What is the version of Windows Media Player in Windows XP?

I thought it was version 9. But I tried to install this:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817855

and couldn't because the error message said I either don't have Windows
Media Player 9 installed or the one I have installed alreay has this update.
But the later cannot be true for Windows XP came out in 2001 and this
article is dated 2004. I am at SP1.

--
George Hester
_______________________________

How about opening Windows Media Player and clicking on Help then About
Windows Media Player?
--
That's just like my opinion, Man........

George Hester wrote:
> I thought it was version 9. But I tried to install this:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817855
>
> and couldn't because the error message said I either don't have Windows
> Media Player 9 installed or the one I have installed alreay has this update.
> But the later cannot be true for Windows XP came out in 2001 and this
> article is dated 2004. I am at SP1.

Windows XP came with Windows Media Player version 8 originally. The current
version of Windows Media Player is 10. You can get the current version from
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/default.aspx.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Try it and see what it says on a new installation ugga.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"uggabugga" <uggabugga@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How about opening Windows Media Player and clicking on Help then About
> Windows Media Player?
> --
> That's just like my opinion, Man........
>

> "George Hester" wrote:
>
> > I thought it was version 9. But I tried to install this:
> >
> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817855
> >
> > and couldn't because the error message said I either don't have Windows
> > Media Player 9 installed or the one I have installed alreay has this
update.
> > But the later cannot be true for Windows XP came out in 2001 and this
> > article is dated 2004. I am at SP1.
> >
> > --
> > George Hester
> > _______________________________

Open Windows media player>Help>About Windows Media Player-there you can
verify which version you have.
To download the latest version:-
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/mp10/default.aspx

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

George Hester wrote:

> I thought it was version 9. But I tried to install this:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;817855
>
> and couldn't because the error message said I either don't have Windows
> Media Player 9 installed or the one I have installed alreay has this update.
> But the later cannot be true for Windows XP came out in 2001 and this
> article is dated 2004. I am at SP1.
>
> --
> George Hester

It says Windows Media Player for Windows XP. It does not give a version
except for a version number. A look at dxdiag should tell you that version
numbers can be misleading. Thx anyway the first post provided what I asked
for I had never heard of a version 8 for Windows Media Player so when I saw
the version number being 8.00.00.4487 I didn't know what to think. So I
asked and 1 out of 3 isn't bad.

--
George Hester