Mike

Splendid

XP gets to the Windows XP splash screen and reboots. I tried to start it in
safe mode and it reboots. I did a fixboot, fixmbr. Still reboots. Any ideas?

CD

Distinguished
May 1, 2004

Try swapping out the memory in the PC. Bad memory can cause this.

"Mike" wrote:

> XP gets to the Windows XP splash screen and reboots. I tried to start it in
> safe mode and it reboots. I did a fixboot, fixmbr. Still reboots. Any ideas?

Mike

Splendid

I thought about that too. I am currently running memtest. It's been running
about an hour. Looks good, so far.

"CD" wrote:

> Try swapping out the memory in the PC. Bad memory can cause this.
>
> "Mike" wrote:
>
> > XP gets to the Windows XP splash screen and reboots. I tried to start it in
> > safe mode and it reboots. I did a fixboot, fixmbr. Still reboots. Any ideas?

Hi,

What were you last doing with the system before this started?

Have you tried running chkdsk c: /r from the recovery console yet?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

> XP gets to the Windows XP splash screen and reboots. I tried to start it
> in
> safe mode and it reboots. I did a fixboot, fixmbr. Still reboots. Any
> ideas?

Mike

Splendid

I ran chkdsk. This is a customer's computer and he said it was running fine
before this. What do you think about a repair install? Are there any other
options? Mike.

"Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What were you last doing with the system before this started?
>
> Have you tried running chkdsk c: /r from the recovery console yet?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > XP gets to the Windows XP splash screen and reboots. I tried to start it
> > in
> > safe mode and it reboots. I did a fixboot, fixmbr. Still reboots. Any
> > ideas?

Hi Mike,

Depends on what the consumer was last doing with it. Repair install is
fairly safe, but may not resolve a problem caused by malevolent third party
software.

--

>I ran chkdsk. This is a customer's computer and he said it was running fine
> before this. What do you think about a repair install? Are there any other
> options? Mike.
>
> "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What were you last doing with the system before this started?
>>
>> Have you tried running chkdsk c: /r from the recovery console yet?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > XP gets to the Windows XP splash screen and reboots. I tried to start
>> > it
>> > in
>> > safe mode and it reboots. I did a fixboot, fixmbr. Still reboots. Any
>> > ideas?

HI Mike,

>XP gets to the Windows XP splash screen and reboots. I tried to start it in
>safe mode and it reboots. I did a fixboot, fixmbr. Still reboots. Any ideas?

This is a longshot .... but I once had this problem.

In my case the Drive with the system ran out of harddisk space. So
when windows starts up it tries to make a pagefile.sys file - the
windows swap file. However there was not enough place on the harddisk
to create the swap file - and so the eternal rebooting.

I managed to get the blue screen and saw the error code, found the
solution.

I had to dismount the harddisk, place it in another computer with XP,
free up some space and then it would boot.

Regards Leif.