clean registry

how to clean up registry on winxp pro sp2 ?
5 answers Last reply
More about clean registry

    You can also get norton systemworks and try to clean it with windoctor.
    Works perfect!!

    The only one I have used and trusted is found in System mechanic.

    You can try it free for 30 days and the trial is fully functional.
    http://www.iolo.com/sm/index.cfm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    TJS wrote:
    > how to clean up registry on winxp pro sp2 ?

    What specific problem are you experiencing that makes you think your
    registry might benefit from "cleaning?"

    The registry contains all of the operating system's "knowledge" of
    the computer's hardware devices, installed software, the location of the
    device drivers, and the computer's configuration. A misstep in the
    registry can have severe consequences. One should not even turning
    loose a poorly understood automated "cleaner," unless he is fully
    confident that he knows *exactly* what is going to happen as a result of
    each and every change. Having seen the results of inexperienced people
    using automated registry "cleaners," I can only advise all but the most
    experienced computer technicians (and/or hobbyists) to avoid them all.
    Experience has shown me that such tools simply are not safe in the hands
    of the inexperienced user.

    The only thing needed to safely clean your registry is knowledge
    and Regedit.exe. If you lack the knowledge and experience to maintain
    your registry by yourself, then you also lack the knowledge and
    experience to safely configure and use any automated registry cleaner,
    no matter how safe they claim to be.

    Further, no one has ever demonstrated, to my satisfaction, that the
    use of an automated registry cleaner, particularly by an untrained,
    inexperienced computer user, does any real good. There's certainly been
    no empirical evidence offered to demonstrate that the use of such
    products to "clean" WinXP's registry improves a computer's performance
    or stability.

    What specific problem are you experiencing that you *know* beyond
    all reasonable doubt will be fixed by using an automated registry
    cleaner? If you do have a problem that is rooted in the registry, it
    would be far better to simply edit (after backing up, of course) only
    the specific key(s) and/or value(s) that are causing the problem. Why
    use a shotgun when a scalpel will do the job? Additionally, the
    manually changing of one or two registry entries is far less likely to
    have the dire consequences of allowing an automated product to make
    multiple changes simultaneously.

    I always use Regedit.exe. I trust my own experience and judgment
    far more than I would any automated registry cleaner. I strongly
    encourage others to acquire the knowledge, as well.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    In news:u2vfa6PeFHA.1448@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
    TJS <nospam@here.com> typed:

    > how to clean up registry on winxp pro sp2 ?

    Leave it alone. It doesn't need cleaning, and registry cleaners
    are more likely to do harm than provide a benefit.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    I find it surprising that anything Norton could clean any registry.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1119653342.292997.48790@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
    NeoMinds <neominds@gmail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > You can also get norton systemworks and try to clean it with windoctor.
    > Works perfect!!

Registry Microsoft Windows XP