turn of the keylock and that
    second drive becomes the bootable drive. No need to go into the BIOS; no
    need to use a boot manager. The process is simplicity itself. And your
    primary HD remains isolated within the system.

    And there are other *enormous* advantages to installing a removable (second)
    HD in your computer. The mobile rack is actually a two-part affair with the
    rack itself permanently (more-or-less) affixed to the computer's case. The
    HD it contains is housed in a removable tray that slides in & out of the
    rack. You can purchase as many additional trays as you desire to house as
    many HDs as you desire. Do you see the enormous positive implications of all
    this? Now you have a virtual unlimited source of HDs at your disposal for
    any purpose you desire. You can, for instance, use one of them for backup
    purposes. Using a disk imaging program such as Norton Ghost or Acronis True
    Image, you can simply clone the contents of your day-to-day working HD to
    one of the removable HDs. What better backup system can one have? And your
    accomplishing all this from outside your computer case.

    If you think this type of system holds any appeal for you and you want more
    details re its installation, please so indicate.
    Anna

    Install the second hard drive and make sure it is recognised by the BIOS and
    you can see it in Windows XP. Next insert your copy of XP into the cd-rom
    and reboot. The xp start up application will begin. You will need to select
    a 'new' installation because the setup will automatically find your other
    installation on drive 1. When asked where you want to install xp select
    drive 2 (you will need to create a partition on the second drive for xp to
    install on - again you can do this from xp). Once the 'new' copy of xp has
    been installed and you have rebooted your pc you should get a menu asking
    you which copy of xp you want to boot from.
    If you visit my website http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org click the Win XP
    Faq button and take a look at questions 41 and 85.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org

    <frodo@theshire.org> wrote in message
    > Is it possible to install a 2nd HD, install XP on that, and then have the
    > 1st HD's boot menu offer the choice of booting its copy of XP, OR the copy
    > on the 2nd HD? [not a second partition on the same HD]. I imagine editing
    > of boot.ini by hand would be necessary.
    >
    > Basically, I want a second HD for the KID'S setup, but don't want to use
    > the BIOS to switch between the two, just use the boot menu. Can NTLDR
    > handle that?

    Hi,

    > Is it possible to install a 2nd HD, install XP on that, and then have the
    > 1st HD's boot menu offer the choice of booting its copy of XP, OR the copy
    > on the 2nd HD? [not a second partition on the same HD]. I imagine editing
    > of boot.ini by hand would be necessary.

    Yes. Install the drive, then boot with the WinXP CD and run setup. Agree to
    the license (hit F8) and at the installation location point choose the new
    drive. You will be prompted to create a partition and format it (quick NTFS
    is usually sufficient). Setup will install to the new location, and will
    create the dual boot for you (no editing necessary).

    > Basically, I want a second HD for the KID'S setup, but don't want to use
    > the BIOS to switch between the two, just use the boot menu. Can NTLDR
    > handle that?

    Yep, it can. But why not just give them limited user accounts?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Anna" <myname@myisp.net> wrote in message
> [...]
    > HD it contains is housed in a removable tray that slides in & out of the
    > rack. You can purchase as many additional trays as you desire to house as
    > many HDs as you desire. Do you see the enormous positive implications of
    all
    > this? Now you have a virtual unlimited source of HDs at your disposal for
    > any purpose you desire. You can, for instance, use one of them for backup
    > purposes. Using a disk imaging program such as Norton Ghost or Acronis
    True
    > Image, you can simply clone the contents of your day-to-day working HD to
    > one of the removable HDs. What better backup system can one have? And your
    > accomplishing all this from outside your computer case.
    >
    > If you think this type of system holds any appeal for you and you want
    more
    > details re its installation, please so indicate.

    You are correct in your description.
    As you also describe, since the childeren have left the nest, I now use the
    removable for a cloned drive, and another hard drive as an image target for
    further backup safety. In this case, I don't disable the onboard primary
    ide devices or the controller. The onboard primary master is the boot hard
    drive.

    I do disagree with leaving the removable hard drive in its bay in either
    case. The electronics are still connected to the interface card on the
    removable holder for the tray. If the PC decides to bite the dust, it may
    take the still inserted hard drive in the tray with it. Thus defeating one
    of the primary purposes of a removable hard drive. Yes, I use an UPS.

    I recommend an add-on ide card as when the PC may fail and a replacement PC
    is required. Since the bios isn't going to change for the CHS and landing
    zone for the hard drive connected to the card, there isn't a recognition
    problem by the new PC. Motherboard swaps can result in same. Those that
    have attempted moving a hard drive connected to the onboard ide connector
    from one make PC to another, or a motherboard swap with a different bios
    understand my meaning. The hard drive's data may not be translated
    correctly because of the different bios. Then, all your data is there, but
    not translated correctly, no OS, all your personal data is inaccessible.

    The add-on ide card is used for additional insurance for recovery as well in
    the event of PC or motherboard failure. The worst that could happen is the
    ide card bites the dust at the same time as the PC, these are inexpensive to
    replace. Just stick with the same brand name so the ide card's bios CHS and
    landing zone won't change.

