The advantages of windows 7 over windows xp

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
^ that.

And a slightly better Windows Task Manager. Windows Media Player is awesome (depending if you have good hardware of course!) It's better looking, you can have a wallpaper slide show (you can change this at different intervals), supposedly XP won't be supported by Microsoft in 2014, Win 7 is good for at least 2020. I have also found that videos work better with 7 then i had with XP.

There are some disadvantages of Windows 7. You'll need a pretty hefty system compared to what you can run with XP. I don't remember the system requirements off hand but for 32 bit system, it's ideal to have at least 2GB (or more depending on your usage) 4GB for a 64 bit system. That's all i remember about the system requirements.. i want to say 1Ghz or better processor (a 2.0Ghz dual core or better processor for smooth performance) and a SSD for lightning speed loading. This is just based on my experience and i don't like slow computers much. And then there is the Aero, which you'll need a GPU that can handle it. I have a dual boot system with XP and 7 because there are some certain things i use that won't work with Win7. That and XP is still awesome with older machines (granted if you have a good system for it).

Better everything

Windows Vista (NT 6.0) was an almost complete rewrite of Windows XP (NT 5.1 / 5.2). Windows 7 (NT 6.1) is a massive incremental update over Windows Vista

There are enormous differences both aesthetically and under the hood.

Vista and 7 introduced a massive paradigm shift which further separates the user from the system in an effort to improve security and stability. Unfortunately it took application developers 5 years to hop on board.

cl-scott

Honorable
Not sure what else can be added, except to also say that along with the massive under the hood changes mentioned by Pinhedd and Hawkeye22, includes a pretty massive overhaul of the Windows UI. XP was a 2D GDI+ based system, whereas Vista and 7's Aero are more or less a DirectX app, so make better use of the GPU for improving performance and responsiveness of the UI. Thus paving the way for a lot of new multimedia heavy features that simply wouldn't be possible with XP.

Also, we shouldn't overlook the fact that support for XP ends soon, while 7 will be supported for a long time to come. Making it easier to keep malware and other pests off your computer, and newer versions of programs will be less and less likely to work with XP.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Windows search much better.
Aero Snap (the auto window resize function), the best feature ever, since I usually do more than a thing at the same time. This function alone worths the XP-> 7 upgrade.

Unless you got Core (i3/i5/i7) cpu and more then 4 go memory, I would stick to win xp

xp run games smoother (dx 9) and has better response time for most program on older system.

I tested a few games (skirym, GTA4, DDO, ) on xp vs win 7 with core i5-2500k (no overclock) 4 go ram, 550 ti top and found that games ran better with xp. (for GTA 4 it was way less laggy on xp than win 7)

Then I tested with win 7 with 8 gb memory: still a little bit laggy (even if I optimized GPU and such)

But if you use ssd, Win 7 is a must

Bottom line:

If you have a bran new computer get win7, if older computer stick with xp

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

You can always just "net user administrator /active:yes" to enable the root Administrator account and therefore have full admin rights.

The key thing is why are you asking ?
There are very few scenario's that I can think of where XP would be better than W7. the main one would be if you were running an old PC as has been said or if you need support for really old hardware,

Mactronix :)

Smeg45

Honorable
Mar 9, 2012

Say what? The 550 is a poor gaming card which is why it lagged. XP is an old piece of insecure trash. Throw it out and get a modern secure system, not one that was designed back when VHS was king.

Next time use a gaming video card. DirectX 11 is more demanding than DirectX 9