HTML Document Virus?

Shmister

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
The past couple days my SSD has been absolutely full, and i have no idea how. It is only used as a boot device for windows 7 and yet the 120GB drive is completely full. I deleted a few things i found on the drive and it free'd up some space but within 15min the space was gone. I have finally located a file in C:\logs called PinLog, which is a Chrome HTML Document. If i open the folder where the document is i can see the Size of the file grow right then by 100KB a sec. When i first found it and deleted it, it had free'd up around 70GB of space. The problem now is the everytime i delete it it just comes back 1sec later. My question to any of you is how do i somehow block this Document or stop it. (I didnt know where to go for help with this since this forum is the only one i use regarding PC hardware so i thoguht id try). Thanks in Advance for any Help and or any advice on where to get help on this.

Solution

Yes. Power on the PC with the SSD's power cable unplugged. Once into PartedMagic plug the power into the SSD.

SATA devices are hotswappable so there's no risk of damage, don't worry.

Then open the Erase Disk and it should show up at the bottom of the drive list

When it asks for a password leave it as NULL
HTML is a document markup language. Take a look at the file, see what's inside of it.

There are a couple of malware apps which fill the hard disk with junk data then try and get you to pay them to stop doing it. It's just a variation of the fake antivirus.

If you have an SSD use PartedMagic to zero out the SSD. Do not write zeroes or anything like that, use the ATA Secure Erase command.

This has the added advantage of restoring any lost write performance

Shmister

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
I was actually trying to do PartedMagic before i posted this thread and i made the boot device and everything, loaded into parted magic but at the erase prompt my SSD was always frozen. So i tried to put to sleep and then get it out of freeze and it never worked. Is there any other way to take it out of freeze mode?

Yes. Power on the PC with the SSD's power cable unplugged. Once into PartedMagic plug the power into the SSD.

SATA devices are hotswappable so there's no risk of damage, don't worry.

Then open the Erase Disk and it should show up at the bottom of the drive list

When it asks for a password leave it as NULL

Solution