    > You are correct in your description.
    > As you also describe, since the childeren have left the nest, I now use
    > the
    > removable for a cloned drive, and another hard drive as an image target
    > for
    > further backup safety. In this case, I don't disable the onboard primary
    > ide devices or the controller. The onboard primary master is the boot
    > hard
    > drive.
    >
    > I do disagree with leaving the removable hard drive in its bay in either
    > case. The electronics are still connected to the interface card on the
    > removable holder for the tray. If the PC decides to bite the dust, it may
    > take the still inserted hard drive in the tray with it. Thus defeating
    > one
    > of the primary purposes of a removable hard drive. Yes, I use an UPS.
    >
    > I recommend an add-on ide card as when the PC may fail and a replacement
    > PC
    > is required. Since the bios isn't going to change for the CHS and landing
    > zone for the hard drive connected to the card, there isn't a recognition
    > problem by the new PC. Motherboard swaps can result in same. Those that
    > have attempted moving a hard drive connected to the onboard ide connector
    > from one make PC to another, or a motherboard swap with a different bios
    > understand my meaning. The hard drive's data may not be translated
    > correctly because of the different bios. Then, all your data is there,
    > but
    > not translated correctly, no OS, all your personal data is inaccessible.
    >
    > The add-on ide card is used for additional insurance for recovery as well
    > in
    > the event of PC or motherboard failure. The worst that could happen is
    > the
    > ide card bites the dust at the same time as the PC, these are inexpensive
    > replace. Just stick with the same brand name so the ide card's bios CHS
    > and
    > landing zone won't change.

    Dave:
    As I'm sure you're aware of this since you work with removable hard
    drives...

    When the removable hard drive in its mobile rack is *not* in use -- it's a
    simple matter to turn its keylock to the OFF position and then for further
    safety's sake give a slight pull on the handle of the removable tray (caddy)
    so that the HD is *physically and electrically disconnected* from the
    computer. No more difficult than slightly cracking open a small desk drawer.
    And an added advantage is that the tray or caddy containing the HD can
    easily be removed from the premises if so desired.

    I honestly see no need for any "add-on" cards for additional safety and/or
    convenience. When the time comes that a new HD is necessary to replace the
    one residing in the mobile rack, it's a simple matter for the user to slide
    out the tray (caddy) from the mobile rack, remove the drive from the tray,
    plop in the new drive and reconnect. And do all this from the comfort of his
    or her computer chair. No need to get into the "guts" of the computer; no
    need to make complicated connects/disconnects/component changes, etc. A
    simple operation taking less than five minutes in most cases.

    And this just *begins* to enumerate the advantages of a removable HD
    configuration. With the new HD in place, the user simply "clones" his/her
    internal working HD to the new one using a disk imaging program such as
    Symantec's Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image. No need to partition or
    format the new drive; no need to install the operating system; no need to
    install programs and data files. All this is taken care of in one fell swoop
    by the cloning operation.

    For a large number of personal computer users, equipping their desktop
    computer(s) with removable hard drives (preferably two) holds enormous
    advantages. Based on my experience with helping hundreds of home & business
    users install removable HDs in their desktop computers, I can virtually
    guarantee that once a user works with this hardware arrangement, his or her
    *only* regret is that they didn't have this type of arrangement in their
    current or previous computer(s). It's that good.
    Anna

    Thanks to all, I get it!

    I guess my "technical hurdle" (sometimes knowing a little can be
    dangerous), is (was) this:

    How does the XP Setup, when booted-to from the CD, know which HDisk the
    bios it going to boot to, in order to know which boot.ini it needs to
    modify? I gather that it simply "assumes" HDisk 0. In 99% of the cases
    that would be a valid assumption, I guess. But you know what they say
    about assuming something...

    BTW, my system boots to a Raid 0 on SATA 1+2, which logically maps-in as
    IDE3M, and is therefore HDisk 1. Oooops. [The Zip on IDE1M is HDisk 0;
    1S is spare, and IDE2M and S both hold opticals]. I would fill 1S w/ the
    second HD in this case. It would therefore be designated HDisk 2 [rule:
    ide masters, in order, followed by ide slaves].

    I could of course move the Zip to 1S, put the new HD into 1M, and then...

    Oy, my brain hurts!

    Anyway...

    -----

    The book I checked (XP Inside Out, "the bible"), said I needed to run XP
    Setup FROM MY CURRENT WINDOWS (ie, run it, don't boot to it) in order for
    it to work. That made sense, since it would then know (or assume,
    depending on your viewpoint!) to mod the exisiting boot.ini.

    Thanks again, I think I need a wiff of Old Toby now...

    It's kept in boot.ini on the parent's drive. It is super-hidden, you can't
    see it if you view hidden files.

    > Thanks to all, I get it!
    >
    > I guess my "technical hurdle" (sometimes knowing a little can be
    > dangerous), is (was) this:
    >
    > How does the XP Setup, when booted-to from the CD, know which HDisk the
    > bios it going to boot to, in order to know which boot.ini it needs to
    > modify? I gather that it simply "assumes" HDisk 0. In 99% of the cases
    > that would be a valid assumption, I guess. But you know what they say
    > about assuming something...
    >
    > BTW, my system boots to a Raid 0 on SATA 1+2, which logically maps-in as
    > IDE3M, and is therefore HDisk 1. Oooops. [The Zip on IDE1M is HDisk 0;
    > 1S is spare, and IDE2M and S both hold opticals]. I would fill 1S w/ the
    > second HD in this case. It would therefore be designated HDisk 2 [rule:
    > ide masters, in order, followed by ide slaves].
    >
    > I could of course move the Zip to 1S, put the new HD into 1M, and then...
    >
    > Oy, my brain hurts!
    >
    > Anyway...
    >
    > -----
    >
    > The book I checked (XP Inside Out, "the bible"), said I needed to run XP
    > Setup FROM MY CURRENT WINDOWS (ie, run it, don't boot to it) in order for
    > it to work. That made sense, since it would then know (or assume,
    > depending on your viewpoint!) to mod the exisiting boot.ini.
    >
    > Thanks again, I think I need a wiff of Old Toby now...

Boot HD Windows XP