Looking at replacing my desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.

p0ut

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
I've been considering getting a laptop for 2 whole days now, hopefully you folks can help me out deciding if i need one or not.

1_What is your budget? hm, say £400. I'm not sure what the price range on lappies is these days.

2_How much screen do you need? Fairly large screen. I'm used to a 21" lcd, which I guess isn't out of the question of linking up to the laptop if i need to. >12"

3_How much screen resolution do you want? I like smallness, upwards of 1152 x 864

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Desktop replacement. I need to save some space that this current beast takes up

5_How much battery life do you need? Not really an issue, will probably just run it off power. Maybe 20hours? Not sure, enough to do some wireless activities or watch a film

6_Do you want to play games with it? If so then what kind of settings you want to play your games?(Low,Medium or High)? Yea, at first I was just gonna give up. But TF2 is awesome for a blast every now and again. I'd like to still be able to handle some of the intense firefights. WIth the source engine thought I know its heavy on the processor over the graphics card.

7_What other tasks do you want to with your laptop? Watch films, play music, maybe some digital editing every now and again (nothing intense)

8_How much storage(H.D.D Capacity)do you need? Hm, 250gig?

9_If you just want to buy from some sites that you like,please post the link of them. Not an issue

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? 2-3 years

Thanks in advance for your replies.

americanbrian

Distinguished
for 400 pounds you are not going to get everything you want in a brand new laptop.

You can pick up last gen dell xps laptops from ebay for around that price. something I myself am considering. Just make sure that the seller is reputable and has a good returns policy.

Also, 20 hours battery life HAHAHAHAH ROFL.

No laptops I have ever seen have this long a useful battery life. 8 hours is about the most and even they are on loew power, non desktop replacement rigs.

good luck.

pcfreak101

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
I believe the new Dell Vostro laptops have batteries that last around 17 hours, and I THINK they are within your price range. I was looking at about $900 USD, though I'm not sure of the conversion rate. You should go over there and check them out.

BeakerUK

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
In that Price range the HP G6000 series are one of the nicer machines to use on a day-to-day basis. They are only (usally) AMD Turion X2s, but they aren't too bad TBH. I'm typing on mine at the moment. They don't have ExpressCard slots, or card readers, but they do the basics. Screen res goes up to 1280x800(Though that's true of any 15.2" lappy in your price range). Battey life is about 2 hours. Retail cost of them most places is £399.99.

You'll not usually get a "real" DTR any place for under about £600.

p0ut

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
Thats for the replies guys. I don't really have a clue about latops as you may have gathered. Battery Life isn't explicit, but 4 hours would be good so it doesnt get arsey if i watch a film or something.
I could extend my budget as well, but basically I want to be paying less than £800 or I'd just build myself a new pc.

BeakerUK

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
Personally I would look at ebuyer.

Something like This might suit. One of the guys I work with has the smaller screen version, and it's a nice looking, and well finished machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.