best power for a newbie

ZerO

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2003

IF you are a newbie, what is the best power to play to understand the
game.
something that is easy and you won't get eliminated so quickly
or maybe you can suggest something that you get eliminated quickly too.

Zero wrote:
> IF you are a newbie, what is the best power to play to understand the
> game.

Understanding the game is a matter of understanding the
people you are playing with/against, much more than
understanding the powers.

> something that is easy and you won't get eliminated so quickly

Turkey is easiest to defend, France is probably the strongest,
though those judgments are often a matter of playing style,
rather than board geography.

> or maybe you can suggest something that you get eliminated quickly
> too.

Austria is often the first power eliminated. As Austria you
need to talk to everyone, and get at least two of Italy, Russia
and Turkey to not target you. It can be a good way to learn.

Eric.

In article <1123864823.188634.88810@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
Zero <talltree0@yahoo.com> wrote:
>IF you are a newbie, what is the best power to play to understand the
>game.
>something that is easy and you won't get eliminated so quickly
>or maybe you can suggest something that you get eliminated quickly too.

I think England and Turkey, because of their corner positions and
natural defenses, are easier for a novice to start with than the others.
With a central power like Austria, if your negotations don't go well
in the first year you can literally lose the game by the second.
This is a lot less likely with the corner powers.

If you have a choice, I'd try England. The opening English moves are
pretty straightforward and don't require immediate conflict with the
neighbors.

Mary Kuhner mkkuhner@eskimo.com

"Zero" <talltree0@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
> IF you are a newbie, what is the best power to play to understand the
> game.
> something that is easy and you won't get eliminated so quickly
> or maybe you can suggest something that you get eliminated quickly too.
Italy.

With Italy it is difficult to win, but it is also difficult to get
eliminated quickly.

The first year, you don't have to do anything.

Regards,

Lucas

Typically, in games with a mix of new and experience players, we try to give
the new players France and Turkey. England is a poor choice because new
players typically have trouble with the mechanics of order-writing, and
because of all the convoys required with England and the subtleties required
in actually defending it, newbies often botch it up. The central powers are
difficult for many experienced players to play well, let alone newbies, and
Russia is practically playing two countries.

Which leaves France and Turkey :) France has a strong early position,
almost always gets 2 builds in 01 (assuming the neighbors arent playing jump
the newbie), and has a defensible position on the edge of the board.
Turkey, similarly has a corner position, with fewer options in 01 and less
room to make a big screw up over the first few years of the game.

-Adam

Lucas Kruijswijk wrote:

> Italy.
>
> With Italy it is difficult to win, but it is also difficult to get
> eliminated quickly.
>
> The first year, you don't have to do anything.

I have made good experiances with Italy as well.

May I give you two other hints:

1 - Choose a non-anonymous game.
In the beginning it is very hard to write to distant countries, if you
do not know what could be donoe on the board together.
However, if you have the option to tqalk to the person about more things
then the game, keeping commuication is easier. It is not a guarantee,
but it is surely worth a try.

2 - If you lose (probably you will) find your errors.
I have lost all of my first games. After every loss I found out that at
some point I made an error that lead to the loss, sometimes it was done
several years before. remeber these errors, and don't do them again.

Write press, send in your orders before the deadline, and,
most important,
have fun!

Dieter